tvheadend kodi teletext subtitles
Now i have learned something new.

Teletext based subtitles work (ex movie channels in sd, hd is dvbsub)
But enabling teletext page 199 subs (often closed caption subs) in the audio settings dialog isn't possible.

To bad, it works in mediaportal
Maybe some developer could have a chat with someone over at mediaportal Smile
(2015-04-05, 14:44)switchcore Wrote:
(2015-04-04, 00:38)noggin Wrote: Wonder if this is related to multiple channel subtitles being carried on the same channel (i.e. SVT1 on 199 and SVT2 on 299 on both channels? Do TV4 and Sjuan carry both channels' subtitles on each other?)

It's not like that anymore.
All channels use page 199 now.
Tested on svt1, svt2, tv4, kanal5, sjuan (also their hd equivalents)
Ah - I heard it was changing - didn't know it had.
(2015-04-05, 20:18)switchcore Wrote: Now i have learned something new.

Teletext based subtitles work (ex movie channels in sd, hd is dvbsub)
But enabling teletext page 199 subs (often closed caption subs) in the audio settings dialog isn't possible.

To bad, it works in mediaportal
Maybe some developer could have a chat with someone over at mediaportal Smile

I also hope Kodi will get support for dvb subtitles.
I am in Denmark using the cable provider Yousee (DVB-C).

I have tried numerous pvr-backend in Kodi - but Kodi does not display the dvb teletext subtitles from any of them.
Tried:
- ServerWMC
- DVBLink
- TVheadend

It seems at the moment only Mediaportal and WMC supports dvb teletext subtitles.

Maybe its because the issue is limited to the Nordic region - and we are so few people :-) that no one has prioritized the function yet. From what I can read regular dvb subtitles work for some people in rest of Europe.
So maybe we need to find some Nordic Kodi devs to ask for help on this.
Only subs that you have to enable with numbers dont work with Tvheadend and Kodi in sweden ( SVT 1& SVT 2)
All other teletext and dvb subs works fine.
(2015-05-01, 09:15)Jönke Wrote: Only subs that you have to enable with numbers dont work with Tvheadend and Kodi in sweden ( SVT 1& SVT 2)
All other teletext and dvb subs works fine.

I test tested with the latest Kodi nightly (Isengard beta) and serverwmc - I can load teletext menu with "v" but I don't get any subs.
I tested on DR1 (danish national broadcaster).

the danish national broadcaster - DR - uses fixed teletext pages for its channels - so the perfect solution would be if we could set a fixed page per channel in Kodi, and it would activate this sub, when we activate sub display on a programme we are watching (live or recorded - for my personal use I only need it for recorded tv, but others might want it for live-tv as well).

Channel Teletext page with subs
DR1 398
DR2 397
DR 3 396
DRK 398
DR Ultra 395
DR Ramasjang 397
Try v , pick sub page with numbers and hit enter?
(2015-05-01, 12:45)Jönke Wrote: Try v , pick sub page with numbers and hit enter?

just tried to also hit enter - it does not make a difference. I think the issue is that the provider uses DVB teletext subtitles - not regular DVB subtitles or pure teletext subtitles.
I read on other forums/posts - that this is an issue - I often see it from nordic posters - so maybe its more common to use DVB teletext subtitles in the nordic countries.

A thing I noticed was that when I have hit V the media control buttons not appear, so teletext somehow takes over control - WMC and MP does not do that, they just display the teletext subs like all other subs.
XBMC 13.2 Git:2014-08-17 and SKY UK DVB-S streams from satellite tuner, for example BBC 1 HD and BBC 2 HD, perfectly show DVB subtitles. You need to enable them under audio settings when you watch channel in fullsreen mode.

There is another issue, already known more than 2 years, that teletext subtitles are out of sync: http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=142333
(2015-05-01, 13:52)lawin1 Wrote: XBMC 13.2 Git:2014-08-17 and SKY UK DVB-S streams from satellite tuner, for example BBC 1 HD and BBC 2 HD, perfectly show DVB subtitles. You need to enable them under audio settings when you watch channel in fullsreen mode.

There is another issue, already known more than 2 years, that teletext subtitles are out of sync: http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=142333

Subtitles are already activated in the audio menu - but Kodi does not recognize anyone

see screenshot here:
http://screencast.com/t/yvnPgClN

regarding BBC - its probably because they use regular DVB subs - not the DVB teletext subs used in Denmark (and Sweden from what I can read on the forum)
There are no subtitles in the stream, that's why you don't get any.
(2015-05-02, 10:16)negge Wrote: There are no subtitles in the stream, that's why you don't get any.

its an interesting case - because I can get subs in WMC - so somewhere they must be there.
When I test in VLC - it shows a sub stream on teletext - but cannot show it when I select the apropriate page 398.

In Mediainfo it does not show any indication of a sub stream - but that might be because it cannot fully read the wtv format
(2015-05-01, 15:42)poppax Wrote:
(2015-05-01, 13:52)lawin1 Wrote: XBMC 13.2 Git:2014-08-17 and SKY UK DVB-S streams from satellite tuner, for example BBC 1 HD and BBC 2 HD, perfectly show DVB subtitles. You need to enable them under audio settings when you watch channel in fullsreen mode.

Subtitles are already activated in the audio menu - but Kodi does not recognize anyone

see screenshot here:
http://screencast.com/t/yvnPgClN

regarding BBC - its probably because they use regular DVB subs - not the DVB teletext subs used in Denmark (and Sweden from what I can read on the forum)

The BBC use both DVB Subtitles and WST Subtitles (aka World Systems Teletext) on satellite.

This is because there are two satellite platforms in the UK - Sky (Pay TV) and Freesat (Free TV) and the BBC (and other broadcasters) broadcast a single version of their channels for both platforms, so duplicate subtitles in both formats. They also broadcast EPG information in both the Sky and Freesat proprietary formats, and in some cases Interactive and Digital Text applications in MHEG5 (Freesat) and Sky's OpenTV system.

Sky boxes take WST Subtitles, Freesat boxes take DVB Subtitles. When I play back a .ts recording made from satellite of a UK channel I can chose between the two in Kodi.

(DVB Subs are bitmap based with fonts chosen by broadcaster, WST Subs are character based with fonts chosen by the receiver software)

On DVB-T/T2 terrestrial all receivers take DVB Subtitles, so the BBC only broadcast DVB Subs, with no WST on this platform.

I think one reason that some countries stuck with WST and others went for DVB Subtitles is that some countries continue to use teletext for other purposes so it makes sense to continue to use it for subtitles too? NRK in Norway went to DVB Subtitles, I think partially, because they no longer hard-subtitle non-English content, and use DVB Subs to add the Norwegian subtitles. Using DVB Subtitles is aesthetically more pleasing (and under broadcaster control for look) than WST Subtitles (which can be a bit blocky and old fashioned looking on some boxes)
sorry to jump in on a old post I have a similar problem teletext subtitles works fine on any channel but not in the autdio settings
on saying that if subtitles are activated and i change audio i see one line of subtitles
for the love of god i cant work out how to keep them going, i could use teletext subtitles but they are so BIG
Im in the uk kodi 12.2 frodo tvheadend cable
Frodo hasn't been supported for ages, please try a newer version and see if the problem has been fixed.
ok thanks I'm buggered then can't update kodi on this box

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
tvheadend kodi teletext subtitles0