Win Install Windows and Kodi on a USB Flash Drive?
Hi:

I've a Zotac ZBOX ID62 which i'm going to use as media player at home. Since this mini PC only supports HD with 9.5mm height, i'm going to use a Samsung Spinpoint 2TB, but all the space is crucial, because I've a lot of things for the kids. So i was thinking on install Windows 8.1 and Kodi on a USB flash.

Is this a good idea? What minimum size do you recommend? Is it really important to have an USB flash with high writing speed, or high read speed is enough to run fast (like boot fast, etc...) ?

Regards.
Why windows then. From what you described I'd say OpenELEC is the way to go.
2 simple reasons:

- I've a software that needs to be running and only runs on windows (although i can run it on another computer)
- Will the remote that comes with the Zotac Box work on OpenELEC?

Regards.
It will be much slower to run the os from usb. I would not recommend that. With a 2 TB drive you can't afford 40 gigs for windows??
(2015-03-30, 13:58)sem2006 Wrote: - Will the remote that comes with the Zotac Box work on OpenELEC?

Regards.

It should works out of the box.
(2015-03-30, 14:58)wheemer Wrote: It will be much slower to run the os from usb. I would not recommend that. With a 2 TB drive you can't afford 40 gigs for windows??

I'm trying to save as much space as possible..Would 40GB be enough for Windows 8.1+XBMC+Chrome ?

I'm going to give a try on OpenELEC also. Any particular USB flash recommendations?
I have a 40 gig drive in my miniPC

It's running windows 8.1 all updates, firefox, chrome, Kodi and a few other programs.

Currently it sits at 20.6 free of 36.7

If you want the best Kodi experience and your machine is low powered, then Openelec will be faster.
I'm trying OpenELEC and i'm liking it Wink

Now i need to find out how to remap a key on my remote to change the audio track (the red key, for example..)

Any useful link explaining it well, would be helpful
So are you saying you can literally run windows and KODI straight from a usb flash drive without needing to install it onto a drive? Ie if I have a 6tb mycloud could I use a usb drive to run KODI, Media Browser from it because it will not allow me to install & run it from the actual drive cuz it came pre installed with "Twonky" & "an Itunes" server but the twonky only broadcasts out DLNA which for over about 20 movies is a pretty big pain to read through nothing but txt plus its no help at all if your trying to make a decision on what to watch.?
(2015-03-30, 20:11)sem2006 Wrote: I'm trying OpenELEC and i'm liking it Wink

Now i need to dinf out how to remap a key on my remote to change the audio track (the red key, for example..)

Any useful link explaining it well, would be helpful

http://kodi.wiki/view/Keymap
(2015-03-31, 02:39)Tommyboy660 Wrote: So are you saying you can literally run windows and KODI straight from a usb flash drive without needing to install it onto a drive? Ie if I have a 6tb mycloud could I use a usb drive to run KODI, Media Browser from it because it will not allow me to install & run it from the actual drive cuz it came pre installed with "Twonky" & "an Itunes" server but the twonky only broadcasts out DLNA which for over about 20 movies is a pretty big pain to read through nothing but txt plus its no help at all if your trying to make a decision on what to watch.?

No...i'm running openELEC from a pen drive. Windows is booting from the HD. But that could be an idea Big Grin

(2015-03-31, 07:14)oldpoem Wrote: http://kodi.wiki/view/Keymap

Thanks! Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Install Windows and Kodi on a USB Flash Drive?0