Thinking about a new Box
Never heard of XBMC back when people were modding xboxes, probably because I never had an xbox. First dose of HTPC for me was sitting with a big pile of blu-rays and dvds, a ps3, new samsung dlp, and an onkyo htib surround sound setup . . . and always hating the way we picked out movies. Go look under the TV at all the small names on the spines of the cases I put there, but put them back because I alphabetized them Wink The first I heard of was actually WMC on lifehacker. I went with that for a while but followed xbmc after also seeing it pushed on lifehacker. After Frodo hit beta I made the switch (hd-audio was important to me back then). TL;DR version - I liked it as a cheaper version of the kaleidoscope system, for ripped media

(2015-04-01, 05:34)Ned Scott Wrote: It's horrible that there are so many people out there that think that Kodi really is built around those add-ons, because then they think that Kodi itself is so poorly designed and frustrating. If you're going to pirate, for the love of god, do it right

While we are throwing out fun facts, I had never even heard of those add-ons before coming over to the forum and reading the "don't talk about fight club" post Wink Naturally what followed

Off to get all that stuff installed, then try it out. Cool . . . for about 5 seconds. Still can't understand how people can watch that stuff. Their server side bandwidth is so throttled you can't get anything better than ridiculously low bitrate SD. Maybe okay on an original iPhone or other silly small screen device, but on an HDTV or projector? Pass

I agree so much, if free is the goal, there are so many better ways to get better quality
(2015-04-01, 11:05)MediaPi Wrote: I'm sorry Ned. I should have phrased it better. Some users discover kodi through some addons. But to just take want i said diminishes kodi as the best media centre because I've got to know kodi and even without banned addons it's life changing. And agree kodi has never done anything to encourage their usage or changed in any way to accommodate these addons. Also whatever I said is (and I should have quoted before) my opinion.

Can I use April fools get out of jail card? Sorryyy

Nah, it's fine. I probably reacted to harshly myself, so sorry for that. It's just one of my pet peeves to say Kodi is for "those add-ons" when we've tried to distance ourselves from them, even though you didn't really mean it in that way. The fact that some people choose to use those add-ons doesn't even bother me, so long as they understand that any shortcomings of using file locker sites and changing listings/links is not a reflection of Kodi itself, etc.
(2015-04-01, 12:48)winestock Wrote:
(2015-04-01, 10:22)yaqh Wrote: @ned Scott so whats a "good" pirate streaming addon?

There is no such thing as a good pirate addon. If you want to pirate go figure it out somewhere else. Just as bad as when people use torrent sites. Stealing is still stealing no matter what your justification is to do so.

(2015-04-01, 12:57)winestock Wrote:
(2015-04-01, 05:34)Ned Scott Wrote: If you're going to pirate, for the love of god, do it right.

Did I just read those reads from you? And yes, I understand the context. But really?

I think there are two parts to "piracy", which is basically violating the copyright on a video. One is a moral argument, one is a technical argument, and they sometimes overlap.

Let's say someone pays for cable, but forgets to set their DVR for a show that was on cable. If they download that episode somehow and watch it, I would say that morally they've already paid to watch it at least once. It's probably arguable that they got it commercial free, and they can horde the file, but there's at least an argument to say that they did pay for that episode on some level. The technical argument says that they still broke copyright, no matter what the moral argument says.

Then there's arguments about copyright law itself. Copyright law was never meant to give people or corporations permanent control of their own work. Ironically, the original purpose of copyright was to encourage people to make creative works by giving them a limited time to make money off of it, to make it worth the effort, and then all works are supposed to become public domain. Since the introduction of such laws, there have been those (mostly big corporations) who have twisted them and now copyrights are absurdly extended. Disney's Snow White (1937!) should have been in the public domain a long time ago (though it can still be protected by trademark, which handles different things), but Disney keeps milking that cow.

There's a lot of grey areas in those examples, sure, but the point is I wouldn't group all "piracy" as the same.

However, that's just my own personal viewpoint. Remember, even if I thought piracy was always morally wrong, or if I thought piracy was the greatest thing in the world, the forum rules are not meant to be a moral stance on the issue. The forum rules are not a reflection of anyone's personal views. They're just technical rules to protect the Kodi project.
(2015-04-02, 03:31)winestock Wrote:
(2015-04-01, 13:47)yaqh Wrote:
(2015-04-01, 12:48)winestock Wrote: There is no such thing as a good pirate addon. If you want to pirate go figure it out somewhere else. Just as bad as when people use torrent sites. Stealing is still stealing no matter what your justification is to do so.

nobodies stealing anything just streaming what people put out there! if it's not downloaded and stored locally then it dose not belong to you , go figure it out!

There is nothing for me to figure out. I don't visit torrent websites and I sure don't go trolling the internet to find websites that do privacy. If I want to stream something I either buy it or I pay to stream it the legal way. Maybe you are the one you needs to go figure it out.

I am only pointing out what others are thinking, not everyone has money to burn!
(2015-04-02, 21:23)yaqh Wrote:
(2015-04-02, 03:31)winestock Wrote:
(2015-04-01, 13:47)yaqh Wrote: nobodies stealing anything just streaming what people put out there! if it's not downloaded and stored locally then it dose not belong to you , go figure it out!

There is nothing for me to figure out. I don't visit torrent websites and I sure don't go trolling the internet to find websites that do privacy. If I want to stream something I either buy it or I pay to stream it the legal way. Maybe you are the one you needs to go figure it out.

I am only pointing out what others are thinking, not everyone has money to burn!

If I can't afford something I go without or save up until I can afford the media whether it be physical or streaming. You are taking an entitled attitude.
Kodi 17, Transparency Skin
PogoPlug v4 running Arm Linux 4.4.63 as MySQL (mariadb) server.
Mac OS 10.12.5
2015 27" iMac 3.3 GHz Quad, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
2015 13" Macbook Pro, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD
AppleTV 4 TV OS 10
(2015-04-02, 06:58)Ned Scott Wrote: It's just one of my pet peeves to say Kodi is for "those add-ons" when we've tried to distance ourselves from them, even though you didn't really mean it in that way.

Which makes it even harder when you have reviews that convolute "those add-ons" with Kodi itself, like this:

Kodi, formerly known as XBMC, is a great app for many different reasons. Using different plugins allows you to view live TV, including sports, albeit in lower quality than one would like. There’s also tons of movie plugins that allow you to view the latest movies, and tons of TV plugins that allow you to watch the latest episodes of your favorite shows for free. Sure, it’s one of those gray area apps, but if you don’t have the cash to fork up for Netflix or Hulu Plus, and want live TV, movies and backlogs of your favorite shows, Kodi is a must have. It’s available for Windows, iOS and Android, and there are installation instructions on Kodi’s official site. If you’re having trouble figuring out what great plugins to get, check out the cordcutters subreddit.

http://www.gadgetreview.com/2015/02/8-be...g-the-cord
Forum Rules (wiki) | Banned add-ons (wiki) | Wiki (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
Giggity.
The Amiko a3 is worth a look! I've got one of these babies and it is pretty impressive for its size!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Thinking about a new Box0