Path substitution for entire "userdata" folder
Hello,

I'm new to the forum, but I'm a long time kodi(xbmc) user. I apologize in advance if maybe this feature has been already discussed but forum searching sometimes is difficult (and boring Smile ).

I'd like to know if would be possible to implement a feature to use pathsubstitution for the entire "userdata" folder to be able to transfer it on a NAS. Right know I'm using an external hard drive for storaging purpose (in order not to damage MMC) so I thought it'd be great using network drive instead of a local hard drive.

Thanks
Nice idea, that would make things way easier for shared libraries.

+1
Image Image
Did I Help? Add to my reputation
and make shit slow as feck in the process. anyways, just use your os and create a link..
Why would it be so slow?
Because network is a couple of orders slower than a hdd both for latency and throughput, maybe even 3 orders for an ssd.
NetBoot the whole thing :)
(2015-04-03, 18:07)ironic_monkey Wrote: Because network is a couple of orders slower than a hdd both for latency and throughput, maybe even 3 orders for an ssd.

You mean writing?

because for me I already have a shared NAS database for libraries and thumbnails, and my whole content is read from NAS, so I don't follow how much slower could it be.

as for using OS and link. I would have no clue how to do that on OpenElec.

--

NetbootHuhHuhHuhHuhHuh?? I like the sound of it.
Image Image
uhm. Mount the folder, link with ln -s. Or mount directly. Thumbs on a nas is pretty suboptimal.. It is supposed to be a fast cache.
(2015-04-03, 18:07)ironic_monkey Wrote: Because network is a couple of orders slower than a hdd both for latency and throughput, maybe even 3 orders for an ssd.

I'm no expert here, but I did a quick research and I found:

"Basically, a NAS server's speed varies between the speed of USB 2.0 and the speed of USB 3.0 (on a gigabit LAN)" (http://www.cnet.com/how-to/digital-stora...as-server/)

Right now I'm using a cubox-i4 with an old usb 2.0 drive and everything works fine. So I guess using my Gigabit LAN wouldn't be such a difference in terms of performance. And the same for every Gigabit Lan user.

Am I wrong?
Netbooting allows you to host the entire OS on a network location. Many motherboards can be 100% netbooted without any local drive memory. Some devices, such as the Raspberry Pi, will still need an SD card, but can have nearly everything else on a network location.
(2015-04-07, 12:17)Ned Scott Wrote: Netbooting allows you to host the entire OS on a network location. Many motherboards can be 100% netbooted without any local drive memory. Some devices, such as the Raspberry Pi, will still need an SD card, but can have nearly everything else on a network location.

would it work fine with many devices netbooting from the same location?

i.e. 3 cubox-i (es) (openelec) netbooting from the same NAS.
Image Image
Probably, but I've never tried it on a Cubox-I.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Path substitution for entire "userdata" folder1