MSI Cubi mini-desktops (Broadwell) now available $150 and up
(2015-05-06, 09:22)Roby77 Wrote: I don't understand why this box doesn't have Cir
Not sure Media Center use is the major use case the manufacturers have for these boxes - think they are aiming them as much as SFF desktops and kids bedroom, student room etc. PCs.

Also if you want to run them as a Media Center, with Windows on them, CIR isn't that useful - you are better off with a wireless keyboard/trackpad solution for accessing Netflix etc. CIR integration in Windows is pretty poor out of the box. Now MS have killed Windows Media Center (it isn't shipping in Windows 10) - another reason CIR has bitten the dust in the mainstream.
(2015-05-06, 05:58)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2015-05-06, 05:37)DocG Wrote: Damn, I just couldn't resist it at $106.66. Undecided

ditto

Was a good buy while it lasted. All gone now at this price point it seems. Mine has shipped. It'll be a while to get here, but I'm looking forward to having a play with the unit now.
(2015-05-06, 22:24)DocG Wrote: Was a good buy while it lasted. All gone now at this price point it seems. Mine has shipped. It'll be a while to get here, but I'm looking forward to having a play with the unit now.

mine will be here Fri (2 days from now) Smile
(2015-05-07, 07:26)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2015-05-06, 22:24)DocG Wrote: Was a good buy while it lasted. All gone now at this price point it seems. Mine has shipped. It'll be a while to get here, but I'm looking forward to having a play with the unit now.

mine will be here Fri (2 days from now) Smile

Nice! The earliest I can hope to get mine is the 18th. Feel free to report back with an inital impression. Smile
Does anyone know if this supports HDMI CES?
Thanks
(2015-05-07, 15:57)epicstruggle Wrote: Does anyone know if this supports HDMI CES?
Thanks

almost no PC's do, I expect this will be no exception
(2015-05-07, 16:19)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2015-05-07, 15:57)epicstruggle Wrote: Does anyone know if this supports HDMI CES?
Thanks

almost no PC's do, I expect this will be no exception
True, I wish they would start offering this.
I take it you meant CEC? Yes, it would be nice if these units had CEC, as I actually prefer it as primary remote option, but I highly doubt this is ever going to happen. Unless, of course, they'd make such units particularly as barebone media centers.
"Man, the Cubi, to buy RAM and comes without mSATA? Because I've looked at other sites and I saw that brings a mSATA 64GB and 2GB of RAM?" A friend say tome that is truth because he purchases INE and the cubi comes without Msata and RAM
(2015-05-09, 21:56)samueldavidfo_ Wrote: "Man, the Cubi, to buy RAM and comes without mSATA? Because I've looked at other sites and I saw that brings a mSATA 64GB and 2GB of RAM?" A friend say tome that is truth because he purchases INE and the cubi comes without Msata and RAM

MSI sells it as barebones only from what I can tell, but that may vary by region. You just add ram and a ssd.
(2015-05-09, 22:05)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2015-05-09, 21:56)samueldavidfo_ Wrote: "Man, the Cubi, to buy RAM and comes without mSATA? Because I've looked at other sites and I saw that brings a mSATA 64GB and 2GB of RAM?" A friend say tome that is truth because he purchases INE and the cubi comes without Msata and RAM

MSI sells it as barebones only from what I can tell, but that may vary by region. You just add ram and a ssd.

I've seen the Cubi specced with these in some places, but have only ever seen it for sale as barebones. Maybe the Celeron with RAM, SSD and Win 8.1 with Bing will be released for sale at a later date?

I've picked up a 32GB mSata drive for $20 (too bad it isn't M.2 as I've got a few spares) and have a few spare RAM sticks. Overall, still a decent price to get a Broadwell Kodi box running.

Shipping to over here will still add some, but it'll be shipped with other stuff and shouldn't dramatically increase shipping costs. Not expecting another HP Stream Mini debacle. That said, Matt, how big is the retail box compared to the one from the Chromebox?
(2015-05-10, 00:07)DocG Wrote: Shipping to over here will still add some, but it'll be shipped with other stuff and shouldn't dramatically increase shipping costs. Not expecting another HP Stream Mini debacle. That said, Matt, how big is the retail box compared to the one from the Chromebox?

it's roughly 20x20x10cm. Don't have a box for an HP ChromeBox for comparison, only Asus
(2015-05-10, 00:16)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2015-05-10, 00:07)DocG Wrote: Shipping to over here will still add some, but it'll be shipped with other stuff and shouldn't dramatically increase shipping costs. Not expecting another HP Stream Mini debacle. That said, Matt, how big is the retail box compared to the one from the Chromebox?

it's roughly 20x20x10cm. Don't have a box for an HP ChromeBox for comparison, only Asus

Thanks Matt! Nothing too overly dramatic.
(2015-05-10, 01:01)DocG Wrote: Thanks Matt! Nothing too overly dramatic.

np. BTW, I have a modded version of the latest MSI firmware (8.00) for the Cubi if you are interested. It contains an updated UEFI GOP driver (5.5.1032 vs 1031), updated legacy VGA BIOS (1038 vs 1032), and updated ME firmware (10.0.38.1000 vs 10.0.30.1072). Flashes with the standard MSI DOS update tool (thankfully boot guard / measured boot are not enabled on these boxes)
(2015-05-11, 09:10)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2015-05-10, 01:01)DocG Wrote: Thanks Matt! Nothing too overly dramatic.

np. BTW, I have a modded version of the latest MSI firmware (8.00) for the Cubi if you are interested. It contains an updated UEFI GOP driver (5.5.1032 vs 1031), updated legacy VGA BIOS (1038 vs 1032), and updated ME firmware (10.0.38.1000 vs 10.0.30.1072). Flashes with the standard MSI DOS update tool (thankfully boot guard / measured boot are not enabled on these boxes)

Thanks, I'll keep it in mind. Still looking at the 18th for delivery. Actually, I did watch Lon's review and he mentioned that you cannot boot off the 2.5" SSD. If that's the case, is there a modded firmware which allows you to?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
MSI Cubi mini-desktops (Broadwell) now available $150 and up0