Req "Various Artists" returned to artists list
As far as I know there is no dev for the music section anymore. So good luck indeed.
(2015-08-30, 15:30)DarkHelmet Wrote: As far as I know there is no dev for the music section anymore. So good luck indeed.

PR raised 7938 (PR), it was an easy change (but I messed up the Git). First of many perhaps?
DaveBlake - Thankyou very much for this ! You rock !
PR7938 has now been merged. That means this will be fixed in subsequent Jarvis nightly builds, and eventailly in Jarvis when released. So "Various artists" will appear once more in the artists list in Jarvis. Smile

This change prompted dev discussion of how "various artists" is handled in multi-lingual situations (not well), and on what makes a compilation album (and why is it useful to know). If you have a user view on these things then make it known.
Cheers Dave

I was following the github discussion up to a point

Can you summarise the points that next need to be addressed? happy to discuss in new thread or via PM

My usage / opinion in regards to some of the github discussion is as follows... not sure if this helps...

My use of the setting to hide artists only on compilations is to keep the artist list uncluttered.....

I have personally always thought of compilations as various artists albums.... that is to say, the albums that I would expect to find in the "Various Artists" section of a traditional record store since way back in the day

In my opinion / my library... 2 artists collaborating does not constitute a "compilation" and does not belong with "Various Artists" ... for example Ben Harper & the Blind Boys from Alabama" has it's own artist entry after "Ben Harper" ..

musicbrainz ID's both concept and kodi handling eludes me ...I briefly looked at the software once but it didnt seem intuitive. I have meticulously tagged my collection since long before musicbrainz and it results in a polished library ....the one time I tried to play with musicbrainz it mucked everything up

Is it essentially a tool for people who cant tag? using same or different values in the album artist / artist fields seems like a sound way to identify compilations?

Anyway, thanks again for your help, really appreciate it

cheers

Wazza

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
"Various Artists" returned to artists list2