Copying from one SD to another?
I’m having trouble finding my answer and likely because I am not asking it correctly. My goal is to take my OSMC Kodi setup on my Pi to another Pi. I figured cloning it would be the best way to do this but I’m not finding the answer. So, should I clone it or is copying it from one SD to another SD using Finder on Mac good enough? If cloning is the way to go, could someone paste a link with explicit instructions on how to do this? Thanks
I'd say you should clone the SDcard.
It is a very simple operation on Windows because one uses a program Win32DiskImager to create an image of the working SDcard.
Then one inserts a blank SDcard (normal or Micro depending on the type of target Pi) and writes the image to the new SDcard.
This makes an identical copy of the original and it will boot.

But be aware of the arrival of the Pi2 with a different CPU! You must upgrade your existing Pi so its operating system is capable of handling both Pi types if your new Pi is a Pi2 and the original is a P1. On RaspBian it is a simple upgrade thta is needed via apt-get.

I used this technique to clone an existing RaspBian Pi1B to be used on a new Pi2B and it worked just fine.

Another issue:
When you start the new Pi you should not have the old one running because they will conflict on the network (being clones).
Before you start up your old Pi again you should set a new hostname and a different IP address (if you use static addresses).
Then reboot to check that it is now a new Pi.
Bo Berglund
Sweden
The SD card I want to clone is running on the Pi2 and I would be using the clone on a Pi B+. I’m using a Mac but do have VMware running Windows 7, would this have the Win32DiskImager already or do I need to get that. If I could clone just using the Mac i’d prefer to do that but will use Windows if thats easier. Thank you Bosse_B
I don't know about the way a Mac works but Windows cannot simply copy the content of a disk to another and expect it to boot...
The imaging software I am talking about is described on this Pi webpage.
A direct link to the sourceforge site is here.

OOPS! Forgot to say that I have not figured a downgrade into the situation... Using a cloned disk from a Pi2 on a Pi1 might not even work...
Bo Berglund
Sweden
For a Mac use "Apple pi baker", but you can't clone from a 2 to a B+ ... Different OS
(2015-04-07, 08:34)Rafalovitch.tom Wrote: For a Mac use "Apple pi baker", but you can't clone from a 2 to a B+ ... Different OS

Not strictly true. It depends on the OS. It is perfectly possible to upgrade Raspbian installs on a Pi 1 so that they will then also boot on a Pi 2. (The Pi 2 needs a different kernel to the Pi 1, but this can be automatically selected at boot time.)

I upgraded my Raspbian-based Raspbx Asterisk PBX install this way when I switched from a Pi 1 B+ to a Pi 2 B.

For some set-ups, like OpenElec, there are different builds for the two platforms, but this isn't universal.

Whenever I've needed to backup or clone a Pi SD card I've used "dd" either on OS X or Linux. You do need to be careful with this tool, as you can zap your main OS drive if you don't know what you are doing.
The OP wants to image a Pi2 and use it on a Pi1, so he is looking for a "downgrade"..
I don't know if that will work, I have only done an upgrade with Raspbian from Pi1 to Pi2 and that direction works fine.
Bo Berglund
Sweden
(2015-04-07, 10:37)Bosse_B Wrote: The OP wants to image a Pi2 and use it on a Pi1, so he is looking for a "downgrade"..
I don't know if that will work, I have only done an upgrade with Raspbian from Pi1 to Pi2 and that direction works fine.

I think it depends on the distro. The Pi Foundation only offers a single Raspbian image for both Pi and Pi 2 - and my upgrade from a Pi B+ to a Pi 2 B boots on both boxes.
(2015-04-07, 10:55)noggin Wrote: I think it depends on the distro

OP mentions OSMC - ergo he needs a separate image configured for Pi1 - the Pi2 image won't do, whatever OpenElec or RaspBian offer.
Derek
The very simple answer for SD card copy on a Apple Mac.

Pi Baker

http://www.tweaking4all.com/hardware/ras...-pi-baker/

Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Copying from one SD to another?1