Video Output Stalls when selecting menus
Hi,

I have a problem where the video output "stalls" whilst I am navigating a menu. In the error log below I opened Kodi, navigated to TV, selected a channel (BBC 3 HD), switched to full screen and watched a part of the programme.

I then pressed "back" key on the remote, this took me back to the screen displaying the channel list and still showing the TV programme in a small screen on the right of the display. I press back again and the screen switches to a plain screen with only the blue "confluence" background (a series of bubbles). It stays like this for approx 30 seconds and then goes back to the top menu (as it should have done). I can't understand why I get this delay. It happens at other times when navigating between other menus as well but this example seems quite repeatable. Whilst the display has stalled the sound continues perfectly no problem, all elements of the displaystall (so the debug lines at the top left of the screen also stall and do not change until the 30 or so seconds is up).

Kodi Version - 14.2 git:20150325-7cc53a9 (Compiled Mar 26 2015)
Windows Version : 7 Home Premium SP1 - 64 Bit
CPU : Intel Core i7-3770 CPU @ 3.4GHz
Ram : 16MB
Display Adapter - AMD Radeon HD6800 Driver : 8.951.0.0 Date 8/3/2012
Log FIle : http://www.xbmclogs.com/pylzxt1pg

I've searched for other video related topics but nothing seems to match this problem. Any pointers gratefully received.

Thanks
Paul
I looked further into the log file.

Line 1303 is the first "back" command that took the display from full screen video to the channel list + video in right side of screen.

Line 1315 is the second "back" command that causes the display to stall on the screen with just the confluence background.

There is then a lot of repeated lines similar to :

21:01:57 T:2884 WARNING: CDVDMessageQueue(audio)::Get - asked for new data packet, with nothing available
21:01:57 T:3756 WARNING: CRenderManager::WaitForBuffer - timeout waiting for buffer
21:01:58 T:2884 WARNING: Previous line repeats 33 times.

These repeat all the way down to about line1590 where I believe the system became responsive again and I exited kodi.

Paul
Experimenting more, this only seems to be a problem when coming back from TV or Radio to the home screen. I can go in and out of Movies, Videos, Music as much as i like with no delay. So I'm starting to think this is a NextPVR problem (which I'm using as a backend).

Can anybody recommend a different backend (i.e. stable proven etc doesn't necessarily need to be free)

Thanks
Paul
No that's not it, just got it coming from full screen visualisation in music back to music sub menu.

It is definitely more repeatable going in and out of TV or Radio to the home screen though.

Will try some more logging and tests.

Paul
Is it my eyes, or are you using a display driver that's 3 years old?
Please read the online manual (wiki) & FAQ (wiki) before posting.

Skins: Estuary | Xperience1080
Opinion: Never purchase HTC products
(2015-04-11, 08:45)Piers Wrote: Is it my eyes, or are you using a display driver that's 3 years old?

Your eyes are better than mine, glossed over that and went straight to log.
AMD Catalystâ„¢ Driver 12/9/2014
You are correct it is/was an old driver.

I have since installed the latest I can find :
Driver Version 14.501.1001403.0 Dated 20/11/2014

However the problem is still the same. It does seem to occur now and again when in music or movies but it's every time when coming out of TV back to the home screen. You can navigate around inside the TV menus no problem, it's just that move back to the home screen.

Thanks for looking into it
Here are 2 more log files.

The first one is using the back button on the remote to go from movies back to the hole screen. I tried to hit the back button as soon as the clock changed to 20.40. So in the log you can see the "back command" at 20.40.03. By 20.40.08 the home screen has finished displaying and I exit Kodi.
http://www.xbmclogs.com/ph0ncqmv5

In the second log file I use the back button in the same way to go from TV back to the home screen. This time I tried to hit the back button as the clock changed to 20.44. The back command is logged at 20.44.00. It then takes until 20.45.37 for the home screen to be displayed though. I'm making an assumption here that the home screen is displayed around the time the following lines appear in the log :
20:45:37 T:6220 DEBUG: ------ Window Init (DialogButtonMenu.xml) ------
20:45:37 T:6220 INFO: Loading skin file: DialogButtonMenu.xml, load type: KEEP_IN_MEMORY

During this time there is just the confluence background bubbles on the screen, no menus, no TV or video. The sound still plays though (in this case from the TV channel that was selected). Everything on the screen is frozen (the clock and the debug information) and the PC won't accept any commands (alt+tab) for example will not switch applications. Ctrl+alt+del does work though during this time. There's clearly a lot more going on in the log when exiting from TV. I'm not sure if this is normal or if buried in here somewhere is something that's not working correctly. There does seem to be a lot of "timeout waiting for buffer" messages.
http://www.xbmclogs.com/pltpfou0x
Can anyone tell me what the following line means / is trying to do from the second debug log in Post #8 ?

20:44:00 T:6220 ERROR: DXVA - failed executing m_process->VideoProcessBlt(target, &blt, &samp[0], count, NULL) at line 714 with error 80070057

It's the only obvious error around the time I try the back command. Everything else is warnings or debug lines.

Thanks for any help.
Paul
(2015-04-21, 09:42)PaulTMC Wrote: Can anyone tell me what the following line means / is trying to do from the second debug log in Post #8 ?

20:44:00 T:6220 ERROR: DXVA - failed executing m_process->VideoProcessBlt(target, &blt, &samp[0], count, NULL) at line 714 with error 80070057

It's the only obvious error around the time I try the back command. Everything else is warnings or debug lines.

Thanks for any help.
Paul

Try disabling DXVA video decoding. I think that is what this error is referring to.
Here is a photo of what the display looks like for whilst it is frozen.

http://i.imgur.com/dGkQEQr.png
I disabled DXVA video decoding and tried again. The problem is still the same, video freezes when coming "back" from TV to home screen.

http://www.xbmclogs.com/ppc6npqcv

Same error messages with timeout waiting for buffer but now no error regarding DXVA
Just to let you know somewhere between upgrading to Kodi 15.1 and NextPVR 3.5.7 this problem has been fixed.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Video Output Stalls when selecting menus0