Power off Rpi
Are you sure? I think I have seen that Farnell has sold some 10M of them and there must be more distributors out there.
Bo Berglund
Sweden
popcornmix is part of the Raspberry Pi foundtion (and we are lucky to have him here) He has insider knowledge :p
also if the Pi sold that many it would have been in the news, they recently beat sinclair spectrum to be the best selling computer? in UK, which gave them around 5 million units sold.

because of apple and samsung you hear these very big numbers (i.e. last quarter apple sold 70 million units or whatever the figure) but these astronimical numbers are from some of the worlds biggest profit making buisnesses (apple being the most), so 5 million is still an incredible number. well done Pi foundation!
5 Million was reached in Feburary after selling about 500K Pi 2's in the week of launch.
Might be about 5.5M by now, but nowhere near 10M or 50M.
(2015-04-10, 13:39)Bosse_B Wrote:
(2015-04-10, 09:50)da-anda Wrote: @POWER consumption - there is another aspect to this - global power usage. You could probably shut down a nuclear power plant if all the PIs in the world would be powered down when unused
Assuming 50.000.000 Pi units out there operating at 2W. (I think it may be close to the right number)
That means they use a total of 100MW (50.000.000 * 2 / 1.000.000)
A nuclear plant that will output 100MW of electric power is by my knowledge not even existing. They are much bigger than that....
So the usage from all Pi units in the world is not that significant.
defeated by math - I surrender Smile
Is there a small relay or one you can build that keeps the Pi on for a minute? I have heard Sony TV's keep the usb port active for a minute so everything has time to shutdown. My LG's on the other hand cuts the power in 5 seconds, I have timed the shutdown (from when I press shutdown till the LED's go solid red) and it takes about 11 seconds. I just need a way to keep the power on for another 10 seconds so it shuts down properly is the TV is powered off without without a proper shut down of the PI. Turn off TV and TV sends shutdown command to Pi over CEC.

PS yes I know powering from TV usb ports is a bad idea or why I just don't leave it running, but I have my reasons so lets not dwell on that.
The PiJuice would seem ideal and appears to be reasonably priced at £25 for the basic device and battery.

It could safely shutdown the Pi once power is removed (TV turned off), perhaps after a predefined period, or just when on battery and the battery is low, as it has UPS capabilities.

https://www.raspberrypi.org/pijuice/
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
that is indeed something that would work, but seems a bit pricey for my purposes.
have a look at this link
http://www.pinballcontrollers.com/forum/...opic=774.0

and this one (found in first link)
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt...45&t=36295
https://www.pi-supply.com/product/pi-sup...er-switch/

Thats looks like what i need. To bad it's almost as expensive as the Pi.
(2015-04-08, 08:22)jpcolin Wrote: Hi,
I think i know the answer but i want to be sure. Can i power off the Rpi just by unplugging it or will i get corruption over the time?
Do i Always have to go to the menu?
my Rpi is connected to an AV receiver, how could i power it on/off with the receiver, CEC doesn't seems to do it...

My Rpi2 plugs into HDMI 1 on the AV receiver and the receiver plugs into HDMI 1 on the TV. I have an older Vizio that supports CEC.
I power the Rpi2 from the TV's USB port. I just power off the TV and CEC shuts down the Pi as well. Works great. Only potential issue is the TV's USB not supplying enough power at times if you have USB devices plugged into the Pi. You can get around that by using a powered USB hub which plugs into the Pi or using a 2 amp usb power plug.

Make sure your CEC settings on the Pi are setup to shutdown the Pi and that you use HDMI 1 on both the TV and AV receiver.
One more note, on a rare occasion the remote will stop working if I change devices on the AV receiver (watching a movie on bluray or playing a game system). If that happens I just re-select the input on the TV.
For those with HDMI CEC control TV's, the proper way to shutdown a RPi and TV to prevent SD card corruptions issues.

Just turning the TV off and cutting usb power is a recipe for disaster.

1) Install the add-on http://kodi.wiki/view/Add-on:Keymap_Editor

2) Key Map Editor > Global > System > Shutdown > assign this to a spare remote control button (even a spare TV remote button, that responds via HDMI CEC will work) > Save

3) Kodi > System > Input Devices > Perhiperals > CEC Adapter > Devices to Power off when Stopping Kodi > TV

W.

(2015-04-11, 22:38)DistantSynAck Wrote: Only potential issue is the TV's USB not supplying enough power at times if you have USB devices plugged into the Pi. You can get around that by using a powered USB hub which plugs into the Pi or using a 2 amp usb power plug.

Other than wiring the Boxee remote to the PI I don't have anything plugged in, I have to keep storage on USB to avoid corruption but would love to get everything on the SD card. I had issues once with the small rainbow square, because I was using a cheap USB cable that came with the chromecast once I switched the cables that issue went away and haven't had an issue since. As a precaution I also bought a Micro USB Y cable since my TV has 3 USB that will never be used. I may in the future add another female to male USB Y cable so it uses all three ports on the TV to give it a little bit more power if needed.

(2015-04-14, 04:04)wrxtasy Wrote: For those with HDMI CEC control TV's, the proper way to shutdown a RPi and TV to prevent SD card corruptions issues.

Just turning the TV off and cutting usb power is a recipe for disaster.

1) Install the add-on http://kodi.wiki/view/Add-on:Keymap_Editor

2) Key Map Editor > Global > System > Shutdown > assign this to a spare remote control button (even a spare TV remote button, that responds via HDMI CEC will work) > Save

3) Kodi > System > Input Devices > Perhiperals > CEC Adapter > Devices to Power off when Stopping Kodi > TV

W.

Last time i tried this it was the same thing as turning off the TV thus cutting the power from the Pi, if powered by TV usb ports. Reason being even if you start the shutdown sequence one of the first commands that is sent is to power off the TV. What needs to happen is when the shutdown sequence is started on the Pi everything must complete prior to the Pi sending the power off command to the TV, the power off command should be the very last command the Pi sends to properly shutdown everything in the proper order.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Power off Rpi0