"Smart subtitles" - pausing playback when they change too fast
I am looking solution for such a problem:
Showing text in subtitles is prepared to be not faster than 25 characters/second. But for some people (like older ones) even that speed is too fast.
Good solution would be to able to set preferable maximum speed - even 15 char/second, and whet row of text would be displayed faster than that, video will be paused for exactly amount of time to show this row with 15 char/second.

I have not found AddOn for that, so my question is: is it possible (or how hard would it be) to gain access to subtitles' timestamps and control movie playback accordingly.
will be hard for DVD and Blu-ray subtitles as these are pictures and not plain text. So this would only work for downloaded subtitles/srt
all subtitle handling is in core app, addons have no control over it except to hand subtitle file over to player

it would be possible but would require internal rewiring and exposing all that to python for addon to use
(2015-04-08, 14:57)da-anda Wrote: will be hard for DVD and Blu-ray subtitles as these are pictures and not plain text. So this would only work for downloaded subtitles/srt
Yes, of course I've meant text subtitles.
(2015-04-08, 20:37)amet Wrote: all subtitle handling is in core app, addons have no control over it except to hand subtitle file over to player

it would be possible but would require internal rewiring and exposing all that to python for addon to use

I expected that. So the only think I can do is write a feature proposal for future version of Kodi.
I know that it's impossible to add every small feature but I think almost everyone has met subtitles with text changing too fast or has kid or grandpa that can't follow fast subtitles Wink
As a temporary workaround, you could utilize an external player via playercorefactory.xml such as VLC and have playback speed reduced so the sub and video stays in sync. IMO would be less annoying than a video that constantly pauses, albeit depending on how much the frame rate is reduced the audio stream may sound ......off.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
"Smart subtitles" - pausing playback when they change too fast0