[split] Latest VidOn Box Impressions - heated discussion
Man, suppressing your LinkedIn page does no good when google caches everything Wink

Now, this can stop here, or can have consequences.
Continuing to accuse us of lying WILL have consequences.
I can't believe I wasted my time and actually read this thread.

Dude, companies sponsor us because they want to give something back for making money with our work - see it as a big donation and nothing more. They don't have any priviledges other than having their company logo listed as sponsor and that they can say they sponsored. We're NOT working close with them (not that I know) and in case they hire an individual dev it's the business of this dev alone and not the XBMC foundation or the team. We're no company, have no employees and don't make any money with it.

Quote:Now you doxx people who tell the truth and spread slanderous lies about who they are? And reveal aspects of their user information publicly? This does not look good for your organization....
which private information did we reveal to the public? No IP, no e-mail, only the fact that you work for that company (which seemed quite obvious anyways).
*grabs popcorn

But seriously, libdvdcss is legal in Germany. Libaacs, libbdplus and libbluray should be fine too, as no keys are provided. I don't know of a case like this in court.

Even if it is illegal, why would VidOnMe sell those boxes?
This was really interesting to read...

More to the only one intreresting point of this topic: Ned, why do you hate men and women?
I presume that your hate with them originate in their cryptic behaviour towards you (note: witnessing behaviour of lostinthecity, I CAN understand your point). Having crypto keys is illegal, you know. How could you decrypt this behaviour and, in regards to GPL, post evidence of it on the forum? That's a piracy you know! And illegal! :-)

Joke aside, thank you for exposing him. I just hope his company will issue appology or explanation to this community.
Great thread and well done lostinthecity, because I will NEVER EVER buy a Vidonme product!!!!! I'm sure your employers are very proud of you.

Kodi is a wonderful bit of software, but if you don't like it don't use it simples.
@Forum stuff,
I think posts #10 and #12 in this thread should moved back to the original Vidon thread. I hope that you can put them back to the right positions in the tread. Thank you in advance.
At this point, may not matter. I'm getting the sense VidOn won't improve this box beyond its present state (maybe I'll be proven wrong), and instead focus on new hardware.
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My HT
(2015-04-09, 10:37)Ned Scott Wrote: sonofabitch...

With that, any interest I may have had in the product is gone, and I had looked into it a few times. Good job. Thanks for helping me avoid that mistake.
Astro-turfing and sock-puppeting. What a lovely company.

I hope their coders are more competent than their public relations/marketing people.
To keep everyone updated, we are currently awaiting an explanation from VidOnMe. So far it has been silence. This does not look well for them and any future relations we have with them.
Well I thought all those posts had been deleted. Perhaps its a good thing as it saved me losing my cool for being accused of being paid to diss Vidon.

Also Vidon distributes more gpl software than just kodi. My gpl beef is more about a kernel that accesses hardware features that aren't available on other similar boxes, like HD audio passthrough. I haven't seen that source. Saying that the soc manufacturer doesn't supply it simply means we are dealing with a chain of breaching distributors.

Great outing of lostinthecity.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2015-04-11, 01:36)Ned Scott Wrote: To keep everyone updated, we are currently awaiting an explanation from VidOnMe. So far it has been silence. This does not look well for them and any future relations we have with them.

I have replied the email to Nathan and cc'ed contact@kodi.tv yesterday.
Sorry for all of these things.
@nedscott et al:

I think I'm part of an important constituency to the forum, ie, new/potentially new users of KODI looking for topical information about the software and hardware that runs it. While I hesitate to get involved in this highly contentious thread, I do think it might be useful to point out to you a few observations from this kind of user's perspective.

Before I do that, please note that I do not have a horse in this race, I'm not affiliated with any hardware or software manufacturers, I'm just an old tech guy who loves all things A/V and appreciates an open dialogue to help me learn and experience new technology.

First: Anyone who came to the original "Vidon Impressions" thread looking for information, got plenty of that initially. But eventually it became hard to find the "new impressions" in the morass of GPL violation accusations and replies. I think Ned or the moderator should have simply stepped in early, explained the GPL issues from KODI's standpoint and then split those items off into another thread for those interested in that off-topic subject matter. Doing that, I think, could have been eliminated much of the current back and forth that has diminished the usefulness of the original thread.

Second: Warning a poster for stating his point of view because you don't agree with it, seems counter productive to a "forum" which, by definition is "a place for the discussion of questions of public interest". That the poster made his arguments in a, well, very aggressive tone, shouldn't be ignored and is certainly worth pointing out to the poster and suggesting he change that going forward or be officially warned. But as a third party observer, I think a quick re-read of the thread will also show that the GPL accusations were made in a very aggressive tone as well, and no one took them to task for it.

A subset of this is point is the warning for discussing piracy. I've seen posts that ask specific questions about unauthorized add-ons moved to the Off Topic Forum, but I don't recall seeing anyone warned for rules violations. Is it a forum violation to discuss piracy in general terms?

Third: If the poster really was working with an agenda in concert with the manufacturer as your investigation indicates, please be sure to note that back in the original thread for those who, like me, went there for unbiased information and may never find their way to this important split-off thread.

Thanks for your time.
Please re-read carefully the posts from the person in question which were split off in this thread, starting with #1,and ask yourself whether you'd like this kind of ranting shouted inside your house by someone you not only barely know, but who assumes a false identity.

Then, in all honesty, wonder if you'd even start with a warning or immediately invite him to leave...

Talking about piracy is one thing. Implying that Kodi is made for it is intolerable.
Wow. Just wow. This thread > red wedding.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[split] Latest VidOn Box Impressions - heated discussion0