Solved Access windows folder in Kodibuntu??
Can anyone shed some light on how to acces shared files from Windows 8 in Kodibuntu? I've found a couple options, but am looking for the simplest solution possible. It seems as if SMB is just that, but I'm struggling to load my TV show folder. Any guide, advice, or nudge in the right direction would be appreciated. I've only dabbled in Linux so I'm learning as I go.
So I've made a little bit of progress changing some of the sharing settings on my Windows 8 PC. I can now see my workgroup, access my TV Show folder, and load all of my shows into Kodi on my KodiBuntu system.

Now the issue is that some episodes will play and some wont. Here is a link to my logfile:

http://xbmclogs.com/pgnylqszz

It appears that I am not getting access to play the files even though I can see them. It also appears that there is a lot going on in the log file.
First you are using an older version of Kodibuntu

Try to upgrade to the latest version to see, if this fixes your issue:

Code:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade

and if you are still not on 14.2 first check which ppa is used:

Code:
sudo apt-cache policy | grep team-xbmc

Maybe post the output here. It could be, that you have to change the PPA from "unstable" or "nightly" to "stable". But we´ll see after you posted the output here.

If you are using the stable ppa (check which one you have to use here: http://kodi.wiki/view/HOW-TO:Install_Kodi_for_Linux ) and after the above commands you still don´t get 14.2 do:

Code:
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

Note: If you are using an unstable ppa and you do this command, you will get Kodi 15 Alpha 2. So please check before.

After I see:

Quote:19:59:24 T:139823012161280 INFO: SMBFile->Open: Unable to open file : 'smb://MEDIACENTER/TV/TV%20SHOWS/Better%20Call%20Saul/Season%2001/Better%20Call%20Saul%201x08%20Rico.mkv'
unix_err:'d' error : 'Permission denied'

I checked the file on how often we have a "permission denied" error in this file.....over 100 times. So you have to change permissions, I guess Wink
(2015-04-10, 03:06)Chuggy Wrote: So I've made a little bit of progress changing some of the sharing settings on my Windows 8 PC. I can now see my workgroup, access my TV Show folder, and load all of my shows into Kodi on my KodiBuntu system.

Now the issue is that some episodes will play and some wont. Here is a link to my logfile:

http://xbmclogs.com/pgnylqszz

It appears that I am not getting access to play the files even though I can see them. It also appears that there is a lot going on in the log file.

Have you added the user you login to your Kodi machine to your Windows machine with the same username and password?

I would add this user to your Windows 8 machine as a local account via Control Panel first with exactly the same username and password as your Kodi user on your Linux PC.

Try this first and see how you go.
No need for this AFAIK ...the only thing he has to do is, as he add the source, to enter the username and the password he uses for the login into his windows machine.

So a

Code:
whoami

at windows side to verify which user is used and then use this username and the matching password to access the SMB shares from kodi, should do what he wants.

I never created a special user on my windows machines to access the SMB shares.
No idea about windows but maybe look at SMB/Windows (wiki) for clews.
I managed to get it working. It was in fact a permission problem. I had some odd permissions set up and ended up removing all permissions and starting over. Setting up full access for the user account seemed to do the trick
Good news, then please full edit main post and select Solved form drop down menu Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Access windows folder in Kodibuntu??0