Which box to choose, Asus Chromebox vs Apple Mac Mini or other
(2015-04-09, 23:34)dendera Wrote: Hi,
I currently own a boxee box thats running kodi 14.2. It works great, but are experiencing lag with h264 vids. Its a outdated box, and I'm looking for a new media box so i dont need to tweak so damn much and a kodi thats supported also

I want the possibility to:
- Stream 1080p flawless from NAS (through LAN cable)
- Have the possibility to stream h265 4k in the future
- Netflix + HBO (either ass app or directly in browser window)
- Use a remote / or mobile / tablet mouse app
- Easy connectivity through a VPN (F.ex use american netflix account)

I've got a max budget of approx 500-800 $USD.
I've read alot of these "what is best" threads, but dont find out what im looking for.

As I can see, the Asus Chromebox will suit me fine, and also for future needs. My brother are using the Mac mini as a media station (native OSX, no kodi) and I also think thats a great solution

In advance, thanks for any reply / help!

Have you ever thought about getting an Alienware Alpha? They are currently on sale for the i3 model. I am using one for my Kodi box and it's great. I think they are on sale for approx $400
you won't get future proofing till skylake at the least, this is meant to be released by the end of this year. I'm guessing you'll see price drops on everything when skylake comes out, so no point spending $400

(2015-04-10, 04:26)wrxtasy Wrote: The Cheap Amazon Fire TV stick will do all you want except 4K and H265.

Use this as a stop gap measure until Intel release their Skylake microarchitecture later this year that will then give you H265 and proper 4K and HDMI 2.0. This is when you want to get some quality gear and spend some coin. Everything up till that point in time will have to be upgraded again and end up being a waste of money.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Which box to choose, Asus Chromebox vs Apple Mac Mini or other0