Mapping Extra Mouse Keys
I have a logitech wireless M510 mouse with standard top left/right scroll wheel. It also has side forward/backward buttons. When I used KODI on Windows, the side back button achieved the same as backspace on the keyboard. Now that I'm using it on Linux, the same key on the mouse does nothing. I really enjoyed using the mouse to navigate backwards in menu trees, and miss that feature. I've had no luck finding out what I need to do to get the mouse button mapped to that keyboard key (backspace). I've read to enable debug log and look at what it shows for that mouse button (below). However, I have no idea what the information it shows represents or how to use it? I'm fine adding to/creating a .xml file to put a line of code to do this, just don't know what commands to use?

I pushed the 'back' mouse button first, then the 'forward' mouse button.

Quote:10:50:59 T:139946761258944 DEBUG: Keyboard: scancode: 0x40, sym: 0x0134, unicode: 0x0000, modifier: 0x100
10:50:59 T:139946761258944 DEBUG: OnKey: alt-leftalt (0x4f0d4) pressed, action is
10:51:03 T:139946761258944 DEBUG: ------ Window Init (Pointer.xml) ------
10:51:03 T:139946761258944 DEBUG: ------ Window Deinit (Pointer.xml) ------
10:51:27 T:139946761258944 DEBUG: ------ Window Init (Pointer.xml) ------
10:51:29 T:139946761258944 DEBUG: UPower: Received an unknown signal DeviceChanged
10:51:29 T:139946761258944 DEBUG: ------ Window Deinit (Pointer.xml) ------
10:51:30 T:139946761258944 DEBUG: ------ Window Init (Pointer.xml) ------
10:51:32 T:139946761258944 DEBUG: ------ Window Deinit (Pointer.xml) ------
10:51:33 T:139946761258944 DEBUG: Keyboard: scancode: 0x40, sym: 0x0134, unicode: 0x0000, modifier: 0x100
10:51:33 T:139946761258944 DEBUG: OnKey: alt-leftalt (0x4f0d4) pressed, action is
10:51:36 T:139946761258944 DEBUG: ------ Window Init (Pointer.xml) ------
Bump
Is there nobody that knows anything about this? Surely I'm not the only user attempting both a linux build, and using a >2 button mouse? I'm finding plenty of details on github about apparent increasing supported mouse buttons, but don't know what to do with the information they present, example url below:

https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/search?utf8...use+button

Can any of you very smart programming types assist me please?
See keymaps (wiki). It's the same idea with a mouse, and there should be mouse info on those pages. Also see the default mouse Keymap for how specific buttons should look like: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/xbmc/x.../mouse.xml

The keymap add-on should also work with mice.
(2015-06-02, 08:41)Ned Scott Wrote: See keymaps (wiki). It's the same idea with a mouse, and there should be mouse info on those pages. Also see the default mouse Keymap for how specific buttons should look like: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/xbmc/x.../mouse.xml

Thank you for the suggestion. I installed the keymaps addon and tried to edit the Edit>Global>Navigation>Back>Edit key> clicked thumb button to assign. The screen displayed the 5 seconds to hit key. I repeatedly was clicking the thumb button and it never did anything. What is also strange is the display was showing browser_back as the assigned key, which I believe is what the thumb button is described as. It seems like KODI does not recognize my thumb buttons at all. To test, I tried clicking the scroll wheel. It seemed to accept the click, because the menu blinked and went back to the display of all the navigation keys, however it still displays browser_back. If I try to assign a keyboard button, it will change to 61448 for example when I use backspace.

Any ideas?
(2015-06-04, 17:50)zubbs1 Wrote:
(2015-06-02, 08:41)Ned Scott Wrote: See keymaps (wiki). It's the same idea with a mouse, and there should be mouse info on those pages. Also see the default mouse Keymap for how specific buttons should look like: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/xbmc/x.../mouse.xml

Thank you for the suggestion. I installed the keymaps addon and tried to edit the Edit>Global>Navigation>Back>Edit key> clicked thumb button to assign. The screen displayed the 5 seconds to hit key. I repeatedly was clicking the thumb button and it never did anything. What is also strange is the display was showing browser_back as the assigned key, which I believe is what the thumb button is described as. It seems like KODI does not recognize my thumb buttons at all. To test, I tried clicking the scroll wheel. It seemed to accept the click, because the menu blinked and went back to the display of all the navigation keys, however it still displays browser_back. If I try to assign a keyboard button, it will change to 61448 for example when I use backspace.

Any ideas?

4 years later we are still at the same status Sad
I experience the same like written here with Kodi 18.2
I cannot map my extra keys on the mouse via keymap addon due to same reason as above: nothing happens if extra button is pressed when trying to edit; and I cannot find info on what the extra keys should be called if I tried to manually edit the xml file. How to reference those keys?
If you enable logging in the debug log (wiki), then all key inputs are registered into the log.

So what you should do is enable debug logging (Settings>System Settings>Logging and enable it there), reboot your system and then press the mouse keys that you're interested in mapping. Then turn off debugging and look in the log and you should see entries detailing the keypresses (easiest way is to upload the log using the log uploader addon, then view it on a PC in the web browser of your choice using the URL the uploader will give you).

If no button presses are logged, then Kodi isn't receiving them and there's nothing further that can be done (at least on our end). But if something is received you can then use that information to generate your own keymap (wiki) xml file manually and give it whatever action you want. There's details on that wiki link on how to set such a manual map up.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
I have a few logitech mice, and this is my XML file / keymap to make the back button work.
You may have to change click id to numbers between 1-9 for it to work with your specific mouse. I found 3 and 6 were the ones for mine.

<keymap>
<global>
<mouse>
<click id="3">Back</click>
</mouse>
</global>
<FullscreenVideo>
<mouse>
<wheelup>VolumeUp</wheelup>
<wheeldown>VolumeDown</wheeldown>
<click id="3">Stop</click>
</mouse>
</FullscreenVideo>
</keymap>
The ID numbers are 0-6, at least according to the comment at the start of the default mouse keymap.

Button Ids:
0: left
1: right
2: middle
3/4/5/6: extra
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Mapping Extra Mouse Keys0