• 82(current)
OpenELEC Testbuilds for RaspberryPi (Kodi 15.0) Part 2
As requested, sample video of scrolling news ticker which stutters a bit using the new default of PTS being on:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8TU_Cp...sp=sharing

Plays back without issue when PTS is off.
(2015-06-25, 20:37)popcornmix Wrote: and @gendo - do you see this in recordings? A sample file that requires PTS to be off would be useful.

Yes happens in recordings to.. here is a small sample

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9culvjh0gy83ra...le.ts?dl=0
I am sure you guys can help garbear? Would be great to have games on RPi...

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=171180&page=10
Server: Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Intel Core i5 3.4 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 | 128 GB SSD, 82 TB (9 x 6 TB, 7 x 4 TB)
HTPC 1: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 2: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 3: Raspberry Pi
@Milhouse
Just about to start playing with my new Pi2, and set up a clean SD Card with Openelec 5.0.8.

But, I recall you suggesting to have a larger Fat partition than the default, like 512MB, with remaining as EXT4.
Can this be done under windows? or can you link me to info on how to do this.

Cheers.
Media Companion Dev.
Media Companion - Kodi / XBMC - Media Companion
(2015-06-26, 11:12)vbat99 Wrote: But, I recall you suggesting to have a larger Fat partition than the default, like 512MB, with remaining as EXT4.

Probably not with Windows - you might be able to install tools that sort of understand the ext2/3/4 file systems but IMHO you're better off using a Linux system, either booting a LiveCD or a virtual image. With a Linux system you can then use gparted to partition the SD card into FAT and ext4, sizing the FAT partition to be about 512MB. You could probably also do this on a Raspbian system with the SD card in a USB card reader.

If you've only got a command line, the following should partition the card correctly, and should work on a Pi, even an OpenELEC system, but you'll need to run this as root (not an issue for OpenELEC), and set the DISK variable to your SD card device (eg. /dev/sdb) - note this could destroy your current system if you choose the wrong device (etc.)

Code:
# Set DISK to the SD card device eg. /dev/sdb, /dev/sdc etc. - check dmesg for details
DISK="/dev/sdX"

# Now create the partitions on $DISK:
umount ${DISK}* 2>/dev/null
parted -s "$DISK" mklabel msdos
parted -s "$DISK" mkpart primary fat32 -- 1MiB 512MiB
parted -s "$DISK" mkpart primary ext2 -- 516MiB -2cyl
parted -s "$DISK" set 1 boot on
partprobe "$DISK"
mkfs.vfat "${DISK}1" -I -n System
mkfs.ext4 -O ^has_journal -E stride=2,stripe-width=1024 -b 4096 "${DISK}2" -L Storage

Check that alignment of both partitions is optimal:
Code:
parted "$DISK" align-check optimal 1
parted "$DISK" align-check optimal 2

When partition 1 and 2 are correctly aligned, the following should be output:
Code:
1 aligned
2 aligned

Once you've partitioned the SD card, copy the firmware/kernel/System files to the FAT partition:
  1. Mount the freshly formatted SD card - assume for the purposes of this guide that the FAT partition is mounted as /media/sd/System
  2. Extract all files from the OpenELEC tar file - assume the files are extracted to a directory called <extractdir>
  3. Copy the firmware, kernel and system files to the FAT partition, then delete the extract directory:
    Code:
    cp -r <extractdir>/3rdparty/bootloader/* /media/sd/System
    cp <extractdir>/target/KERNEL /media/sd/System/kernel.img
    cp <extractdir>/target/SYSTEM /media/sd/System/SYSTEM
    rm -fr <extractdir>
  4. Unmount the SD card
  5. Install the SD card in the Raspberry Pi and boot OpenELEC
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
(2015-06-26, 11:12)vbat99 Wrote: @Milhouse
Just about to start playing with my new Pi2, and set up a clean SD Card with Openelec 5.0.8.

But, I recall you suggesting to have a larger Fat partition than the default, like 512MB, with remaining as EXT4.

Cheers.

There's a free utility called MiniTool Partition Wizard Free that will allow you to format EXT4 partitions, so you could use that with a blank SD card to set it up.
(2015-06-26, 04:57)zaphod24 Wrote: As requested, sample video of scrolling news ticker which stutters a bit using the new default of PTS being on:

(2015-06-26, 05:22)gendo Wrote: Yes happens in recordings to.. here is a small sample

Thanks, will try to find a solution.
(2015-06-26, 04:57)zaphod24 Wrote: As requested, sample video of scrolling news ticker which stutters a bit using the new default of PTS being on:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8TU_Cp...sp=sharing

Plays back without issue when PTS is off.

How do we turn off PTS? I made a couple of recordings the other day and noticed they stutter quite badly on playback, although LiveTV seems OK for me.
(2015-06-26, 13:50)doveman2 Wrote: How do we turn off PTS? I made a couple of recordings the other day and noticed they stutter quite badly on playback, although LiveTV seems OK for me.

video/acceleration settings.
(2015-05-23, 15:22)popcornmix Wrote:
(2015-05-23, 09:37)Milhouse Wrote: [*]MVC and 3D support updates

Latest build should automatically detect 3D MVC files (in mkv and probably mp4 containers) as 3D without having to name the file with 3D.SBS/3D.TAB.
Please test if that behaves correctly for you.

Some noob questions:
Is this auto detection removed again?
So I have to add SBS to filename again? Why there is no MVC flag for filename?
(2015-06-26, 17:50)thosti Wrote: Is this auto detection removed again?
So I have to add SBS to filename again? Why there is no MVC flag for filename?

Yes, that patch caused issues so was dropped.
Name your files containing ".3D.SBS." for example.
(2015-06-26, 11:50)Milhouse Wrote: If you've only got a command line, the following should partition the card correctly, and should work on a Pi, even an OpenELEC system, but you'll need to run this as root (not an issue for OpenELEC), and set the DISK variable to your SD card device (eg. /dev/sdb) - note this could destroy your current system if you choose the wrong device (etc.)

Code:
# Set DISK to the SD card device eg. /dev/sdb, /dev/sdc etc. - check dmesg for details
DISK="/dev/sdX"

# Now create the partitions on $DISK:
PART1="${DISK}1"
PART2="${DISK}2"
umount ${DISK}*
parted -s "$DISK" mklabel msdos
parted -s "$DISK" mkpart primary fat32 -- 0 512MiB
parted -s "$DISK" mkpart primary ext2 -- 516MiB -2cyl
parted -s "$DISK" set 1 boot on
partprobe "$DISK"
mkfs.vfat "$PART1" -I -n System
mkfs.ext4 -O ^has_journal -E stride=2,stripe-width=1024 -b 4096 "$PART2" -L Storage

Well, got through that OK, with VirtualBox, and an old XBMC 10.1 Live iso.
Windows now sees a 511MB partition called System.

Not just stuck with what you mean from this
Quote:Once you've partitioned the SD card, copy the target and 3rdparty/firmware files to the FAT partition.
I have the img file OpenELEC-RPi2.arm-5.0.8.img, do I need to extract the contents of 0.fat within the img file to the new 511MB system partition, and volia??
Media Companion Dev.
(2015-06-26, 20:04)vbat99 Wrote: Not just stuck with what you mean from this
Quote:Once you've partitioned the SD card, copy the target and 3rdparty/firmware files to the FAT partition.
I have the img file OpenELEC-RPi2.arm-5.0.8.img, do I need to extract the contents of 0.fat within the img file to the new 511MB system partition, and volia??

Download the tar.gz file and extracting files will be much simpler...
(2015-06-26, 20:06)popcornmix Wrote: Download the tar.gz file and extracting files will be much simpler...

Only see [Stable] OpenELEC 5.0.8 (arm), which has OpenELEC-RPi2.arm-5.0.8.tar
or the img file, which ends in imb.gz

Can't see a tag.gz file.

Please note, I'm running in Windows,
Media Companion Dev.
(2015-06-26, 20:11)vbat99 Wrote: Only see [Stable] OpenELEC 5.0.8 (arm), which has OpenELEC-RPi2.arm-5.0.8.tar
or the img file, which ends in imb.gz

Yes that file is fine. It's just an archive you can extract with windows to get the files out.
7zip / winzip / winrar etc will likely handle it.
  • 82(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
OpenELEC Testbuilds for RaspberryPi (Kodi 15.0) Part 214