• 83(current)
OpenELEC Testbuilds for RaspberryPi (Kodi 15.0) Part 2
Right, so copied the contents of folder target and also the contents of folder3rdparty\bootloader to the root of the new system partition.
Believe I've got it right.
File list
Code:
folder: overlays
bcm2709-rpi-2-b.dtb
bootcode.bin
config.txt
fixup.dat
KERNEL
KERNEL.md5
LICENCE.broadcom
start.elf
SYSTEM
SYSTEM.md5
Media Companion Dev.
Media Companion - Kodi / XBMC - Media Companion
But I only get the full-screen rainbow (not the low-voltage square in the corner).

Ok, what did I do wrong.
Media Companion Dev.
You need to rename KERNEL to kernel.img. You can remove the *.md5 files.
Well, success, almost.
Booting then halts with
Error in mount flash: mount point: unknown file system.

Maybe I'll still with stock openelec partition sized. I'll still be able to test these builds, but was hoping to be able to test debug builds if needed to in the future.

Thanks Popcornmix and Milhouse.
Media Companion Dev.
Is it possible to write the .img file to sdcard then use gparted to move the partitions around?
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Apologies vbat99 for not being entirely clear on that final step, this used to be a regular thing that OpenELEC users would have to do (extracting the files from the tar) and I forget it's no longer obvious to new users!

(2015-06-26, 21:00)vbat99 Wrote: Well, success, almost.
Booting then halts with
Error in mount flash: mount point: unknown file system.

Maybe I'll still with stock openelec partition sized. I'll still be able to test these builds, but was hoping to be able to test debug builds if needed to in the future.

Thanks Popcornmix and Milhouse.

I didn't see a cmdline.txt in your previous list of files, by default it should be:

Code:
boot=/dev/mmcblk0p1 disk=/dev/mmcblk0p2 quiet ssh

See if adding the above as cmdline.txt in the FAT partition makes any difference.

You should have the following files and directories in the FAT partition on an RPi2 installation (date/times and file sizes may vary):
Code:
rpi22:~ # ls -la /flash
total 113952
drwxr-xr-x    5 root     root         16384 Jan  1  1970 .
drwxrwxr-x   16 root     root           226 Jun 25 21:12 ..
-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root          1447 Jun 25 21:03 LICENCE.broadcom
-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root     107225088 Jun 25 21:13 SYSTEM
-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root          9050 Jun 25 21:03 bcm2709-rpi-2-b.dtb
-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root         17900 Jun 25 21:03 bootcode.bin
-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root           218 Jun  4 22:54 cmdline.txt
-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root           393 Jun 19 15:59 config.txt
-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root          9443 Jun 25 21:03 fixup.dat
-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root       5532408 Jun 25 21:13 kernel.img
drwxr-xr-x    2 root     root          8192 Jun 25 21:03 overlays
-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root       3777000 Jun 25 21:03 start.elf
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
Yep, believe I was missing the cmdline.txt. file. That file was not in the tar downloaded from Openelec.

I'll do it over bit later today.
Been testing 5.0.8 stable, and I'm impressed with the speed and performance on the rbpi 2.
Media Companion Dev.
New OpenELEC Isengard build #0626: RPi / RPi2
(Supercedes previous build)

Code:
# uname -a
Linux rpi512 4.1.0 #1 Fri Jun 26 21:31:00 BST 2015 armv6l GNU/Linux

# vcgencmd version
Jun 26 2015 13:30:18
Copyright (c) 2012 Broadcom
version ccd74887d783fb00f92c3126859ec69b8b2f21d5 (clean) (release)

# lsb_release
OpenELEC (Milhouse) - Version: devel-20150626213012-#0626-ge02cfe2 [Build #0626]

# vcdbg log msg 2>&1 | grep DTOK
001570.913: Kernel trailer DTOK property says yes

# Kernel device tree status: Enabled

Based on tip of OpenELEC master (e02cfe25, changelog) and tip of XBMC master (6aecff06, changelog) with the following modifications: Build Highlights:
  1. New firmware
  2. Add the Raspberry Pi firmware driver
  3. testing: HW mouse pointer
Build Details:
  1. Firmware (Jun 26):
    • firmware: arm_loader: Support initialising vchiq through mailbox property interface. See: link
    • firmware: drivers/usb: Reduce busy-wait to sensible timeout. See: link
    • firmware: video_encode: Initialise headers for video_bitrate. See: link
    • firmware: arm_loader: Use the new core_freq DT parameter if present
    • firmware: arm_loader: Set the uart1_clkrate DT property from core_freq
    • firmware: arm_cursor: Better handling of a second app requesting a cursor
    • firmware: arm: Tidy up setting of arm_control and arm_bash
  2. OpenELEC:
    • binary-addons: bump pvr.hts, pvr.vbox, pvr.wmc (e02cfe25)
  3. XBMC:
    • [videodb] use GetNavCommon for tags (PR:7338, 1 commit, 1 file changed)
    • PVR issues fixed (EPG sync / DB handling of internal channelgrous) (PR:7300, 1 commit, 4 files changed)
    • [GL] Fixed: FontTTF breaks scissor which causes bad rendering with di… (PR:7293, 1 commit, 1 file changed)
    • Fixed: visualization settings dialog broken if press 'V' key (PR:7308, 2 commits, 3 files changed)
    • [addons] force repository update in post-install/uninstall (PR:7331, 1 commit, 2 files changed)
  4. pvr.demo:
    • [settings] adds a radio group to sample data (PR:11, 1 commit, 1 file changed)
  5. newclock4:
    • New commits in this build:
      • testing: HW mouse pointer (c2485e8f)
      • [visualisation] Don't restrict the sample buffer to 256 samples (6443f5c0)
    • Commits no longer in build:
      • Fixed: FontTTF breaks scissor which causes bad rendering with dirty regions. (90cd7df8)
      • Use Addon.Default.OpenSettings instead of ActivateWindow for visualization settings. (33db93ea)
      • do not restart visualization if it has no settings. (f025385d)
  6. kernel 4.1.y:
    • New commits in this build:
      • ARM: bcm2835: Add the Raspberry Pi firmware driver (59203030)
      • config: Enable ZSMALLOC, ZRAM and PGTABLE_MAPPING (c97b07c0)
      • Add rpi-ft5406 overlay Add rpi-ft5406 driver as module (e547d7e9)
      • Fix driver detection failure Check that the buffer response is non-zero meaning the touchscreen was detected (9dea271e)
      • config: Enable 8250 serial port (8ad2b6ac)
      • config: Enable POWER_RESET_GPIO (cc78a5ef)
      • bcm2708-vcio: Remove restriction of only a single instance being open (01f5e319)
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
Note: If you are using the sdhost driver and experience a problem booting with the #0626 build, particularly on Pi1, you should temporarily disable the sdhost driver (ie. revert to the stock mmc driver by commenting out the dtoverlay=sdhost entry in config.txt), or alternatively disable all arm/core/gpu/v3d overclocks until the issue is resolved.
If anyone uses a mouse (does anyone?)
then please test latest build. Mouse movement should no longer cause whole GUI to redraw so should result in lower CPU and less lagginess.
Just giving Milhouse's instructions another go, and when I do the parted commands, setting the partition sizes, I get
Quote:Warning: The resulting partition is not properly aligned for best performance
I'm ignoring this so I can keep going, but is it something I should be concerned with?
Media Companion Dev.
Second attempt, and it got stuck on initial Openelec screen, with Official Version 5.0.8.

After 5 minutes, figured it wasn't going to do anything and about to give up, but decided one last power up, and Bingo, booted to Kodi 14.2.

Unfortunately two other attempts to power up got stuck at the Official Version 5.0.8 screen, so deciding to give up.
Win32Disk Image the official and boots every time.

For now, I'll stick with this, and soon will update to Milhouse's test builds.
Thanks again for the info, I'll note it for another time to experiment with.

Cheers and keep up the great work.
Media Companion Dev.
(2015-06-27, 05:08)vbat99 Wrote: Just giving Milhouse's instructions another go, and when I do the parted commands, setting the partition sizes, I get
Quote:Warning: The resulting partition is not properly aligned for best performance
I'm ignoring this so I can keep going, but is it something I should be concerned with?

I've amended my original instructions to correctly align the first partition, I've also added a couple of checks which will confirm if both partitions are correctly aligned.
Thanks Milhouse. I've noted the changes for my notes. Will try again a bit later.
Just an FYI, probably the version of XBMC I was using to get a Linux command-line, but I could type
DISK="/dev/sdb"
but when I typed
PART1="$(DISK)1"
gave me DISK could not be found.

Guessing that is because /dev/sdb was not mounted?

Anyway, I just carefully typed /dev/sdb and /dev/sdb1 etc, double-clecking my typing as I went.

Yes, the new sdcard was at sdb, sdb1 & sdb2
Media Companion Dev.
(2015-06-27, 06:17)vbat99 Wrote: PART1="$(DISK)1"

Best to copy & paste than re-type - you've used parentheses (round brackets) when the command is using curly braces (they look similar, but very different in this context!)
  • 83(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
OpenELEC Testbuilds for RaspberryPi (Kodi 15.0) Part 214