5.1 passthrough not possible since Gotham ...
Hi there,

I was previously running OpenELEC "Eden" on a Pi B, HDMI to an HDMI-switch which extracts audio to optical SPDIF which runs into my audio decoder, capable of decoding DolbyDigital and DTS. I could easily select passthrough in XBMC and everything worked as expected.
I tried upgrading to "Gotham" a while ago and passthrough was not working, so I reverted back to "Eden" then, because for me the passthrough was more important than using "Gotham".

Now I upgraded to a new Pi 2 and needed to upgrade the system also, so I made the jump to Kodi "Helix" and there the passthrough option also is not there, even when settings are switched to Expert. Somehow the Pi seems to think the HDMI-switch is not able to decode Audio and so doesn't even offer the passthrough option.

I tried to directly edit GUIsettings.xml, but this also didn't work. Somehow, since Gotham some passthrough-options seem to be broken.

I have read a few forum posts all over the web, stating that same problem but could not find any solution. Please, could anyone fix that or tell me how to force Kodi to passthrough AC3 and DTS through HDMI?

Thanks,

MisterMaggi
You'll have to provide a photo of the system/audio settings.
I don't believe passthrough is ever disabled when HDMI is selected (even if you are connected to a dumb TV the option is still there).
Also try to see what tvservice -a reports.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2015-04-12, 00:49)nickr Wrote: Also try to see what tvservice -a reports.

But we don't change the settings options even if multichannel/passthrough is not reported as supported.
We did way back in Frodo, but removed it as too many devices report incorrect information in their EDID.
Hi there,

firstly, here's the output of tvservice -a:

Code:
OpenELEC (official) Version: 5.0.8
Himbeerkuchen:~ # tvservice -a
     PCM supported: Max channels: 8, Max samplerate: 192kHz, Max samplesize 24 bits.
     AC3 supported: Max channels: 8, Max samplerate: 192kHz, Max rate 2040 kb/s.
   MPEG1 supported: Max channels: 8, Max samplerate: 192kHz, Max rate 2040 kb/s.
     MP3 supported: Max channels: 8, Max samplerate: 192kHz, Max rate 2040 kb/s.
   MPEG2 supported: Max channels: 8, Max samplerate: 192kHz, Max rate 2040 kb/s.
     AAC supported: Max channels: 8, Max samplerate: 192kHz, Max rate 2040 kb/s.
     DTS supported: Max channels: 8, Max samplerate: 192kHz, Max rate 2040 kb/s.
   ATRAC supported: Max channels: 8, Max samplerate: 192kHz, Max rate 2040 kb/s.
     DSD supported: Max channels: 8, Max samplerate: 192kHz, Max rate 2040 kb/s.
    EAC3 supported: Max channels: 8, Max samplerate: 192kHz, Max rate 2040 kb/s.
  DTS_HD supported: Max channels: 8, Max samplerate: 192kHz, Max rate 2040 kb/s.
     MLP supported: Max channels: 8, Max samplerate: 192kHz, Max rate 2040 kb/s.
     DST supported: Max channels: 8, Max samplerate: 192kHz, Max rate 2040 kb/s.
  WMAPRO supported: Max channels: 8, Max samplerate: 192kHz, Max rate 2040 kb/s.
Extended supported: Max channels: 8, Max samplerate: 192kHz, Max rate 2040 kb/s.
Himbeerkuchen:~ #

so, I shot two photos of the Audio output menu.
No passthrough settings there. Skin is Arctic Zephyr, but also with Confluence it's the same.
I switched everything there is to on and off, but no luck to get to passthrough settings.

Any help appreciated.

Cheers,

MisterMaggi
Remove the "Fixed" setting - that disables passthrough. Leave it on default of "Optimised".
Wow,

thanks a bunch. Actually I thought I tried all that, but apparently I missed this.

Very sorry, but happy that I can now fully enjoy the Kodi-Experience, after all.

Thanks popcornmix, Nod

MisterMaggi

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
5.1 passthrough not possible since Gotham ...0