Backend PVR Hardware
So I've decommissioned my old Win 7 server that was a media server and PVR backend running Mediaportal. I've moved all media to a QNAP TS-453 Pro for better protection, lower running costs and full 24/7 running.

The migration of data is complete, everything is working perfectly and my multiple Kodi boxes all working fine with the NAS. I am however now without PVR. (Except for native PVR built into the TV's themselves).

So, I'm looking for a low power 24/7 PVR set up (UK). I already have a dual S2 card (TBS6982 PCI-e) so would like to use this is possible. The old server has the following kit I could reuse otherwise it'll go on eBay:

Coolmaster Centurion 590
Intel Mobo DG41TY
Intel Core 2 Quad 2.66Ghz Processor
SSD
Corsair TX650 power supply
Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8
2 x Kingston 2Gb Ram 800Mhz DDR2 Ram

So, what I want out of a backend:

Very low power (24/7 running)
Able to timeshift HD channels
Watch and record multiple streams simultaneously
Series Link ability
Excellent Kodi integration
Use existing TBS6982 PCI-e card

I've done a lot of looking at the MOI+ and Pro as they have TVHeadend installed OEM, however there appear to be a significant number of drawbacks surrounding these boxes, from maintaining correct times to ability to timeshift.

So, I open it up to you guys. What hardware would you use to build the above?

Many thanks
I know that this is not exactly what you had in mind, but have you considered going for a TV router PVR? - http://kodi.wiki/view/VBox_Home_TV_Gateway
This TV server is very low power, have multiple tuners can record to a NAS and they are working on a dedicated Kodi PVR addon which by the look of it seems to be very powerful and support timeshift
Thanks, that actually looks really good. Just need to see if it will work well with XBMC and not fall over quickly if it doesn't get off the ground and get a good support base. Thanks for sharing the link, this may replace the parts I was looking at buying to build a mini-ITX system.
How about an HP Microserver? Low power, quiet and runs mythtv well. TVH would work too, but myth is more mature and flexible.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
The HP Microserver doesn't appear to have PCIe slots, just hard drive bays. (One I just looked at anyway).

If push comes to shove, I'll build a Mini-ITX low power device using Asrock Mod Q1900-ITX, but the Vbox looks good, and has it's own PVR app coming for Kodi 15 which looks promising. It will live or die by the support and improvement their team provides on the firmware and software. Looking at a review on AVforums they are quick to make improvements based on feedback too. I'm very tempted, even if using it with Simple IPTV for now.
(2015-04-26, 21:30)t2ffn Wrote: Thanks, that actually looks really good. Just need to see if it will work well with XBMC and not fall over quickly if it doesn't get off the ground and get a good support base. Thanks for sharing the link, this may replace the parts I was looking at buying to build a mini-ITX system.

See http://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=233. I haven't used it for satellite reception (DVB-C only) but my general impression is that the device is very solid. It takes some time to create and sort your channel list, but after that it's pretty much fire and forget.
Thanks negge, I've gone ahead and ordered the 3340 version (2 x DVB-S2, 1 x DVB-T) for UK. I'm running openelec so will try the IPTV simple client until kodi 15 is on a stable release and then try their dedicated PVR app. I'll put up a small review in the new section based on my experience setting it up.
does the Vbox apps (for web, Kodi etc.) support DVB teletext subtitles (used by Yousee cable provider in Denmark)
Don't know, the app is for v15 onwards and I don't have the Vbox yet. Slow despatch from their site, possibly coming from Israel too...?!
@poppex I don't think it handles teletext in any special way, if your player supports it then you're good.

@t2ffn the conpany is from Israel, that's why it ships from there.
Yeah I've seen their company address. I've emailed them to get an ETA on despatch / delivery as I ordered on 28/04 and the status is simply shown as 'confirmed' rather than despatched. I'm sure it will all be fine, I'm just impatient to get it up and running and get a centralised PVR back in my house.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Backend PVR Hardware0