• 5(current)
Need a Hevc (x265) friendly small all in one box
The poster wanted to know if the suggested box (HDMI out) would work with his TV (DVI in).

But yes, that has generated a few more posts that could probably be hived off to a new thread.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2015-04-16, 10:59)wrxtasy Wrote: No 40 second or so hiccups are at all evident like I see when playing 23.976fps / H264 video at 24Hz.
Do you have enabled "Sync playback to display"?
because only "Adjust display refresh rate to match video" enabled ( like my HTPC ) with my S802 i have lot of stutter with SPMC.
It' s true 23,976 or resync ?
LG OLED 55E8 - M9702(oppo 203) -  Dinobot U5PVR(Enigma 2) - Meccol KI pro(COREelec) - Sony PS5
AndroidPremiumPlayer blog - HI - Frequency Switcher 
Yes "Sync Playback to display is enabled", with resampled Audio.

Watched a 2.5Hr HEVC file last night and I think I saw 1 or 2 small video stutters for the entire length of it.
My Sony TV switches to 24p mode with the ODROID-C1 GUI set at 24Hz on bootup.

It looks like a 24Hz resync instead of true 23.976fps. Either way video is nice and smooth. Smile
Ubuntu 14.04 runs a lot better at 24Hz than all other releases on the S805.

I would like to have an update on the original subject of this thread. Has a box come out that meets those requirements? Basically if a say, "Mirror Mirror on the wall. Which box is the best one for me?" Is the answer still the Chromebox? Really there has to be a cheaper box.
(2015-07-17, 04:59)theplunger Wrote: I would like to have an update on the original subject of this thread. Has a box come out that meets those requirements? Basically if a say, "Mirror Mirror on the wall. Which box is the best one for me?" Is the answer still the Chromebox? Really there has to be a cheaper box.

Wait 3 months and see how the Braswell Celeron mini-PCs shape up. Intel has a Braswell NUC and Asrock has the beebox, more are likely to surface, and once the software support has caught up you'll have a small x86 PC with hardware HEVC.
Regarding this 2.5TB Hard drive limit , users over here on this thread are not having too many issues with MINIX and 4TB drives.
http://www.minixforum.com/threads/max-size-of-hdd.421/

The AMlogic S805 MINIX NEO X6 would meet all your needs, it has very mature Firmware.
I suggest joining their forum and ask some hard questions if you need absolute certainty.

The pertinent question to ask over there is "does HEVC decoding on MINIX use the Amcodec decoder, ie. am-h265 displayed in the Kodi codec info window ?"

The reason to ask this is because the C1 I have, has issues with 1080p HEVC decoding in Kodi. It refuses to use Amcodec for HEVC (am-h265) decoding and uses Mediacodec (amc-h265) instead. This results in picture freezing issues with 23.976/1080p decodes at 24Hz. Hopefully this will be quickly and easily fixed. The Android MX player app has no problems with 1080p HEVC.

As a side note, Kodi Isengard RC3 now runs really well on Android. 4.4.2 and AMlogic SoC devices (thanks to Koying !) that have 23.976/59.94Hz Kernel/driver support for perfect 24p video sync. MINIX and the Wetek Play have Firmware that supports this. I have been testing Firmware on the ODROID C1 as well which also has this support, and that should be released later on today. Smile

I'm also interested in this thread but mostly on 1080p HEVC main10 profile because I'm suspecting that profile will become more predominant as time passes (e.g. Rec. 2020 and Massive upgrade to Blu Ray) and in my particular case because I'm sure the anime fansubs will use main10 when they move from H264 Hi10p. The disappointing thing is that most HEVC chips currently available only support the main profile (8-bit), except RK3288. I'm thinking the best solution for me right now is the NVIDIA Shield Android TV which has proved it can play H264 Hi10p and it seems futureproof regarding HEVC. Any other suggestions?

Amlogic s905 and s912 also sound promising but so far no announcements have been made about products using it.
(2015-07-17, 13:29)oWarchild Wrote: Amlogic s905 and s912 also sounds promising but so far no announcements have been made about products using it.

CNX has run stories on : http://www.cnx-software.com/2015/06/06/a...processor/ and http://www.cnx-software.com/2015/07/08/e...ogic-s905/ but no idea if they are out in the wild and in any way supported in a meaningful manner.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IaJUA9DEZAI might be of interest.
I had miss those, I'll read them after lunch. Pity none of those boxes are Minix as from what I read Minix seem to be well supported. Thanks!
(2015-07-17, 13:53)oWarchild Wrote: I had miss those, I'll read them after lunch. Pity none of those boxes are Minix as from what I read they seem to be well supported. Thanks!

Looks to me like they are pre-release announcements. Think they are works in progress but possibly not shipping at the time the article was written?
(2015-07-17, 04:59)theplunger Wrote: I would like to have an update on the original subject of this thread. Has a box come out that meets those requirements? Basically if a say, "Mirror Mirror on the wall. Which box is the best one for me?" Is the answer still the Chromebox? Really there has to be a cheaper box.

You may wish to subscribe to http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?pid=...pid2024057
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2015-07-17, 22:46)nickr Wrote:

You may wish to subscribe to http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?pid=...pid2024057

I read the thread, but reading all of that is difficult. I just don't speak the tech language. All I can say is I want a turn key solution (already built and has a remote and great support.) that can do the following...

1. Play 1080p x264 & x265 (Hevc) with no issues. (I care less about the 4K videos)
2. Play 10 bit (I have anime that is like this. Hell if I know what it means.)
3. I would be a real big plus if it could have a RCA output (Red White and Yellow wires) as well as Hdmi.
4. Be able to hook at 4TB HDD or better (usb 3.0) to the box. I can't see why there is so much grey area with the answer to this question.
5. Be cheap. Under $ 130.00

I've been on the fence for a good while waiting on the right box. I don't think my requirements are so hard. I'm just surprised that they haven't made such a box yet.
Thanks for your reply. Big Grin
(2015-07-18, 10:25)theplunger Wrote:
(2015-07-17, 22:46)nickr Wrote:

I read the thread, but reading all of that is difficult. I just don't speak the tech language. All I can say is I want a turn key solution (already built and has a remote and great support.) that can do the following...

1. Play 1080p x264 & x265 (Hevc) with no issues. (I care less about the 4K videos)
2. Play 10 bit (I have anime that is like this. Hell if I know what it means.)
3. I would be a real big plus if it could have a RCA output (Red White and Yellow wires) as well as Hdmi.
4. Be able to hook at 4TB HDD or better (usb 3.0) to the box. I can't see why there is so much grey area with the answer to this question.
5. Be cheap. Under $ 130.00

I've been on the fence for a good while waiting on the right box. I don't think my requirements are so hard. I'm just surprised that they haven't made such a box yet.
Thanks for your reply. Big Grin

Don't think that box exists yet. You might not think your requirements are that hard, but they are not a combination that is easy to fulfil.

Hi10 H264 Anime stuff requires CPU decode on almost every platform, as hardware acceleration is limited to 8 bit H264 on almost all platforms (because there is no official source of 10 bit H264 via broadcast or released on DVD, Blu-ray or IP streaming) There is no 'official' Hi10 content available so manufacturers don't support it. CPU decode of H264 Hi10 means having a reasonably powerful CPU.

HEVC/H265 is still new so hardware acceleration of that is still limited to a few boxes, some of which are so new that Kodi/ffmpeg support for their H265/HEVC hardware acceleration isn't available yet.

Composite output is increasingly unusual too - as it doesn't support HD resolutions. For composite you're limited to something like the Raspberry Pi / Pi 2, or an Android TV box (and even they don't always have Composite). The ODroid C1 has a hack for Composite (and supports HEVC in some cases) but that isn't a turnkey solution as composite support involves soldering I think. There may be an Android box based on the same SoC as the C1 which supports HEVC and Composite. To be honest an HDMI splitter and an HDMI to composite converter may be a better solution - though it will probably take you away from your price point.

USB 3.0 is relatively rare on media players as there is no content around that requires USB 3.0 bitrates. (Most USB 2.0 hard drives will deliver 160Mbs transfer speeds without breaking sweat, and even Blu-ray content maxes out at 50Mbs)
Ok, so usb 3.0 isn't needed.
So does Hi10 doesn't work at all or is it the video poor on most of these boxes? I just wonder why they put out Hi10 in the first place if it doesn't work well?

Nevertheless, it's more important my box plays x265 and works with 4TB HDD's and does composite with kodi. Do you know of some boxes with good support that do that?
Composite, as has been said, is really hard. Most boxes are HDMI and DP only these days. If you want hi10 and 1080p and hevc, you really aren't wanting to put it out an interface as shitty as composite. 480/576 lines is the best you get, why bother with a high end source?

Having said that, rpi2 is worth a try. It certainly does composite, it certainly does h264 8 bit 1080p standing on its head.

For everything other than the composite requirement a chromebox will do h264 hi10. It will do lower rate hevc.

Cost: generally you get what you pay for. You spend peanuts, you get bugger all.
  • 5(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Need a Hevc (x265) friendly small all in one box0