Kodi just for streaming and pvr
So I just lost my complete collection of TV and movies due to a HDD crash. I had a new drive sitting there preparing to copy all it over but ran out of time.

Its going to be interesting how well kodi fares as a host for Netflix, YouTube and mythtv only.

I am not going to spend weeks recreating my collection.

Netflix has most of it anyway

Might have to install custom skin which removes video files access.

Anyone else just use kodi for streaming and maybe PVR?
Kodi is my day to day PVR application and I use it to stream from Amazon Prime. Unfortunately I can't use Netflix because I'm using an ARM box with OpenElec and the Netflix Add-on requires an OS with Chrome browser. Working well for me.
Sorry to hear about your loss. That is tough even if Netflix has most of it. I learned the hard way not to trust Iomega ever again. While I did not have a total loss the NAS with about 200 movies failed and while restoring the movies from a USB backup it failed too (both Iomega). I ended up only losing 113 but still it sucks.

I thought I was always safe as long as I kept two copies but Iomega proved me wrong. With the kind of failure rate I was getting you would have thought I was buying Western Digital.
these are my killer applications as well. I never understood why people are interested in storing movies.
Does it really often happen that a movie is viewed more than one time. For me, never!

The PVR is ready not so great from the UI perspective.
There is a nice example of a pretty perfect UI which is called windows media center.
Maybe patent concern are holding developers back.

I am still wondering
1. why isn't there a single button record within the EPG?
2. in recordings, why is there an "info" and "C" contact menu and not just an "info" context menu, that contains "details" which provides more information on the content?
3. why is it still such a hustle to use the standard remote controller under windows which is call media center remote control while being able to keep the ability to use windows media center in parallel?
4. Why is there no minimize button in the windows that changes from full screen to window mode?
5. Why is the short cut under MACOS cmd F and under Windows ALT Enter?
6. Why does the EPG in all skins I tested makes so poorly use of the screen estate. I would prefer bigger fonds and the use of the whole screen but not just a small part.
(2015-04-14, 07:44)Marty56 Wrote: I never understood why people are interested in storing movies.
Does it really often happen that a movie is viewed more than one time. For me, never!

We all come in different flavors but I think it is safe to say that it is fairly mainstream to view some movies multiple and sometimes ridiculous numbers of times. I must have seen Airplane more than 50 times and I watched it again last night. The white zone is for...

What I think you will find though as that people here treat storing media as a hobby that extends past just watching it. I am not sure when I made that transition myself but it definitely happened. I can't tell you how many times I have loaded Kodi for the sole purpose of seeing how my newly added media looks. I don't care that some will find that silly. Most hobbies have a silly element to them.

For the OP it was not just a loss of his media collection but a loss of countless hours of work.
(2015-04-14, 20:07)BeesKnees Wrote:
(2015-04-14, 07:44)Marty56 Wrote: I never understood why people are interested in storing movies.

We all come in different flavors but I think it is safe to say that it is fairly mainstream to view some movies multiple and sometimes ridiculous numbers of times. I must have seen Airplane more than 50 times and I watched it again last night. The white zone is for...

What I think you will find though as that people here treat storing media as a hobby that extends past just watching it. I am not sure when I made that transition myself but it definitely happened. I can't tell you how many times I have loaded Kodi for the sole purpose of seeing how my newly added media looks. I don't care that some will find that silly. Most hobbies have a silly element to them.

For the OP it was not just a loss of his media collection but a loss of countless hours of work.
And many months of exceeding my isp quota and upsetting my wife.

Probably fortuitous that I went legit after the iinet ruling recently. I had not downloaded any media for a year. But I had spent quite a bit of time ripping many of my dvd collection to kodi so I could stream via upnp to my tablet.

I have a new 2tb hdd so may do some of the stuff again that netflix does not have.
(2015-04-15, 00:12)JasonPell Wrote: And many months of exceeding my isp quota and upsetting my wife.

Probably fortuitous that I went legit after the iinet ruling recently. I had not downloaded any media for a year. But I had spent quite a bit of time ripping many of my dvd collection to kodi so I could stream via upnp to my tablet.

I have a new 2tb hdd so may do some of the stuff again that netflix does not have.

You just thought you were done with this hobby. Wink

Kodi is evil software. Sometimes I wonder if I am doing this for myself or it. My wife asked me who Cody was and why I cared so much what he thought about my DVDs.

"I will be right there. I want to check real quick to see if Kodi likes this."
I have started reripping all my dvd starting with tv series. I refuse to use my dvd player anymore. Kodi is just so much more convenient for binge sessions: -)

This time I have two hdd with exact copies. Different brand of drives and purchased at different times.

I don't want to lose it all again.

With netflix and my own dvds I see no reason to go back to torrents

I can see how Netflix has a positive effect on reducing piracy now

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi just for streaming and pvr0