HP Stream Mini running OpenELEC no wifi
Hello all!

I have successfully installed the newest OpenELEC to an HP stream mini and I must say first of all, what an AWESOME little machine! plays absolutely everything you throw at it including full blu-ray BDMV folders with full menu support, and HD audio. I am only seeing one huccup and that is OpenELEC doesn't seem to be detecting the wifi hardware as it is not showing up in the settings to be able to enable it. This is not a problem right now as I have a wired setup, but I'd like to get another one for my living room TV which isn't wired for ethernet. Can anyone tell me if they have run into this issue? most people are saying these look like basically the same hardware as the chromeboxes but those seem to have no problem with the wifi.
I look forward to any info you all may have, and I'll gladly answer any questions others may have on this little gem in return
I never actually ran OpenELEC on the HP Mini, but it has a different WiFi card to the one in the Chromebox and only operates on the 2.4GHz band.
(2015-04-12, 23:15)DocG Wrote: only operates on the 2.4GHz band.

I'd be fine with this, but I cant get it to operate at all
Does it work on Windows? Does it work on a different Linux install, like Ubuntu?
Yes, the factory installed windows 8 recognized and hooked up to the wifi, I did not try Linux, I just wiped the drive and installed OpenELEC which is the main reason I bought the unit.
Well, at least that shows the card is working. Maybe it simply isn't compatible with OpenELEC. If I should get around to it I'll test run OpenELEC on my HP. If you really want to use WiFi, maybe you'd want to consider a different, i.e better, WiFi card anyhow?
Well I managed to actually open the unit up tonight and read what kind of card it has installed. It is a Broadcom BCM43142
I have OpenElec installed on my HP stream mini, and i was able to connect to My wifi. At first it was not showing any wifi acces points. Then i went into OpenElec settings, under network turned off wired connection, make sure wireless is active, and tethered wireless access points also clicked on. Once done go to connection's tab and then you will see all the wifi access points. And will be able to connect. My broadband wifi card in my stream mini works perfectly fine with OpenElec. Currently running OpenElec 6.0.0 good luck.
(2016-01-04, 23:33)nemsis72 Wrote: make sure wireless is active, and tethered wireless access points also clicked on.

I have tried this and when I try and select the tethered wireless radio button it just says working for a bit and then deselects it
(2016-01-05, 00:36)lcann25 Wrote:
(2016-01-04, 23:33)nemsis72 Wrote: make sure wireless is active, and tethered wireless access points also clicked on.

I have tried this and when I try and select the tethered wireless radio button it just says working for a bit and then deselects it
After it does that did you go into connections and see if wifi access points are showing. Did you turn off wired first? Then turn on wireless, and click on tethered let it do it's working, and deselecting itself. Then go into connections. And have a look.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HP Stream Mini running OpenELEC no wifi0