[FireTV] Major buffering and streaming issues - router problems?
Hi all,
I am a total noob here so please forgive me if I am not 100% up to speed on rules, where to post, what to post etc. I will do my best to be as law abiding as possible Smile

So I picked up a Fire TV and installed Kodi. I tried both Gotham and the latest release (14.2?). The problem below was the same with each.

Basically, I cannot stream anything video related, more or less. Unless its a very small file size / low res. I have tried so many sources, and more or less get the same results throughout. Of course, higher def sources are the biggest offenders as you would expect. Sometimes the video starts then stutters and pauses after a few minutes, sometimes I cant even get it to start.

At first I thought it was the location of the router (even though my Xbox 360 streams just fine and it is side by side with the FireTV downstairs and the router, a D-Link DIR-655, is upstairs). I did a speed test on my cable connection and I get around 35Mbps downstream.

So to test it, I moved the FireTV into the same room as the router, hooked everything up and tried again with more or less the same results. Very little performance difference.

Then I directly wired the FireTV with a network cable into the router and everything worked flawlessly.

So it looks like, somehow, there's a problem with Kodi communicating wirelessly with the router. Netflix on the same device works fine.

I was wondering if anyone had similar problems? I am thinking its a router setting thats causing some sort of timeout but I have no idea what it is. I reset the router to factory and nothing changed. if anyone has any pointers regarding router settings I would be really thankful. Otherwise the FireTV goes back to the store at the weekend!

Many thanks guys
may be a caching issue. you can set kodi to zero cache via maintenance tool (not sure if im allowed to mention this in here.. if not my apologies). this usually helps with buffer issues.
Alternatively you can set cache setting manually. see here http://kodi.wiki/view/HOW-TO:Modify_the_video_cache
How many bars do you have on the amazon fire tv? Settings-System-Network .

DIR-655 is pretty old and limited in performance. I had one 2008 and 2010 i upgraded to a cisco e4200, amazing change in performance, longer and faster. Around christmas, I changed to Netgear Nighthawk same there, extreme performance difference. So be able to stream 720p or 1080p material you must have a router that handles that high volume of bandwidth. Otherwise try power plugs could work in your case or go for a long network cable...

I don´t think Netflix demands that high bandwidth, change your advancedsettings.xlm file. Read the wiki how to do it.

Use adbfire to push the file into correct folder in Fire Tv. There are different versions, depending on network etc etc, try all and see which fits you best.
Thanks for the replies guys. Well I already looked at the zero cache settings and that made no difference at all. The thing that confuses me mostly and makes me think its not purely a bandwidth issue is that a lot of the time teh streams don't even start, they give a fail message. I tried the same streams when hard wired and they worked right away.

I have 3 out of 4 bars and the signal strength is 'Very Good'.
Have you tried a reset factory settings on the Fire Tv? And reinstall Kodi?
Otherwise put up the debug log and let the experts check it?
Yes I tried both those things, and reset the router too.

I actually had a major problem getting the debug log. When I tried doing it (copied to a USB stick) it was corrupt when I got it to a PC.

Does anyone have better details as to how to copy the log?
Do you have anything around the TV that would be causing interference with the wifi on the stick? Cordless phone/base, baby monitor, wireless speakers/sub etc??
Do you use smb to access your movies? Try nfs? Are AFTV and server on same sub net? Check ip.
Nope nothing that would cause interference that I know of. And nope - no SMB.
Gonna try to get a new ac router this week and see if that helps.
Not sure if you answered this but what server(source) are you trying to stream these videos from?

Is it from another pc and if so is that pc wired or is it wireless? (where are the files located that you are trying to stream?)

Based on the information you provided it seems like a source/server issue.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[FireTV] Major buffering and streaming issues - router problems?0