New Fire TV updates
Yeah Plex is coming up pretty fast. They have an unofficial App Store where you can find quite a few good addons, some illegal and some legal.

They have the usual suspects you see with Kodi and then they have some interesting ones such as the LIVE TV ones such as TVHEADEND and WMC and the one that I am really interested in trying out:Talbo DVR addon. If you have a tablo DVR and this addon, it kind of cute out the necessity of having a dedicated PVR back end and I can use it with Kodi through PlexBMC but I am not sure if it provides full PVR features that Kodi does at the moment.
Has anyone used USB with the new firmware? I am thinking about order a couple of thumb drives. I swear it is the Bermuda Triangle in my home when it comes to thumb drives. I keep buying them and they keep disappearing.
(2015-04-17, 19:55)ozkhan1 Wrote: Yeah Plex is coming up pretty fast. They have an unofficial App Store where you can find quite a few good addons, some illegal and some legal.

They have the usual suspects you see with Kodi and then they have some interesting ones such as the LIVE TV ones such as TVHEADEND and WMC and the one that I am really interested in trying out:Talbo DVR addon. If you have a tablo DVR and this addon, it kind of cute out the necessity of having a dedicated PVR back end and I can use it with Kodi through PlexBMC but I am not sure if it provides full PVR features that Kodi does at the moment.

That's all good but the Plex app on the FTV is pretty useless.
I use plexbmc. But I still dont think its ss good and refined as kodi.. there is always some weird buggy behavior.
I installed Plex, played around with it for a few hours, then uninstalled it. I don't want the network overhead of a dedicated media server. It has irritated me for years that I couldn't use my Rokus for my media but I refused to go in that direction. I still do a lot of streaming and I don't want be dropping out of HD because my wife is watching one of her shows via Plex.

At the risk of turning this back into a thread about the update. I happened to notice when I was setting up a new FTV yesterday that there is also a new developer option via USB.
(2015-04-20, 01:49)BeesKnees Wrote: I installed Plex, played around with it for a few hours, then uninstalled it. I don't want the network overhead of a dedicated media server. It has irritated me for years that I couldn't use my Rokus for my media but I refused to go in that direction. I still do a lot of streaming and I don't want be dropping out of HD because my wife is watching one of her shows via Plex.

At the risk of turning this back into a thread about the update. I happened to notice when I was setting up a new FTV yesterday that there is also a new developer option via USB.

I am sorry but I did not get the boldened part. Like you said I dont want to derail this thread but I also do not think on a wired or a wifi n network, you actually run out of bandwidth to stream via plex if you are also streaming from say Netflix or Hulu in HD. Plex is on your LAN, and a gigabit ethernet wired LAN network can handle HD streams for multiple clients.

Now if you are referring to transcoding because your server is installed on hardware that is not strong enough to handle it, thats a different story altogether.
It is a combination of things. First off, yes, the machine that I would use if I was going to have a media server is older and most of my media is not in a format that Roku can handle. Secondly, at the time I installed Plex Netflix was not as reliable than they are today. Lastly, my network is already ridiculously busy.

I have always believed that keeping things simple will produce less headaches. Roku was designed to be a streaming box and supporting local media was an after-thought and one that they obviously don't intend on expanding. Between that and the fact they never seem to be future-proofed I have known for a long time I would eventually move on to a more complete solution. Not to mention that up until recently Plex was a banned subject for support questions.
(2015-04-20, 20:25)BeesKnees Wrote: It is a combination of things. First off, yes, the machine that I would use if I was going to have a media server is older and most of my media is not in a format that Roku can handle. Secondly, at the time I installed Plex Netflix was not as reliable than they are today. Lastly, my network is already ridiculously busy.

I have always believed that keeping things simple will produce less headaches. Roku was designed to be a streaming box and supporting local media was an after-thought and one that they obviously don't intend on expanding. Between that and the fact they never seem to be future-proofed I have known for a long time I would eventually move on to a more complete solution. Not to mention that up until recently Plex was a banned subject for support questions.

Got it. And yes you are right, Rokus might be the best thing since sliced bread and the go to gadget for streaming videos for the rest of the world but its not the all purpose solution most Kodi users here usually strive for.

My home network is not particularly busy and although I have not had to put it to test but I think if with a fairly recent i-3 to 1-5 modern processor running Plex and 3-4 other devices such as Rokus or FTVs streaming from Netflix at the same time on a gigabit network with 30-50 Mbps downstream internet service, you should not see any difference. Again not talking about the Plex app but plexbmc in Intel NUC or Fire TV streaming MKV around 3-4 Gigs each.
Well, to be fair, I never really tested the theory that it would be a problem. I just hated the idea of it. I am a big believer in K.I.S.S. (keep it simple, stupid). My wife actually helps me rip which is pretty cool but it doesn't negate the impatience when things are not going like they should.

Anyway, we have hijacked this thread a little too much at this point.

ETA: Before someone thinks I am foolish (or more foolish) I should also explain that at the time of my trial with Plex it was not always possible to have 2 HD streams from Netflix so adding more overhead was the last thing I was going to do.
I hope they release a firmware update that allows for volume control. I dont know how you would use he current remote but the lack of volume control severely bothers me.
Is there a way to get FiredTV to launch automatically? Every time I accidentally hit the home button I get kicked back to the main menu.
(2015-04-28, 21:02)BradD Wrote: Is there a way to get FiredTV to launch automatically? Every time I accidentally hit the home button I get kicked back to the main menu.

It's a setting in FiredTV.
(2015-04-14, 18:20)ozkhan1 Wrote: Just wanted to share some personal experiences with FTV, Kodi after the recent updates

The new Fire TV updates have introduced some much needed and interesting features but the two important ones in regards to Kodi are

1. USB port can now be used for storage without rooting the box
2. Pressing and holding the home button can now give you the option to put your device to sleep.

Just wanted to share because lately I have noticed people complaining about the inability to "turn it off".

Unrelated to the updated, I also recently used a custom launcher called "fired tv" that can be used to avoid the unnecessary cluttered main menu of FTV. It provides a nice overlay you can customize and only add shortcuts to your favorite apps.

Do you know how to use a wireless mouse with the new update? I was able to use one up until this newest update... Any Ideas?
(2015-04-30, 16:41)firetv1010 Wrote:
(2015-04-14, 18:20)ozkhan1 Wrote: Just wanted to share some personal experiences with FTV, Kodi after the recent updates

The new Fire TV updates have introduced some much needed and interesting features but the two important ones in regards to Kodi are

2. Pressing and holding the home button can now give you the option to put your device to sleep.

Just wanted to share because lately I have noticed people complaining about the inability to "turn it off".

Unrelated to the updated, I also recently used a custom launcher called "fired tv" that can be used to avoid the unnecessary cluttered main menu of FTV. It provides a nice overlay you can customize and only add shortcuts to your favorite apps.

Do you know how to use a wireless mouse with the new update? I was able to use one up until this newest update... Any Ideas?

I never felt the need to use a mouse on a media center, so I have never tried it with FTV either.
(2015-04-30, 17:00)ozkhan1 Wrote:
(2015-04-30, 16:41)firetv1010 Wrote:

I never felt the need to use a mouse on a media center, so I have never tried it with FTV either.

Okay Thx.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
New Fire TV updates0