Freezing on splash screen
This has been happening once in a while going back to the Pi1, Every so often openelec will freeze at the OE splash screen and will just sit there, the LED light on the pi will go solid green but nothing loads. Rebooting the Pi fixes this and it starts to boot normally.It's very rare when it happens but I'm just trying to figure out what causes it. Do you guys think adding a small boot delay will help with this?
Any overclock settings? How is the power supply?
You can add, e.g.
Code:
boot_delay=10
to pause before booting the arm, but I'm not convinced it would help.
No OC, default clock settings for now. Powered off two USB ports on 1 TV and the other is plugged into a 2.1 amp surge protector with built in USB ports, always been an issue but happens so rarely its hard to pin point.
If you add "progress" to the end of your line in /flash/cmdline.txt, you'll get boot progress information when you boot OpenELEC - this might prove useful on those odd occasions when it hangs. Knowing the point it had reached before hanging would be useful, particularly if it's consistently the same point.
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
Like this?

Code:
boot=/dev/mmcblk0p1 disk=/dev/mmcblk0p2 quiet progress
Yep
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
(2015-04-16, 14:23)jebise Wrote: No OC, default clock settings for now. Powered off two USB ports on 1 TV and the other is plugged into a 2.1 amp surge protector with built in USB ports, always been an issue but happens so rarely its hard to pin point.

Why powered off of two ports? The 2.1 amp supply should be enough.
HTPCs: 2 x Chromecast with Google TV
Audio: Pioneer VSX-819HK & S-HS 100 5.1 Speakers
Server: HP Compaq Pro 6300, 4GB RAM, 8.75TB, Bodhi Linux 5.x, NFS, MySQL
(2015-04-17, 08:32)speedwell68 Wrote:
(2015-04-16, 14:23)jebise Wrote: No OC, default clock settings for now. Powered off two USB ports on 1 TV and the other is plugged into a 2.1 amp surge protector with built in USB ports, always been an issue but happens so rarely its hard to pin point.

I interpreted that to mean that he was powering it from USB rather than the normal power supply. I didn't know you could do this, although this would explain some of my USB related glitches.
(2015-04-17, 08:32)speedwell68 Wrote:

Two different pi's, one has to be powered by USB ports on the TV based on my network configuration but the one up stairs is powered by a surge protector with built in USB ports.

I decided to get a micro USB Y cable so if it's low on power with the TV USB port it can get the extra power it needs from a second USB port.

But the issue has occurred on both, less frequent on the upstairs pi but it is also used allot less.
okay so I got one to hang, the green LED was solid and the last two entries are below.

Starting Kodi clean debug logs...
Starting Kodi hacks...

after which I had no choice but to pull power and after rebooting the SD was corrupt. This seems to be the exact behavior I experienced on the pi1 as well multiple times in the past year but the SD card would not corrupt so I never bothered looking into it. I only started looking into it because as soon as this happens on the pi2 I know SD corruption is just around the corner.
OK, let's see if it's the same when it hangs next time.

kodi-hacks.service runs this script which could be a problem on a corrupted fs, but under normal circumstances should be harmless.
okay will do, assuming this needs to be run from cli via ssh?
No, you don't need to run anything - I'm just pointing out what script is being run when it apparently hangs.
ohh I read your post the wrong way, need sleep.
(2015-04-18, 03:50)jebise Wrote: okay so I got one to hang, the green LED was solid and the last two entries are below.

Starting Kodi clean debug logs...
Starting Kodi hacks...

after which I had no choice but to pull power and after rebooting the SD was corrupt. This seems to be the exact behavior I experienced on the pi1 as well multiple times in the past year but the SD card would not corrupt so I never bothered looking into it. I only started looking into it because as soon as this happens on the pi2 I know SD corruption is just around the corner.

I was bugged by the exact same problem for the past weeks. I tried to find resources to fix it myself because I simply assumed that something went down when I pulled the plug. However, it also happens after updates or when installing an add-on. After spending enough time with this error I figured out how to at least get the whole thing running again without needing to reinstall everything.

If you have a Linux machine sitting around just 'fsck' the corrupted partition and you are good to go. You will probably lose some unsaved settings.

'fsck -y /dev/mmc...'

Edit: I just had another corrupted filesystem. What I did:

I was editing my keyboard.xml via remote access and was logged into ssh. I did not unmount the drive on my Mac and did not log out of ssh. When I rebooted to apply the new keyboard.xml it hung on boot ('...Starting d-bus system message bus').

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Freezing on splash screen0