raspberry2 & usb dac = bad?
i recently replaced my old powerhungry htpc setup with a raspberry 2 & openelec. i am quite happy with its performance so far, however i have a huge problem, which i'm not sure can be solved and might lead me to replace that setup again Sad
i own an arcam irdac as usb dac.

my setup is the following...
for music: raspberry - irdac - stereo amp
for video: raspberry - hdmi - av receiver

my music is stored on a nas, nfs is used as protocoll...

video wise everything is fine and music wise the the overall audio quality is excellent, but ~ every 30 seconds to 2 minutes i get a very short hickup/distortion/jitter noise when playing mp3s, which sounds like a buffering issue or something similar.
when i start to scan the music library, and try to play a mp3 file i get lots of stuttering, which i guess is normal because of the limited cpu power?

i already tried the various suggestions from the following thread:
http://openelec.tv/forum/124-raspberry-p...ing#132499

then i found this which sounded similar to my issue:
http://www.raspyfi.com/anatomy-of-a-pi-u...ues-on-pi/
http://www.runeaudio.com/forum/crackles-...-t934.html

to limit the usb speed i've added dwc_otg.speed=1 in the cmdline.txt yesterday and am not 100 % sure, but it seems to happen less often than before, however it has not completely solved the issue.

i was wondering if other people experience the same behaviour with other usb dacs? it is really just a short noise, but obviously very annoying and distracting from the music.
Can you test using either hdmi or analogue (e.g. with headphones) and confirm that works okay.
That would confirm it's a USB audio issue (rather than network/cpu issue).
hi popcornmix!

thanks for your response.

yes, everything is fine using hdmi and playing mp3s from the exactly same source.
i enabled debugging with detailed audio component logging. this time i heard 2 short noises - one right in the beginning, when playback startet and another one after ~15 seconds...

http://xbmclogs.com/po4ekjmyd

and just to add: i also tried one of the last openelec testbuilds for raspberry 2 (build 0416) to see if it behaves different - but got the same results.
ok...the setting dwc_otg.speed=1 has no positive effect so i'll remove that again from cmdline.txt.

but i noticed that the short stuttering nearly always happens when additional network traffic is happening like artist slideshow downloading a new image.
i can also provoke it by starting cu-lrc lyrics script. and i checked it again --> with hdmi both does not produce the stuttering.
I saw something similar with another DAC, Ifi Micro IDSD. We should try powering up the DAC using an active USB HUB, just to be sure. Sadly I have none of those at home Sad Your DAC is however powered from mains I think, unlike mine which is taking the power from USB.

Regarding network, from what I know from the raspberry forums from dom, USB stack is also shared with ethernet and other devices, so that might be an issue.
in the meanwhile i tried if overclocking changes something --> still no luck Sad

does anyone have a hint what i could try next? as far as i could see the debug logs didn't give any hint.
any additional low-level logging i could enable somehow to track the problem down?
How are you connecting to the network?
HTPCs: 2 x Chromecast with Google TV
Audio: Pioneer VSX-819HK & S-HS 100 5.1 Speakers
Server: HP Compaq Pro 6300, 4GB RAM, 8.75TB, Bodhi Linux 5.x, NFS, MySQL
if you mean wired or wlan, then wired...
i replaced the pi2 with a celeron chromebox and could not be happier. no clicks, pops, stuttering whatever. so personally for me the problem is solved.
unfortunately my conclusion regarding this topic is raspberry2 & usb dac might indeed be a bad combination.
Yes, I wouldn't recommend USB for audio on Pi.

HDMI direct is the best option
Then HDMI though a HDMI to optical/analogue splitter
Then I2S audio card (like HifiBerry)
Then USB

Many USB cards work fine. If you've got one lying around then feel free to give it a try,
but don't buy a new USB card for a Pi without some confirmation that it works well.

Remember USB audio will share USB bandwidth with ethernet/wifi/USB disk, whereas HDMI and I2S have dedicated interfaces.
Is there any way to give highest priority to USB stack, over ethernet ?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
raspberry2 & usb dac = bad?0