Mysql & local source vs smb
I have read the mysql wiki and setup mysql server working with my main HTPC. However, I have setup the server using local paths as 95% of viewing is on this machine. I am trying to get my remote machine to utilise the database with pathsubstitution in advancedsettings:
<from>m:\TV\</from>
<to>smb://HTPC/TV/</to>

Is this at all possible and if so what am I doing wrong? Or, should I accept that it can't be done and change my sources to smb?

Thanks
It might complicate keeping track of things and cause unforeseen issues that we didn't anticipate, but at least on paper something like that should work. I've done it before in a pinch and had it work. Can you get us a debug log (wiki) of when you attempt to play a video while you have that pathsub set?
Thanks Ned.

As the remote machine is only going to be used sporadically I'd want to try to give it a go.

This is the debug log:
http://xbmclogs.com/pn0xghkqd

I've also tried to IP address rather than HTPC.
Odd. Are you able to browse the SMB share in Kodi to make sure it has the right pemissions to access the files?
Yeah. I've tried again on the actual computer that is going to be the 'client' which is a basic laptop running kodibuntu. Ordinarily it will log into the kids profile which has it's own local database, with the ability to then log into the main profile which links to the master HTPC. For the following debug log however, I have made it default into the main profile. In this log I have run from the sql database, which hasn't allowed the file to work (nor does it show any artwork) and then immediately run into the smb source to run the video which then plays.

I'm having difficulty (inexperience) reading the debug log and deciphering where it is going wrong. It looks to me that the failed play is correctly substituting the path, but early on I note it still references M:\TV.

The SMB share works, however the database link (and substitution) is not working.

Here is the log if you can shed any light?:
http://xbmclogs.com/pvhsixjvj

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Mysql & local source vs smb0