Slow on aTV so what now?
I have several aTV's running Gotham and pulling ISO files from a networked server with multiple drives. It seems slower than when I had a bunch of Xboxes running whatever the version was back then. Same ISO files on same server and network. I understand that the aTV2 only has so much power, memory, etc and that development is dead that direction. Now the news that YouTube will soon no longer work on the little box and Netflix is wanting to update so probably will die soon too. So I'm considering switching to some other box. What is the best/fastest solution. Amazon Fire? Suggestions and experiences is what I'm looking for.
(2015-04-21, 16:50)daMouse Wrote: I have several aTV's running Gotham and pulling ISO files from a networked server with multiple drives. It seems slower than when I had a bunch of Xboxes running whatever the version was back then. Same ISO files on same server and network. I understand that the aTV2 only has so much power, memory, etc and that development is dead that direction. Now the news that YouTube will soon no longer work on the little box and Netflix is wanting to update so probably will die soon too. So I'm considering switching to some other box. What is the best/fastest solution. Amazon Fire? Suggestions and experiences is what I'm looking for.

About 2 months of experience with 2 Fire devices.

Fire TV - DVD ISOs load but it takes a few seconds. This is with an out of the box configuration with Kodi loaded and no alterations. Fast forwarding and skipping work just fine and no rebuffering. Oh and this is wired not wireless.

Fire TV Stick - same as above with no alterations - ISOs usually load. Rebuffering is pretty common. Skipping ahead and fast forwarding are sometimes clunky and has resulted in Kodi crashing. I mention no alterations because I know there is a way to change so that it buffers more I just have no done it because the Stick is in a low-use room and I am moving away from ISOs and vobs anyway. I wish I had not been so stubborn about keeping the DVDs intact 5 years ago.

Keep in mind that 2 months is not very long and different people will have different results so take it lightly. I suggest that you take into account that even though the stick is cheaper compare the specs and decide which you think is going to take you further. The stick also does not allow for external media and obviously has no wire option. I don't use USB unless I am on vacation and even then I don't take it every time but I like having the option to bring some movies and shows with me. Oh and I have never used the Fire on vacation. I have used other STBs in the past for that option.
Chromebox + FLIRC. Kodi flys on it. Everything is buttery smooth with power to spare.
1080p to boot.
I am coming from the ATV2 and it seems 500% faster.

Fry's just had the ASUS Chromebox for $119 *one day sale
I got mine at Fry's for $144 a while back.
Wait for a sale and grab one. FLIRC is ~$15 on sale.
For some reason, Apple TV 2's are still selling for a good price on ebay. You can sell your ATV2 for more than $100 to help make the transition :)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Slow on aTV so what now?0