NAS for Kodi / Synology Play worth the money?
I've been looking at a few NAS for my Kodi.
I would like to put all the media on a NAS and then install Kodi on a raspberry pi 2.

I want a NAS from Synology since they seem to have the best hardware and interface.

I have been looking at the following NAS:
https://www.synology.com/en-global/products/DS214se
https://www.synology.com/en-global/products/DS115
https://www.synology.com/en-global/products/DS215j

They seem to be more or less the same, but my main question is:
Do I need the Play edition so I can watch 1080p streamed from the NAS?
https://www.synology.com/en-global/products/DS214play

The Play edition is a lot more expensive so I would like to be sure, if I really need it.

Thanks!
Have the DS215J and the Rpi2 and it works perfectly!

The DS215j works like a charm and is alot faster then the previous DS213j.
You do not need one of the NAS boxes that has advertised KODI-Support - that only means that the box ITSELF is able to run Kodi on it and output it via HDMI... I do my whole home network on a 5 year old QNAP Box (TS-419P+) with 512MB Ram and a single core ARM CPU and have enough performance for 6 computers, including three kodi boxes, including uncompressed blu-ray images ... so go for a box that fits your size needs (so two, four... disk enclosures) - performance-wise, any 2014 model should be more than adequate for media center usage.
Correct, it all depends on what you want the NAS to do, such as transcoding/Plex or other similar software.

My suggestion, separate the two, storage vs Kodi client.
Pros: Upgrade independently from each other. With the right NAS, it will be years before you touch it again. Kodi, it might be a year or less before you might want to upgrade.
Cons: more devices to manag

There are NAS devices from $140 such as WD MyCloud to very expensive ones.

if you just need a Kodi client to stream files from a NAS, just about any NAS will do. To play the files then it will depend on the Kodi client vs the NAS.

I spent close to $250 for my NAS + AFTV total. Works great, for my needs of course.
AFTV (non-rooted + Kodi)
WD My Book Live NAS
For your information, Synology Play edition does not support DTS transcoding. And software they provide is not as nice as Plex or XBMC. They offer Plex running on it but Plex doesn't take advantage of hardware acceleration, so having Play edition gives you no advantage at all.
Echoing others here: the Play is not needed for your setup. I have an older diskstation (which I love) and for streaming, it's more than adequate. As long as you have reliable drives and a decent ethernet connection, you're good. The client (the pi) will do the heavy lifting.
I would personally hold off on buying a Synology until Silicondust announces support for them with their HDHomeRun DVR (and which models). Their kickstarter states that they are still talking with Synology, but Qnap and WD are on the supported list.

Even if you have no interest, it would be nice knowing that your NAS is supported.
(2015-04-21, 23:42)shabuboy Wrote: There are NAS devices from $140 such as WD MyCloud to very expensive ones.

What is with you and the WD MyCloud? Do you get paid for referrals? This thread is about Synology NAS.
Thank you very much guys!

I think some of you got the wrong idea from the play edition. It does not have an HDMI output, it just supports video transcoding I guess.

Still, you helped me a lot and I will definitely not go with the play edition.
(2015-04-22, 07:37)BeesKnees Wrote:
(2015-04-21, 23:42)shabuboy Wrote: There are NAS devices from $140 such as WD MyCloud to very expensive ones.

What is with you and the WD MyCloud? Do you get paid for referrals? This thread is about Synology NAS.

So, by that thinking, anyone that recommends a Fire TV or RPi2 in a thread about something else, then those people must be getting paid to recommend them?

People recommend what they know, use and like.

(2015-04-22, 11:09)TempleClause Wrote: Thank you very much guys!

I think some of you got the wrong idea from the play edition. It does not have an HDMI output, it just supports video transcoding I guess.

Still, you helped me a lot and I will definitely not go with the play edition.

No, you don't need your NAS to transcode. The only reason that you would need that is if you are using a device that is not able to do the decoding.

Also, unless you are planning to do something other than use the NAS as a file server for Kodi, then there is no reason to limit yourself to just Synology. There are plenty of good cheap NASs that will work just fine for use with Kodi.
Forum Rules (wiki) | Banned add-ons (wiki) | Wiki (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
(2015-04-21, 20:10)TempleClause Wrote: I've been looking at a few NAS for my Kodi.
I would like to put all the media on a NAS and then install Kodi on a raspberry pi 2.

You likely already have all the components you need.

Any old computer will do. Put a few hard drives in it, ubuntu server with webmin and you're done. Cheap and easy.

A store bought NAS is a joke.
(2015-04-22, 07:37)BeesKnees Wrote:

I wish!!!!

And what I meant to say was, there are plenty of NAS from $100-$150 range to over $500, for ANY brand. Anyone can buy whatever they want.
AFTV (non-rooted + Kodi)
WD My Book Live NAS
I use the pi with an 207, hard wired and NFS. 1080p (without dts) works perfectly
I am using a Synology DS1511+ and have two expansion units and I couldn't be happier with the results. Though I will say this wasn't cheap, $1800 for the NAS and expansion units alone and the 14 hard drives I have purchased so far. The last two were WD 6TB Red drives which were $250+ each, so this is definitely not cheap, but it works extremely well.
(2015-04-22, 17:40)FishOil Wrote:
(2015-04-21, 20:10)TempleClause Wrote: I've been looking at a few NAS for my Kodi.

You likely already have all the components you need.

Any old computer will do. Put a few hard drives in it, ubuntu server with webmin and you're done. Cheap and easy.

A store bought NAS is a joke.

if you want RAID redundancy, and not have to troubleshoot a homemade NAS unit, then no, it isn't a joke.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
NAS for Kodi / Synology Play worth the money?0