OSMC vs XBian
What do you guys recommend?

I've been using OpenELEC ever since i got the Pi, but with the recent corruption issues I'd like to try a different distro, I like OE because it was vanilla Kodi, lightweight and quick.

What are you guys using on your Pi2?
OSMC on my Pi 2 and one of my two Pi B and OpenELEC on the other.
I liked RaspBMC on the Rpi B, I like OSMC on the Rpi 2 B
Raspberry Pi Model B 2 1024MB @ 1.0Ghz w/OSMC
--Decommissioned-- Raspberry Pi Model B 512MB @ 1.0Ghz w/ 3TB USB Drive Running Open Media Vault
Rpi 1 I have to recommend the latest openelec build for kodi 15 by millhouse. Runs very well at stock speed. I did a clean install of latest openenlec and then updated to millhouse's and started fresh no backup for best results. Just be sure to not use those 3rd party addon config installers.

For Rpi 2 i moved over to osmc to try something different.
he was asking about OSMC vs XBian, not OSCM vs OpenElec Wink As I haven't used either I can't give any suggestion. If you prefer vanilla Kodi then XBian might be better, but honestly, can't tell
OSMC is really easy to get set up (took about 6 minutes...) and very impressed with it on the Raspberry Pi 2. Lightning quick!!
Kodi 16.1 on main HTPC Win 7 64-bit, 8 GB RAM, Quad Core 2.4 Ghz
3 x Pi2 running Kodi 16.1 (OSMC)
TVHeadend PVR server providing Freeview HD and Freesat HD
I installed osmc and like it very much, very clean and easy on the eyes. I do think it's a tad slower than OE to be honest and all addons I needed worked out of the box. The one thing I disliked was the updates, there where a ton right away. For a htpc I'd rather keep it simple and upgrade when a new kodi is out like how OE is handled, I don't want to be updating weekly reminds me of Windows.

But maybe this was just a one time thing since it was the first time installing.
Honestly you don't have to update it that often, its debian/raspbian based it has a normal package manager and it is supposed to handle everything itself (though there is a bug preventing automatic updates right now) only needing to restart when something big happens. Right now its still in RC so it will probably need to be update a bit more for bug fixes. Imagine it like ubuntu, update often as you want though things might improve with the updates.
Raspberry Pi Model B 2 1024MB @ 1.0Ghz w/OSMC
--Decommissioned-- Raspberry Pi Model B 512MB @ 1.0Ghz w/ 3TB USB Drive Running Open Media Vault
Recalbox :D
(2015-04-22, 23:44)Ned Scott Wrote: Recalbox Big Grin
Offtopic:
Have you tried Lakka? (lakka.tv)
Still in the early days but it is an amazing project. Been using it for a few days on my spare RPI and prefer it over any emulation station + retroarch distro due to its easy of use, speed and easy switch between save States.
I'll have to check that out. Is it possible to use this along side Kodi from their launcher like Emulation Station can?
Unfortunatwly no. I think it is based in openelec (85mb) so you are pretty limited on what you can do without recompiling it. It works like oe, the shaders,saves,,ROMs folders can be accessed from the network tab.
I'm awaiting for my new RPi2 too and would like to know what distro to choose. I'm using OE since over two years, and for media center it's perfect, but with RPi2's horsepower I'd like to check Xbian or OSMC and don' know which one is better.

P.S. Does have RPi2 enough performance for TV (DVB-T + TimeShift + PVR)?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
OSMC vs XBian0