Linux Best OS for HTPC a side from OpenElec
Hi, not sure if this is the right palce to post this so moderators please move this into proper palce if needed.

my question(s) is/are as folows:

what can you recomend for OS to run Kodi on a side for OpenElec.
also a pointer to a good tutorial on how to set it up will be very helpfull.

I am contemplating to build out a Rasbery Pi streamer based on openElec+Kody for my second TV
but not sure if that setup is enough for my primamry TV needs.

I have an HTPC build out on Linux Mint 16 Cinamon
CPU: AMD Phenom™ II X4 820 Processor
RAM: 8GB
HD: 120GB SSD
Video is Radeon HD 6400 (not 100% sure if this is right though)

all this is not very HTPC friendly as it is (I did try to setup XBMC lastyear but it would not work properly.)
also no remote control, keyboard only.

my plan is to get Flirc dungle for remote controll.
and revuild the machine with new OS and Kodi. but I want to be able to surf the web as well so some desktop is needed that I can drop to from Kodi when needed. most of it will be Kodi UI.
I have file server with all my movies and videos and music.
maybe a live TV plugin and YouTube plugin.
Possible move to CableCard netowork HomeRun tunner next year or year after that.

thanks.
Personally I use KodiBuntu on my HTPC.
I had been experimenting with it on my old laptop whilst I decided what to build for my HTPC.
For me at least the flexibility of having a full Linux OS behind it meant I could be as advanced as I wanted and any issues with software could be sorted/updated easily.
I can control it fully using the keyboard, even exiting Kodi and logging onto the Linux side of things thought mainly I SSH into it remotely if I want to do update or tinker with it.

Before starting I hadn't used Linux at all in the previous 12 years or so and barely remembered anything but I got it up and running, added new HDDs, SMB shares and a few other things I was messing with.
Out the box I was extremely pleased as it supported HEVC, H.264@10-bit and HD audio streams to my AVR. All flawlessly (current subtitle problems aside).
For a lightweight setup I highly recommend it, even if you don't know what you are doing someone else out there will and can help.
you might have something there.
I have been reading up on posible OS and so far KodiBuntu is clearly a winner for my needs.
I might also try loding Kodi onto Mint Xface but I really like the original solution not an add-on.
KodiBuntu is built by the main developers and specifically designed to be used with Kodi.
anything else will be just put together thing that might create issues later on.

my guess would be better to load KodiBuntu
add a webmin to it for easy remote config. and be done with it.

is there a way to install a better terminal on that thing? posible candidates for that?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Best OS for HTPC a side from OpenElec0