Win Some folder missing
Hello everybody,
first of all, please excuse my english, I hope you'll understand me...
I have trouble with some music folder which are on a NAS. I'm using kodi 14.0 (then 14.2 and 15 alpha 2 for trying to solve the problem, but no difference) on a windows 8.1 computer, with AEON MQ skin (and confluence also for testing). All of my albums are in t:\artist\(year) album.
It works well in windows.
I have added my source to my library with SMB but it doesn't find all my folder. I have for exemple :
t:/arctic monkeys/(2006) Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not
---- /(2013) AM
and only (2013) AM album appears in kodi.
I have to add the 2006 album by the hand, by copy-paste the path.

Tags seem to be good. And I think the length is not the probleme because t:\ACDC\(2012) Black Ice doesn't appear too.

I tried to delete and re-add the folder but it doesn't work.

In contrast, I install kodi on a galaxy tab and here, it find all of my folders with no problem...

I hope you'll be able to help me. Thanks.
If working with a NAS - you should use SMB or NFS within Kodi - to point to a Folder directly:
from SMB \\NAS-NAME\Music\artist\(year) album.... (while Music is the Name of the NAS Folder)

I had a lot of issues with direct attached SMB drives in Windows...
Do you use guest access or Username/Password to access your NAS?
My Equipment:
HTPC (i7-8700K 3.7 GHz, 32 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD) Windows 10 with Kodi 18.6 & Central SQL DB (Maria DB)
AVR Emotiva RMC-1 & AMP Emotiva XPA9-Gen3, TV LG OLED 65 E6, BD oppo UDP-203, Speaker Revel Performa3 F208 / F206 / C208 / Nubert WS-14 for Atmos/DTS.x)
NAS Synology DS1817+ / DX-517/DX513 (4x8 TB RAID5 + 2 x 5x6TB in RAID5)
Thanks for your answer.
If I remember well, I put the ip adress and the music folder. I use also username/password to access, which works because most of artists are found. Nevertheless, I'll retry it. Maybe with a guest access...
I've tried on a second pc but it doesn't work to : the same folder are missing. But I don't understand why it works fine on the tab...
Stick with the username\password combo. That is the way to go. If some of it works that way, we'll soon get the rest working.

From the PC where KODI is running, can you use the normal file manager to walk into those folders and see everything okay?

Personally I don't bother with mapping a drive letter. So my music is all stored as:

\\server\share\artist\[year] album\tracks

These all are shared as Read Only to a specific user who has their own password.

Try giving us some actual examples of paths that work and ones that don't. I can't make sense of your original post as the example you give has an illegal comma in it which is never going to work.
Thanks,
yes, with the windows' file manager, I can normally access to all of my folders and tracks, with the drive letter or with the server.

t:\ACDC\(1979) Highway to Hell
t:\ACDC\(1980) Back in Black
t:\ACDC\(1992) Live
are found but
t:\ACDC\(2008) Black Ice
don't appear

t:\Clap Your Hands Say Yeah\(2005) Clap Your Hands Say Yeah
t:\Clap Your Hands Say Yeah\(2007) Some Loud Thunder
none of the album appears. Even the folder of the band don't appear in kodi.

t:\AaRON\(2007) Artificial Animals Riding on Neverland
t:\-M-\(2001) Le Tour de -M-
t:\-M-\(2012) Îl
t:\Edward Sharpe & The Magnetic Zeros\(2009) Up From Below
work great in kodi.

It's really understandable, because the tab find everything and add it correctly...

Maybe I can try to make like you : a specific user with read only access ?
Those examples look good and clean. Nothing obvious there that is wrong with the naming of the folders. Years are correct for the release.

What is in the T:\ACDC\(2008) Black Ice\ folder? Are there any extra files alongside the music? .nfo? .txt? Anything else that could be confusing the scraping?

Are the MP3 TAGS in that folder good? Maybe use MP3TAG (or your favourite tagging tool) to re-write those tags clean.

Did you rip these all yourself? Or are they from variable sources? Sometimes tags need cleaning up if they have bogus information in them.

If you want me to have a direct look at them I am happy to do so. PM me and we can arrange a time (I am on UK time here). I'm an IT Engineer by trade so used to nipping onto machine's with TeamViewer.
In the black ice folder, there are the 15 tracks, folder.jpg and cdart.png. Nothing more.
I've tagged with mp3tag (musicbrainz source). I didn't rip myself this cd.

By using upnp in kodi, everything is well found (but I can't add to my library).
You are using UPnP? Why? This may be the trouble. Smile

UPnP on Windows Vista/7/8 needs you to start Windows Media Player on that PC to get it to update the UPnP database for that computer.

After you start Windows Media Player wait a few minutes and watch the status bar. It will eventually buzz through the folders and update everything.

Now KODI should be able to rescan.

As this is a PC it is much better to use Windows File Sharing instead of UPnP when possible.
No no, I'm not using upnp, it was just for checking if folders can be found.
I use SMB for accessing to nas' folders.

I tried with a specific user in the NAS with only read access and tried to add this source in kodi, but there was no change...

By the way, I did not say that it works fine with movies and photos folder. Every folder is scan and add in kodi without any problem...
So to get this straight in my head...

You can navigate to the SMB drives from within Windows without troubles.

KODI will index folders that come before and after the bad folders without trouble.

This shows us that there is NO PROBLEM with your username and password and the way you are connecting to the NAS. It is going to be something specific to the actual music files.

What happens if you do this:
* From home page select MUSIC and then FILES
* Pick your problem NAS share from the list.
* Dig down to your ACDC folder
* Right Click the ACDC folder
* Scan item to library

Does this then correctly update the missing album?

Try the above, but this time take the next step down to the Black Ice folder. Now RIGHT CLICK that Black Ice folder and look at the ALBUM INFORMATION. What happens?
Hi,

the navigation in smb drives with windows works fine.
If I try your steps, it doesn't work, it add nothing... Really strange.

But, I tried this week something different : I uninstall kodi and delete the user's folder. And I install xbmc gotham 13.2, and miracle, all of my music folders are perfectly found. So, I update to kodi 14, albums stay in my library, but when I navigate in source files, my exemples (ACDC, Clap your hands say yeah...) are not reachable.
So I return to gotham... There is something in kodi development which doesn't work for me.
Instead of using the mapped drive letter, what happens if you navigate to the plain Windows Network share using a UNC path? In the style of \\NASNAME\Share\ ? so you then have \\NASNAME\Share\ACDC\ and so forth.

Shouldn't make any difference, but it is the more common way of addressing folders over a network.

As a test, try adding just the ACDC folder as a new source using a UNC path

What happens if you do this:
* From home page select MUSIC and then FILES
* Pick Add Music...
* Now Browse
* This time click on Windows Network (SMB)
* Locate your NAS drive
* Dig down to your ACDC folder
* Hit OK to add this ACDC folder (as a test)
* Supply usernames and password when asked and make sure you tick the box to remember the details.

Other gotchas.... I notice you have been experimenting with different usernames and guest access at different times. Make sure you go through your list of sources and check for consistency. Are they all now using the same method to access the NAS? Are they all using the same username and password for the NAS?

Talking USERS. On your NAS go to the top level of the music folder and make sure it is still SHARED with your USER (ideally reset the share to re-propagate down the tree). Also on the NAS make sure the USER has READ RIGHTS to those files (remember - this is different to the network share rights. It will be on a different tab).

Very specifically, go into one of the trouble folders like Black Ice and check the rights on the files in there. Can you confirm that your Kodi USER has full share and file access rights to the tracks in that folder.
I got your PM and have had a look at those two ACDC albums. Where on earth did they come from? They are such trash quality! Insane level of over compression, and in the Black Ice album half of the tracks are not even true MP3s.

BUT... that isn't the reason they don't scan in. There is something far more bizarre going on. I'll investigate closer later but there is something "odd" about how you have created that (2008) Black Ice folder. Maybe you've knackered the security rights or something on it, not sure. It is something that is still in the zip though!

When I unpacked your folders into my music test directory I then used KODI to navigate into the folders. Yet KODI's file manager just refused to show the name of (2008) Black Ice. "Something" was telling KODI to ignore it. Which explains why it then didn't get scanned in to the database.

The fix is easy.

* On your PC, go into the ACDC folder.
* Make a NEW folder. Fresh and empty.
* Copy all the tracks from the (2008) Black Ice folder and put them into the New Folder.
* Now delete that empty (2008) Black Ice folder
* Rename your New Folder to (2008) Black Ice
* Rescan with KODI.

When I get back from town I'll see if anything stands out about that old folder name. It is very weird. Renaming it wasn't enough. It isn't hidden.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Some folder missing0