Problems with adjust display refresh rate
(2015-04-25, 13:49)noggin Wrote: Hmm - so your projector supports 1080/24p input - yet this isn't reported by tvservice? That's odd...

If you look at my tvservice I have mode 32 reported, but you don't :
Code:
mode 32: 1920x1080 @ 24Hz 16:9, clock:74MHz progressive 3D:FP|TopBot|SbS-HH

I'm gonna check it again in the evening, when the projector is on, but yes, the Benq W1070 supports 24p.
(2015-04-25, 15:32)Victorpictor Wrote: I even rebooted the Pi for the changes to take effect in the config.txt.
But it's true, that the Pi is on for 24/7 while the projector is not.
That could be an issue. If the Pi is booted with the projector not switched on or not connected then the EDID data won't be read correctly?

Is it connected directly, or through an amp or HDMI splitter? (I know some people with projectors split with their TVs - and active HDMI splitters will interrogate all connected displays and report only display modes supported by all connected devices to the source)
No splitter or repeater, the signal goes from the Pi to the Onkyo and then to the projector.
Does the Onkyo just feed the projector or does it have a second output.

Do you always power up the projector and the Onkyo, and select the Pi input on the Onkyo before you power the Pi up?
What do you mean by second output? No additional optical or coax cable for the audio, if that's what you mean.
No, the Pi is on 24/7, the Onkyo is in stand-by mode, only power it up when I listen to music or in the evening, when I power up the projector too.
But I think I'm gonna stick to 60Hz for 24p sources, that slight strutter doesn't bother me.
Watching 24p always feels funny anyways, some scenes seem to have sped up, to catch up, I don't know if it makes sense Big Grin
By the way, can't say enough times, thank you for this gorgeuos software, been using it since 2008 Smile
Greetings from Hungary!
(2015-04-26, 07:28)Victorpictor Wrote: What do you mean by second output? No additional optical or coax cable for the audio, if that's what you mean.
No, the Pi is on 24/7, the Onkyo is in stand-by mode, only power it up when I listen to music or in the evening, when I power up the projector too.

I meant a second video output from the Onkyo - as some amps have two HDMI outputs - one to feed a projector, one to feed a TV (for situations where the projector is not used for all viewing). Our Onkyo amp has this facility. If you have a TV that doesn't support 24p but a projector that does, but the TV is switched on when the Pi is booted (even if the projector is also on) the Onkyo would only report the frame rates and resolution supported by the TV AND the amp - so if the TV didn't support 24p the Pi wouldn't be told that the system could cope with 24p. If the TV was switched off and just the projector on, then 24p would be flagged as suitable.

If you don't have a second output from your amp, the other key question is whether the amp and projector were both switched on and the Pi input selected on the Onkyo before the Pi was switched on. When the Pi is switched on it needs to be able to talk to the Onkyo and the projector to check their facilities. If the projector is off or the Onkyo is selected to a different input, then this won't happen and the Pi won't know which resolutions and frame rates and sound formats are supported by the Onkyo and the projector.

As for 60Hz vs 24Hz replay - each to their own. For me, as I grew up watching movies on TV and DVD in Europe, where we watch them 2:2, when Blu-ray and US DVDs arrived with 24p replay at 60Hz with 3:2 I found them very difficult to watch. As soon as I could get an HDTV with 24p inputs and that showed 24p without 3:2, I bought one. I'm a big fan of watching 24p content at a 24p-friendly refresh rate, just as it is at the cinema.

I don't understand your 'sped up' comment, unless your Benq is somehow doing some frame interpolation, like "Natural Motion", "Motion Flow" etc. which makes all film content look like sport or entertainment video (sometimes called "Soap Opera Effect")

Each to their own - and I'm glad you're happy. The flashing you originally reported is now solved (like my flashing with my Onkyo amp)?
(2015-04-26, 10:27)noggin Wrote: Each to their own - and I'm glad you're happy. The flashing you originally reported is now solved (like my flashing with my Onkyo amp)?

No, that's why I was thinking about boosting the HDMI signal with config_hdmi_boost.
But if you could solve it, could you post your config.txt?
(2015-04-26, 12:10)Victorpictor Wrote:
(2015-04-26, 10:27)noggin Wrote: Each to their own - and I'm glad you're happy. The flashing you originally reported is now solved (like my flashing with my Onkyo amp)?

No, that's why I was thinking about boosting the HDMI signal with config_hdmi_boost.
But if you could solve it, could you post your config.txt?

Mine was fixed with setting the clock limit to around 40 I think. Am constantly experimenting with my Pi 2 so not sure I have a working config at the moment - but I think the default now works in the milhouse builds?

(My main Kodi box is still a Chromebox, but the Pi 2 is being used in secondary locations - without an Onkyo amp in the way, and thus less sensitive to hdmi clock changes)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Problems with adjust display refresh rate0