Razer Forge TV
My Razer Forge TV finally arrived today (Razer inexplicably cancelled my order and I had to re-order from Amazon).

Based on the recent Amazon reviews, I'm very tempted to return it without even opening it.

However, I will take a go at it this weekend and report back my findings in as much depth as I can.
(2015-05-19, 19:14)USCMitch Wrote: My Razer Forge TV finally arrived today (Razer inexplicably cancelled my order and I had to re-order from Amazon).

Based on the recent Amazon reviews, I'm very tempted to return it without even opening it.

However, I will take a go at it this weekend and report back my findings in as much depth as I can.

Will be definitely waiting for your in-depth review & may be that'll help decide on it.
May want to check out Lon's review before jumping in...
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My HT
Lon's not a fan... Let's see if the Shield is any better and also if the missing Netflix rumours for that device are also true.
Neflix seems to be included with nVidia's box. See cached Amazon product page (which was pulled).
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My HT
Good spot, think this is the one for me. Now just need a nice new 4K tv to show it off :-)
Finally got around to testing up the Forge TV last night. On initial startup it updated Android. The process was relatively quick and hassle-free. Using the Serval game controller, I was able to sign into my Google account and install Hulu and SlingTV. I was unable to pair an Amazon Fire TV remote with the Forge TV. Supposedly, the Fire Stick remote will work. Overall, my initial thoughts are rather mixed:

Positives:
- Was able to install Kodi and SPMC from a PC relatively easily utilizing Teamviewer. A simple function test showed that the interface was quick and responsive using Confluence. I was also able to easily add Android apps to favorites and they launched quickly. Tonight I will test if the Forge recognized a USB storage device out of the box or requires Stickmount, as well as test the playback of different files. The hardware seems very responsive and capable. However, the truth will be told on further testing.

Negatives:
- As previously discussed, Netflix is not pre-installed. I was able to sideload a working version, but it was not really usable with the controller as it was the mobile version and not remote friendly. The hope here is that this is fixable in the near future.
- No working Amazon Video app either. Again, I was able to sideload a version that would launch but could not sign in since I don't have a keyboard at the moment.
- The Serval controller is a bit much. It's over done and cheap feeling at the same time. I wasn't planning on using the Forge TV for gaming, but since I'm stuck using the controller at the moment I thought I would offer that observation.

Above is simply a quick and very cursory review. More to follow after I have some time to really dive into Kodi tonight. If there are any specific things anyone would like answered, please ask. However, be advised that my current setup (a hotel room in Vilseck, Germany) limits the features I can test.

UPDATE:

After some additional usage, I'm less than enthused about this box overall.

- Currently, no USB support for external storage. It failed to recognize my FAT32 formatted USB stick at all.
- Using SPMC, it played smaller (app. 2GB) MP4 files fine over the network. However, it struggled with larger Blu-Ray rips with stuttering. I was able to eliminate most of the stuttering by turning off libstagefright. However, there was still some slight stutter left. This may have been due to the network as the little hotel network here isn't the greatest.
- Also of note, after only about 1.5 hours of use the box was surprisingly hot.

Overall, there is clearly some potential with the device but currently there are far too many shortcomings to be a solid appliance: no Netflix, no Amazon Video, no USB storage support, and limited app support in the Play store.

Very disappointed. Hopefully, the nVidia Shield will be much better.
Sending mine back. Very disappointed. Ordering the Shield.
Hopefully this is still 'somewhat' monitored. I was able to pick up a Forge for $60.00 and I can see how disappointing the device is with it's original price tag however, for what I paid for it I am very satisfied. The only thing haven't found yet is a working amazon video app, does anyone have any ideas?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Razer Forge TV0