Chromebox SSD upgrade
Hi!
I'm planning to replace the SSD in my Asus Chromebox. The original 16GB SSD is getting smaller every day, as my Kodi library is getting bigger. I've been looking at several SSDs, but the small M.2 SSD is quite expensive compared to mSATA. I want a fast SSD with at least 64GB of memory. Almost all M.2 SSDs on Ebay are either to big, too slow or too expensive.

Ive seen a lot of cheap, fast and large mSATA SSDs. Is it possible to use a M.2 to mSATA adapter like THIS? There are actually some space inside the chromebox to fit this adapter.

Have some of you guys replaced your SSD?
Hmm, did you try to clean your thumbnail cache ? It would be free and should do it as even with a very big library it's hard to fill up so much space IMHO.
Check the thread for texture cache maintenance utility.

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=158373
the .Kodi folder is really big, and contain a lot of thumbnails. But shouldn't the library contain all the necessary pictures and thumbnails to represent the content?
That is a lot of space to use. Can't say much about M.2 to mSATA adapters, but I've got a M.2 extender which looks very similar to this adapter (using it with a 2260 M.2 drive) and it's been working great.

That said, this not an option?
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...il+cleaner

Run it in "Simulate" to see how much free space you can get without making any changes.

I use it myself, I have over 1000 movies/TV shows and my thumbnail file is 17,119 items / 1.2 gig. with no loss of features.
I've actually partitioned the SSD, so 10GB is used for ubuntu and 6GB is used for Chrome OS. I may clean up the library, but I want to be able to store some content on the Chromebox as well.

Where can I find this M.2 Extender?
(2015-04-23, 23:31)hansibull Wrote: I've actually partitioned the SSD, so 10GB is used for ubuntu and 6GB is used for Chrome OS. I may clean up the library, but I want to be able to store some content on the Chromebox as well.

There you go...I am using the same one

http://www.amazon.com/Transcend-MTS400-S...ds=m.2+ssd
MY CURRENT MEDIA PLAYER | MY HOME THEATER
MINIX NEO U22-XJ COREELEC v19 MATRIX | EGREAT A10 | NVIDIA SHIELD | LG 75 NANO90 DV/HDR+ | Sony 43 Android TV HDR
XBOX SERIES X  | PS4 PRO 4K | JBL 9.1 System 5.1.4 DTS:X/ATMOS 
(2015-04-23, 22:24)hansibull Wrote: Hi!
I'm planning to replace the SSD in my Asus Chromebox. The original 16GB SSD is getting smaller every day, as my Kodi library is getting bigger. I've been looking at several SSDs, but the small M.2 SSD is quite expensive compared to mSATA. I want a fast SSD with at least 64GB of memory. Almost all M.2 SSDs on Ebay are either to big, too slow or too expensive.

Ive seen a lot of cheap, fast and large mSATA SSDs. Is it possible to use a M.2 to mSATA adapter like THIS? There are actually some space inside the chromebox to fit this adapter.

Have some of you guys replaced your SSD?

Too slow?
Hardly, all that matters is seek time and even the cheapo no brand pants ones that write at ~100MB and read at ~200MB are more than up the job.
Purchased an m.2 128GB Samsung one the other day new for £29.99 delivered on ebay, for example, that was pretty cheap obviously but it runs like a dream on my new broadwell i5 NUC.
No difference in speed loading fanart/thumbnails than my Samsung 840 Evo 1TB.

edit, just to add a bit of context - latest 15.0 kodi, pvr running, approximately 2000 "movies" in database and 350 tv show series (over 10,000 episodes).
(2015-04-24, 00:29)movie78 Wrote:
(2015-04-23, 23:31)hansibull Wrote: I've actually partitioned the SSD, so 10GB is used for ubuntu and 6GB is used for Chrome OS. I may clean up the library, but I want to be able to store some content on the Chromebox as well.

There you go...I am using the same one

http://www.amazon.com/Transcend-MTS400-S...ds=m.2+ssd

I believe he was asking for a M.2 Extender.

Here is more info on the one I've got. The only one I found where you can buy just one is this one. They also sell it on ebay. And yes, I've got spares, but unless you're in Australia I'm not sure I could do it much cheaper. International Postage prices from Australia are... umm... what's the word?
I have a ChromeBox that has 1200 movies and 62 TV shows in it's library and it's barely using 500MB of it's storage. As others have said, I would look into removing any unneeded thumbnails and textures, space should never be an issue with the ChromeBox.
Living Room: ASUS Chromebox / OpeneElec 5 / Kodi 14.2
Bedroom: Amazon FireTV Stick / Kodi 14.2
Home Office: Amazon FireTV Stick / Kodi 14.2
Windows Server: Intel Core i3-2100T / 8GB Ram / 48TB / MySQL / StableBit DrivePool on Server 2012 R2 Standard

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Chromebox SSD upgrade0