HP Stream Mini Bedroom Kodi HT
Hi All,

Here's my 1st Kodi home theater setup.

It's a 46" Samsung F6300 driven by a HP Stream Mini 210. Audio is handled by a cheap but functional Onkyo HT-RC430 AVR driving my ancient Pioneer HPM-100's (bought new in the mid 1970's (yes, I'm approaching grampa status...). I took the grills off so you could enjoy the awesomeness of mid-70's speaker styling :-). The Mini gives DTS-HD MA and True HD passthrough and smooth, sharp video.

I've installed 8 G of ram in the Mini, increased HD size to 256 GB, and installed Win 8.1 Pro (so I can connect via remote desktop to fiddle with it). I bought a cheap MCE infra-red remote & a MINIX NEO A2 to manage Kodi with. I use the MCE the most, but the little keyboard on the MINIX has been useful.

Files are served from a Synology DS-212j NAS via powerline ethernet (which, in this case, can sustain 90 Mb/s reliably) so there is no annoying buffering, even with uncompressed blu ray rips. The Kodi installation is pretty vanilla, with the Aeon Nox skin.

I have used Plex Media Server on my desktop with the Plex client app on the TV for a few years, but the flexibility and performance of Kodi and the power savings of the HP Mini seem to be a better solution for me.

Thank you for letting me share this with you Wink

watch gallery
Matrix 19.x (LE), Aeon Nox SiLVO, NUC8i5BEK (i5-8259U, Intel Iris Plus Graphics 655, 16 GB ram, 128 GB M.2 SSD)
Samsung F6300 46" LED LCD TV, SMSL Q5 Pro amplifier, Pioneer HPM-100 speakers
Synology DS215j NAS fileserver (WD Gold 10TB x 2)
Pioneer put out some great speakers and receivers in the 70's. I think those speakers are badass!
(2015-04-25, 20:24)rick390 Wrote: Pioneer put out some great speakers and receivers in the 70's. I think those speakers are badass!

They have their fans and their critics, but I've always liked them for rock & roll, blues, etc. What amazes me is that after almost 40 years the speaker surrounds and cones haven't degraded and/or rotted away. They weigh about 65 lbs each, so I've always found it amusing they're classified as "bookshelf" speakers. I think I need to rebuild the crossovers and clean or replace the level adjustment potentiometers, but they still pound out the soundtracks!
Matrix 19.x (LE), Aeon Nox SiLVO, NUC8i5BEK (i5-8259U, Intel Iris Plus Graphics 655, 16 GB ram, 128 GB M.2 SSD)
Samsung F6300 46" LED LCD TV, SMSL Q5 Pro amplifier, Pioneer HPM-100 speakers
Synology DS215j NAS fileserver (WD Gold 10TB x 2)
Yeah the books were bigger in the 70's! Think of all those door to door encyclopaedia salesmen now replaced by wikipedia!
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
I used to call those speakers Hump 'em 100s. Loved those air motion transformers and tried to figure a way to put them in my Lafayette Criterion 2002+ which I still use today (did have to replace the foam around the cones though).

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HP Stream Mini Bedroom Kodi HT0