UPnP Video Library Sharing not working in 15 Alpha?
Just installed 15A on my main Kodi system (Windows7) and also on my FireTV.

This is the first time I've setup UPnP sharing. 'MediaPC' (HOST Win7 Kodi) has Settings enabled to Share library via UPnP. 'FTV' (CLIENT Android Kodi) I added a Video node: browsed and selected 'MediaPC'

I also have the sources for my 'FTV' setup the same as the 'MediaPC' and I can browse in Files mode both the UPnP node and direct sources, no issue.

FTV library is not updating
MediaPC library updates perfectly fine
... both are over the same WiFi N, same router, same network.
... both can browse fine using 'Files' method

Also, does UPnP in 15 have watched status and resume points being shared?

thx

sources.xml from FTV (MediaPC is identical, except without UPnP source - and it works fine)

Code:
<video>
        <default pathversion="1"></default>
        <source>
            <name>Movies</name>
            <path pathversion="1">smb://192.168.2.50/movies/</path>
            <allowsharing>true</allowsharing>
        </source>
        <source>
            <name>New Downloads</name>
            <path pathversion="1">smb://192.168.2.50/Downloads/</path>
        </source>
        <source>
            <name>Video Books</name>
            <path pathversion="1">smb://192.168.2.50/Video Books/</path>
        </source>
        <source>
            <name>Kids TV</name>
            <path pathversion="1">smb://192.168.2.50/kids tv/</path>
        </source>
        <source>
            <name>Kids Movies</name>
            <path pathversion="1">smb://192.168.2.50/kids movies/</path>
        </source>
        <source>
            <name>TV</name>
            <path pathversion="1">smb://192.168.2.50/tv/</path>
        </source>
        <source>
            <name>mediapc</name>
            <path pathversion="1">upnp://681d4fcb-e13b-86f7-2b7a-f86f8f0b286d/library%3a%2f%2fvideo%2f/</path>
        </source>
    </video>
I'm not an expert but I play one at work.
There's some bugs where the "client" end doesn't seem to notice updates, at least for TV shows. I think movies will show updates to the library and updates to watch/resume status, TV shows on the client Kodi doesn't seem to show this, even if the client has updated the watched/resume point. In other words, you watch an episode on the client, and the watched status is recorded, but the client shows it as still being unwatched until Kodi is relaunched.

I think we'll eventually see a fix when the work from the "media import" stuff comes in, which is UPnP on steroids. I would recommend checking out those test builds, since you're already on non-stable builds: http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=224794
My Android 'Client' is not working for ANY UPnP... i switched back to regular sources.

Easy library sharing is a feature MANY MANY MANY people have been asking for YEARS for and been ignored. KODI seems to have plateaued back in v12 and since then very little has been added to improve usability. I hate to say it but might be time to look at Plex again.
Sorry, I misread what you said. You apparently are thinking that UPnP already intigrates with the local library, which it does not. Watched/resume status is shared, but it only works as a file node for v12 to v14.

Integrating with the local library is an entirely new feature that is being introduced right now in the link I just pointed you to. So, no, you're wrong, it was never ignored, and people are working their asses off on it. So sorry we didn't magically create "easy" file sharing at the drop of a hat, but good features take time to develop. Here's that link again, since you missed it the first time:

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=224794

If you want to go use Plex, then do that. Saying that you're going to go off and use Plex as a threat will pretty much just get you laughed and mocked here, something you should have learned from being on the forums for so long.
Not to mention that sharing over smb|nfs plus the use of mysql work well for everything you want, so your needs aren't exactly unmet.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
My opinion (which I think I have a right to my own) is not disappointment that this will take time to develop... it is that the development took many years for anyone to start, or care about on the dev team.

If you took my desire to look at another app that has a feature I want as a threat, your definition of 'threat' is different than mine - and different than the dictionary.

This feature has been asked by many people, for many years - yes it was ignored, literally. I've been using XBMC for 11 years... my memory is much longer than your 4 years with the app.

MySQL is not the solution people really want... People don't want to manage another, separate, database. This is why Plex works well... it IS "easy" for ANYONE. 5 months ago, using 13.2 - I tried moving XBMC to MySQL. I'm a very technically savvy person and I couldn't get it to work after a few hours of trying.

While I've loved XBMC since 2004, this is a huge gap in core functionality. If it is difficult to get it working using UPnP then maybe they need to abandon that and use something else. While I'm not a coder myself, I have managed teams of coders (including databases with large data sets - hundreds of thousands of objects) and don't understand why this is so difficult... for over a decade coders have successfully implemented database replication on MUCH more difficult data sets... even multi-master with millions of objects and thousands of attributes (Active Directory).

While I'd be surprised... If the KODI data set is so much more difficult, or different, than the other databases in the IT world... I'm happy to learn something new.
It is more than database replication. Have you read Montellese's first post in the thread pointed to (twice)?
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2015-04-27, 04:05)Livin Wrote: and I couldn't get it to work after a few hours of trying.

It sounds like your definition of "very technically savvy" is different from mine, or that of the dictionary...

(Sorry, couldn't resist)

I barely even remember the time I installed MySQL, which is usually a very good indication that it was entirely uneventful and a few minutes work.

I'm not a MySQL "guru", I just followed one of the how-to guides *to the letter* and it worked (this is going back 3-4 years).

Most people that fail when installing MySQL support do so because they think they know better than the guide and go "off piste" - they skip or modify vital steps and are left wondering why the hell it doesn't work as it should.

Installing MySQL support is *not* difficult provided you're able to complete the small number of required steps in the correct sequence. When people that don't know what they're doing start to improvise, that's usually when it all goes to hell in a hand basket.
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
@Milhouse, +1. I totally agree.
(2015-04-27, 04:05)Livin Wrote: My opinion (which I think I have a right to my own) is not disappointment that this will take time to develop... it is that the development took many years for anyone to start, or care about on the dev team.

Development on what I just pointed you towards (media import) had started two years ago. We've been telling people for almost three years about the team's efforts to come up with a good replacement for MySQL, which was seen as a dead end, but MySQL itself was still a feature that someone was working on in trying to make an easy library sharing solution. How many years do you want someone to have been working on a solution?

Quote:This feature has been asked by many people, for many years - yes it was ignored, literally. I've been using XBMC for 11 years... my memory is much longer than your 4 years with the app.

Want me to post pictures of my original xbox and hand soldered mod chip? Just because my forum account is younger than yours doesn't mean you've been using the program longer than I have.

Quote:If it is difficult to get it working using UPnP then maybe they need to abandon that and use something else.

You mean like the media import thread I keep linking you to? The one I said will probably take care of all of the shortcomings of the current "normal" UPnP sharing?

Quote:While I'm not a coder myself, I have managed teams of coders (including databases with large data sets - hundreds of thousands of objects) and don't understand why this is so difficult... for over a decade coders have successfully implemented database replication on MUCH more difficult data sets... even multi-master with millions of objects and thousands of attributes (Active Directory)

Having code that can be described as doing something similar is not the same as actually having code developed for Kodi. Nor does it have anything to do with having people available to work on it for free, and in their spare time.

You don't understand why it's so difficult because you're not a coder, because it's not the same situation as other software groups/companies, because we don't have a team of paid developers, because you don't even know about what we're doing today to improve these things.

Plex has paid developers and an actual dedicated business for their product. Plex gets to use anything we work our asses off on, and they get to use it for free. You really want to wonder why they already have easy library sharing and we don't? Have you been paying attention to how this program is made? Have you been asleep for the last 11 years?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
UPnP Video Library Sharing not working in 15 Alpha?1