Solved PI 2 - sometimes strange red shadows/flickering in Video Playback
Hi there Big Grin

First of all i'd like to mention how satisfied i'm with Kodi and it's Opportunities.
I'm Running Kodi 14.2 on mi Pi 2 since about 2 weeks and i'm daily impressed again and daily experiencing new awesome features. The possibilities seem awesome to me regarding on which Hardware the System is running.

Okay so far so awesome ^^ but i wouldn't post in support if i wouldn't also have faced a problem these days ^^

As far as i can remember, the problem started when i first plugged an external USB Drive (self powered) directly to the PI and started playback from this USB Drive.
Suddenly I had some strange red shadows/flickering around the Screen. Sometimes just a bit, sometimes all over and everywhere. I'll attach a Photo.

So i started testing a little bit ...

USB Drive Plugged in --> red shadows in picture, no matter which source (Samba, USB Drive, NAS) and no matter which codec or quality
USB Drive Plugged in and off --> same as above
USB Drive Plugged off --> same as above
Changing USB Port --> same as above

Rebooting without plugged USB Drive --> No Shadows any more
Rebooting with USB Drive plugged and on --> No shadows any more
Rebooting withe USB Drive plugged and off --> No Shadows any more
No Rebooting, just plugging off usb drive AND re-plugging HDMI Cable --> no shadows any more ...

These were my first try and errors and i thougt i could find some schema or routine, in which these shadows/flickering appear ...

But no ... no routine, no schema ...

Sometimes it worked fine for 2 or 3 hours, without having done anything different or different settings or something like that (as far as i know / can remember)
Then the Shadows suddenly appear again und now it's running fine again since yesterday and a couple of hours of playback.

Yeah so it's running fine at the moment, so why starting a thread here ?

I hope somebody can tell me where problems like this can come from or even had similar problems, als shown on the foto.
And probably somebody can give some advice how i could resolve this problem, if it turns up again.

Thanks
It's going to be a voltage issue. Try config_hdmi_boost from here first:
http://elinux.org/R-Pi_Troubleshooting#I...VI_monitor

or a different HDMI cable. I suspect the signal over hdmi is borderline, and the extra voltage drop when USB disk it attached is making the difference.
A better power supply could also fix it.
(2015-04-26, 15:15)popcornmix Wrote: It's going to be a voltage issue. Try config_hdmi_boost from here first:
http://elinux.org/R-Pi_Troubleshooting#I...VI_monitor

or a different HDMI cable. I suspect the signal over hdmi is borderline, and the extra voltage drop when USB disk it attached is making the difference.
A better power supply could also fix it.

Thanks a lot, i'll try the hdmi boost Smile
The Info you linked says i'd have to plug SD card directly to PC to edit config.txt.
I can also find and open the config.txt over SFTP. Can i also edit it through SFTP?

edit: my fault ^^ i shoud have read better, i need the config.txt in /boot

edit #2: I found the correct config.txt directly in root of the SD Card and added
Code:
config_hdmi_boost=1

As far as i understood it, the value 1 already means an increase of the standard/normal settings, right?
Better low and careful i think ... later i still can increase the value in case the flickering turns up again ... but so far so good Smile

I'll watch and report after a while, thanks a lot once more
After some more hours of playback i think i can report the problem solved Smile
config_hdmi_boost=1 eliminated the flickering so far, no picture issues any more Smile

Thank you very much Cool

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
PI 2 - sometimes strange red shadows/flickering in Video Playback0