Looking for good RF or Bluetooth remote for Kodi
I just got one of the new Raspberry Pi 2's. I'm running OpenOLEC on it and it's running great so far.

Right now I'm using a Gyration GYR3101US pic, but not all the buttons are working and it's been dropped ~1000 times. I like it because it's RF (not sure why IR's still so common), it has a nice layout.

New remote should have:

USB Bluetooth or RF dongle.

Media control keys (Volume, Channel, Previous, Next, Play, Pause, Stop, FF, RW, etc.)

Navigation keys (Up, Down, Left, Right, Enter, Back, Options, etc.)

Don't need air-mouse functionality or keyboard.

Is there anything out there that would work well with Kodi that's like I'm describing? Thanks!
/ OSMC on Raspberry Pi 3 / Kodi 17 RC / FireTV Stick /
Have a look at the PS3 Blu-ray Bluetooth remote (you'll need a separate Bluetooth dongle)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-PlayStation...ray+remote
(2015-04-27, 01:03)noggin Wrote: Have a look at the PS3 Blu-ray Bluetooth remote (you'll need a separate Bluetooth dongle)

Does Kodi recognize all the buttons out of the box or does it need a lot of tinkering to get it to work?

I have an OLD bluetooth dongle which appears to be working.
(2015-04-27, 02:56)leetwanker Wrote:
(2015-04-27, 01:03)noggin Wrote: Have a look at the PS3 Blu-ray Bluetooth remote (you'll need a separate Bluetooth dongle)

Does Kodi recognize all the buttons out of the box or does it need a lot of tinkering to get it to work?

If you are using OpenElec, then you enable the Bluetooth service in the OpenElec config add-on, then pair the remote within the OpenElec Bluetooth menu. Then it just works. The current button mapping is based on the original PS3 Bluetooth remote that doesn't have CH+/CH- buttons so (from memory) they aren't mapped, however everything else is I think. The Vol +/- buttons may not be (they can be mapped to IR remote controls for Sony TVs or Amps)

I tested the remote briefly with a Raspberry Pi 2 (I usually use an RC6 remote and USB IR dongle, or a Tivo Slide Pro with its USB RF dongle on my Pis) and a D-Link Bluetooth remote and it worked fine.

If you don't like the default key mapping it is quite straightforward to change this if you are happy with SSH and Nano, and I think there is also a keymap add-on, though I've not tried it. (I'm happy with doing stuff via SSH)
(2015-04-27, 09:10)noggin Wrote:
(2015-04-27, 02:56)leetwanker Wrote:

If you are using OpenElec, then you enable the Bluetooth service in the OpenElec config add-on, then pair the remote within the OpenElec Bluetooth menu. Then it just works. The current button mapping is based on the original PS3 Bluetooth remote that doesn't have CH+/CH- buttons so (from memory) they aren't mapped, however everything else is I think. The Vol +/- buttons may not be (they can be mapped to IR remote controls for Sony TVs or Amps)

I tested the remote briefly with a Raspberry Pi 2 (I usually use an RC6 remote and USB IR dongle, or a Tivo Slide Pro with its USB RF dongle on my Pis) and a D-Link Bluetooth remote and it worked fine.

If you don't like the default key mapping it is quite straightforward to change this if you are happy with SSH and Nano, and I think there is also a keymap add-on, though I've not tried it. (I'm happy with doing stuff via SSH)

The Tivo Slide Pro looked like a really nice remote to me. It works well with OpenELEC/Pi2?
It does if you follow the guide on TiVo Slide (wiki) :)
Takes quite a lot of fiddling to get just right - and I'm not quite happy with mine yet - but I'm very close. Prefer the PS3 remote for basic functionality, but the Tivo Slide is very nice to hold, and hard to beat if you need basic text entry.
I think next time I've got $80 to spend I'll buy a Tivo Slide Pro. It's a really well designed remote from the looks of it. Seems to have everything I want in a remote ^^

Thanks guys!
I think this thread is better suited in our HW forum, moved.
hows the ps3 remote for battery in openelec for the pi?I've used it under other platforms but always found it didn't sleep well and went thru the batteries fast.
Its fine as long as you go into bluetooth settings, hit edit and turn on standby, then its fine.
I'm thinking about something similar, running OpenELEC on a RPi 2. I have a Logitech K400 keyboard with trackpad that works great, but looking for a more traditional remote (prefer physical with tactile feel for late night horror in the dark Big Grin), though the Kore app works great. I'm wondering if there are any remotes that can be programmed to work with both the TV and the RPi? I wonder if a BT remote could use the Logitech's BT dongle?
Dead-thread Necromancer!

Mac Mini (mid-2011) • 2.3GHz Intel Core i5 • 8Gb RAM • OS X 10.9.5 • TVMC 14.2
Raspberry Pi 2 • OpenELEC 6.0
Would the PS3 Blu-ray Bluetooth remote work on a NUC's BT without the BT dongle?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Looking for good RF or Bluetooth remote for Kodi0