Solved "Allow file renaming and deletion" do nothing
Hello everybody, I'm new to Kodi and this forum.

I'm running my machine with Windows7 Pro 64Bit SP1 and Kodi 14.2 , my movie are stored in a d-Link NAS

I have turn on "Allow file renaming and deletion" in setting. In the movie page, I do right-click (context menu) my movie-> manage>remove>confirm delete from library>confirm delete file on drive (because I'm in Chinese translation, the terms maybe slightly difference with native English interface), the movie file and folder still here, nothing is changed. I have to go into system>file manage and delete over there.

Any thoughts?

Thank you.
Is it possible the account you used to connected to the share and create the library doesn't have the proper access rights to delete a file? Maybe you connect to it using the file manager with a different account with the proper rights.
my NAS is in very simple setup, no any custom account right setup (no user account, no password, it act more like a pure network drive). I raised the question because I could delete the movie in kodi>system>file manager, however the context menu will show the delete confirmation but nothing is done over there....
Kricker is telling you to check the NAS not KODI for the problem.

Try this. Close KODI. Use your normal Windows PC File Manager to navigate into the NAS folder. Try delete something. If you cannot delete this because of NAS file and\or sharing rights.

Make sure you have write access to the NAS.
(2015-04-27, 19:57)BatterPudding Wrote: Kricker is telling you to check the NAS not KODI for the problem.

Try this. Close KODI. Use your normal Windows PC File Manager to navigate into the NAS folder. Try delete something. If you cannot delete this because of NAS file and\or sharing rights.

Make sure you have write access to the NAS.

I can delete the file without problem in windows file manager, so what's next?
Create a debug log repeating the action and post the log to xbmclogs.com. Then link to the log here so we can take a look. See the wiki for any questions concerning creating the debug log.
Thanks, will do that asap
When you added your files into KODI which protocol did you choose? It is a Windows File Share? NFS? UPnP?
(2015-04-28, 11:30)BatterPudding Wrote: When you added your files into KODI which protocol did you choose? It is a Windows File Share? NFS? UPnP?

I do that in Kodi. I goto "movie>choose the folder from my NAS", then it start scans all the movie in that folder and list them up in Kodi with fancy poster arts
Select VIDEOS
Now select FILES
Highlight the folder for your NAS
Right click for the menu
Select EDIT VIDEO SOURCE

What, exactly, is the path? What does it start with? smb: nfs: upnp: ?

The first time you added your NAS to the library you would have chosen to "Browse for new share". I am trying to find out how you have added the folder.
Post the contents of the sources.xml file. It will show the paths.

Also we can be more helpful with the debug where you replicate the item not getting deleted.
(2015-04-28, 17:44)BatterPudding Wrote: Select VIDEOS
Now select FILES
Highlight the folder for your NAS
Right click for the menu
Select EDIT VIDEO SOURCE

What, exactly, is the path? What does it start with? smb: nfs: upnp: ?

The first time you added your NAS to the library you would have chosen to "Browse for new share". I am trying to find out how you have added the folder.

Quote:Post the contents of the sources.xml file. It will show the paths.

Also we can be more helpful with the debug where you replicate the item not getting deleted.

Will have a look tonight and report here. For the debug log, I could post it some days later, thank you for all of your help.

my NAS is mapped as network drive in Win7, so it shows as Z: (no smb: nfs: upnp: )

the source.xml file is here:

<sources>
<programs>
<default pathversion="1"></default>
</programs>
<video>
<source>
<name>Media</name>
<path pathversion="1">Z:\Media\</path>
<allowsharing>true</allowsharing>
</source>
</video>
<music>
</music>
<pictures>
</pictures>
<files>
<source>
<name>Media</name>
<path pathversion="1">Z:\Media\</path>
<allowsharing>true</allowsharing>
</source>
</files>
</sources>
I have turn on the debug log and looking at it, it seems like KODI will remove the files (mkv, srt) from selected but not the folder....
Only the file will be deleted.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
"Allow file renaming and deletion" do nothing0