Linux Is it possible to run a BitTorrent client in the background
I'm using Kodibuntu 14.2 on a NUC and would like to schedule Deluge (or something else) to download a daily video podcast at night so that I can watch it using Kodi the next day.

Do you have to log out of Kodi and into Kodibuntu each night so that Deluge can handle the download? Or can you leave Kodi running somehow and Deluge will start up in the background?
you can easily run any application in the background. Since kodi-standalone mode does not use a window manager, you should use a daemon service with a web gui. Most torrent clients support this, e.g. transmission
(2015-04-27, 17:29)wsnipex Wrote: you can easily run any application in the background. Since kodi-standalone mode does not use a window manager, you should use a daemon service with a web gui. Most torrent clients support this, e.g. transmission

To run Kodi I usually have to log out of Kodibuntu (where I would e.g. run Transmisson from) and then log back into Kodi - do you just run Kodi directly from kodibuntu (to avoid logging out)?

Sorry for the dumb questions and many thanks for your help.
I was trying to say that you do not need to login to the desktop session if you run transmission as deamon

see 4 and 5 from https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Transm...ion_Daemon
You could just run rtorrent in a screen.
Livingroom: 65" Panasonic Plasma, Denon AVR-x3300w, Parasound A31, Fronts: RBH SX-6300 Towers, Center: RBH 441-se, Surrounds: RBH 41-se Sub: Dual SVS PC13-Ultra, Source: Custom Kodi Box
Desk: DAC: Schiit Modi Multibit,Headphones: Schiit Jotunheim -> Sennheiser HD650 & Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro, Speakers: Parasound 275v2-> RBH 41-se & SVS SB12-NSD
yep rtorrent is perfect for this.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2015-04-27, 20:12)wsnipex Wrote: I was trying to say that you do not need to login to the desktop session if you run transmission as deamon

see 4 and 5 from https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Transm...ion_Daemon

Many thanks, I'll give that a go
(2015-04-28, 10:51)nickr Wrote: yep rtorrent is perfect for this.

Thanks for that - I'll also give this a go

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Is it possible to run a BitTorrent client in the background0