Kodi Temp folder taking up most storage space
Hi everyone,

My box is 99% allocated in storage space and 2.9 out of 4.5GB is taken by the Temp directory.

Total: 4.58GB
Temp - 2.90GB

In temp, these files are taking up all the space:

filecache001
filecache002
filecache004
filecache005

Is there any way to determine what and how this is happening along with measures to prevent it from re-occurring?

Thanks!
Remove those and disable "zero cache" in advanced settings.
Will do but I thought even with zero cache configured, kodi should auto flush the cache...this is what I was told anyway, is this not how Kodi functions with that setting configured?

Also to disable it, do I just delete the advancedsettings.xml file?
It is supposed to, but it seems there is some unexpected behavior when there isn't enough local drive space to store the cache.
hmm interesting, so this is not the typical behavior with Kodi. Is there any way for me to dig deeper to find out what exactly caused it and why? This is the second time running across this issue.

I'm also going to revert back, was told to delete the advancedsettings.xml file and have kodi rebuild it, or I can copy and replace from a fresh kodi installation file.
The zero cache has never worked well on devices with a low amount of memory. That's one of the reasons it's an advancedsetting and not something we have people turn on within the GUI. Any device with a low amount of internal storage shouldn't be using the zero cache setting.

The advancedsettings.xml file doesn't exist in normal installs. It's only used when the user wants to include additional settings. You can just delete the file and Kodi will work as it normally does.
Thanks a lot Ned.

I noticed the thumbnails also taking up a lot of space. I found the wiki on this. If I edit the advancedsettings.xml with the below, will it significantly reduce the size of thumbs going forward?

<advancedsettings>
<imageres>720</imageres>
<fanartres>1080</fanartres>
</advancedsettings>
In theory :)
Hi Ned. I'm new to the forum. I'm sorry to ask the same questions, but I haven't seemed to find the proper answer. I have amazon fire stick. what is the best advanced xml settings I can use, so I dont get the low storage space message every week or so? please let me know.
I can point you to this guide I made: HOW-TO:Reduce disk space usage (wiki)

and be sure to not use the "zero" buffer mode.

However, there are various add-ons out there that handle their own "cache", and do so very poorly, but I can't help you with most of those add-ons per our forum rules (wiki) on piracy/bootleg videos.
Okay thanks Ned. I read you guide. Pretty awesome. How do you have your cache setup at home with the fire stick or fire tv. Buffer mode-1 Cachemembuffersize-150000000 Readbufferfactor-10 Is that correct Ned?
I use example 4: http://kodi.wiki/view/HOW-TO:Modify_the_...#Example_4
Ok sweet. Thanks Ned. So with these settings, do you think i'll ever see the critical low storage message again on the fire stick?
I don't know if it would have any impact at all on such a message. All I can tell you is to not use the "zero" setting for buffersize, and that might help. There are an endless number of possible reasons that you could be running low on internal memory, including several that are not caused by Kodi.
hi ddzc....did you resolve this problem i have a similar issue and cannot find the answer!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi Temp folder taking up most storage space0