tearing on video playback
I get tearing during video playback. I'm using Arch linux and the Radeon open-source drivers. Under settings, video output, I have vsync set to always enable.

Kernel: 4.0.1-1-ARCH
Kodi 14.2
xf86-video-ati 1:7.5.0-2

Is there another setting I need to enable? Thanks
try disabling the X backing store, by launching it as X -bs
Hello wsnipex. Could you elaborate on your answer please? Do I run this command in a terminal? Or do I include it in an xsession file somewhere?
whereever arch linux starts your Xserver
I found a solution, but it is not the solution that I was expecting. I successfully disabled backing store but the problem kept occurring. I have a virtual environment that I use for testing and I opened an image that contains a very VERY basic install of arch (basically arch and kodi). The user-session in the /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf file is "kodi" so this session boots right into kodi (no desktop environment is installed). I updated this image to the latest arch packages and my videos played perfectly, absolutely no tearing.

I was hoping this solution would work outside the virtual environment. so I restarted my htpc and opened /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf file and changed the user-session from "xfce" to "kodi". Kodi booted right up but tearing still occurred Sad Then I uninstalled xfce4 completely. After I removed xfce4 kodi had no tearing!! Hooray!! I still have no idea why this worked. I still need a desktop environment so I switched to LXDE and everything has been fine so far. Maybe there was an xfce setting/app/service that was interfering with vsync. I simply don't have the energy or patience to explore this further. I'll stick with LXDE. Frankly I only use a desktop for the window manager. I need one for when I load my roms using Rom Collection Browser. Thanks for your help.
under xfce4 you have to disable desktop compositing(at least for full screen apps).
Ah, good to know. Didn't realize xfce had something like that.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
tearing on video playback0