Best option for multi-room & tv Kodi?
Hi--I have a HTPC Linux-based PC running Kodi on my main TV right now that works great. Have all of my music/movies/photos on the hard drive in the HTPC and backed up on a portable HD. I'm moving soon and I want to have Kodi capability on 2 and possibly 3 tvs instead of just one. What is the best option? I was thinking getting 1 or 2 Raspberry Pis to hook up locally to other tvs and then streaming from a centralized location my music, movies, etc. Do I need to be considering something like NAS to house all of my music, etc. instead of on the HTPC? Thanks for any input/help!!!
Sounds like your collection isn't out of hand storage wise. NAS is certainly not overkill, but might be a little more than the budget can handle, while a router with USB3 port or two would suffice. Instead of going the Raspberry route, some of the new Amlogic boxes are plenty cheap, some ready to go with Kodi and include remotes.
There is nothing wrong with storing your media on one of your media PC's as you are. Raspberry pi 2 is extremely capable. Chromebox is a great machine.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Thanks. My Asus router has USB ports x 2, but 2.0 not 3.0. I can never decide whether leaving my HTPC on all day is better for the drive's life vs. powering it up and down any given day and didn't know if having another arrangement would obviate the need to have my HTPC on when viewing/listening from another location/tv (e.g. Raspberry Pi, etc.) As far as looking at a NAS option, I was looking at something a little more reasonably priced such as this:

http://www.cnet.com/products/wd-my-cloud-ex2/

My storage needs aren't huge at the moment (although I have A LOT of music, mostly FLAC). Would like to be able to start to build a HD music library and movie library though and not worry about space so looking toward the future as well...

It looks like the Amlogic boxes are android devices? Although I run my HTPC via Linux, I control it via iPad and iPhone via constellation.
USB 2 is plenty fast enough, but many routers are just too weak to be serious media servers. Ok for storing your family pics and your kids homework files, but they tend to balk at sustained throughput.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Right, I think that is why I haven't used router USB ports to date and I guess I won't going forward either... Thoughts on the best way to upgrade my HTPC to be able to use Kodi in other rooms/Tvs in the house? Thinking Raspberry Pi x2 or 3 is the cheapest best way but not sure where to store my HD movies and music to allow seamless accessibility from wherever in the house I need it...
At present you probably don't need to upgrade it at all, just share the files via samba and point your pis at it.
Right, upgrade was the wrong word. HTPC runs great, just wondering if I need to store my files somewhere else so that my HTPC doesn't always have to be on...
Any thoughts about something like this

http://www.cnet.com/products/wd-my-cloud-ex2/

vs. storage directly plugged into my main HTPC?
I am deeply suspicious of WD products in this space. People always seem to be complaining that their products are substandard. However I have not used one myself.

smallnetbuilder.com has good reviews and I would go there before I bought anything along these lines.
WD My Cloud 4TB Personal Cloud Storage - NAS (WDBCTL0040HWT-NESN) at walmart for around $ 135.00
I purchased 2 of them one for home the other my Vacation home so you don't have to use all that energy with a FULL PC operating
I would go with the Raspberry PI 2 using OSMC its very easy to use. Most TV's have USB jack and that will power your PI
And when shopping for TV's try and get the ones that support CEC ! So the TV remote will work on your PI Smile

P.S. Don't forget to upgrade your network from 10/100 Ethernet to 10/100/1000

Western Digital is far better then Seagates ! I have a drawer full of failed hard drives
One HTPC Windows 7 pro 64x running WMC with 2 HDhomeRun on Comcast 6 tuners with MCEbuddy
WD MyCloud 24TB over Netgear network | 6500 movies and 40,000+ TV Show episodes
Nice to get a positive about the WD NAS, indeed it could well be worth a look then. Personally I would go for the 4 bay one to allow for expansion (you can never have enough disk space.)

You won't need GiGE for media, 100MBps should be sufficient. A bluray maxes out at under half that and most people have their media a lot more compressed than bluray!
cool, thanks. Probably going to pick up 1 or 2 raspberry pis to get xbmc throughout the house. Is CEC necessary, can't I just control the Pis with iphone/ipad xbmc remote like constellation?
(2015-05-04, 05:41)nickr Wrote: Nice to get a positive about the WD NAS, indeed it could well be worth a look then. Personally I would go for the 4 bay one to allow for expansion (you can never have enough disk space.)

You won't need GiGE for media, 100MBps should be sufficient. A bluray maxes out at under half that and most people have their media a lot more compressed than bluray!

That's the beauty of the New WD Cloud it has a built in USB3 to add more hard drives , and I already did and it works great ! No need for bays
One HTPC Windows 7 pro 64x running WMC with 2 HDhomeRun on Comcast 6 tuners with MCEbuddy
(2015-05-04, 15:28)ArtVandalay7 Wrote: cool, thanks. Probably going to pick up 1 or 2 raspberry pis to get xbmc throughout the house. Is CEC necessary, can't I just control the Pis with iphone/ipad xbmc remote like constellation?

Yes they work great with and Smart phone or Pad or you can get a cheap RF remote.
You really don't need a case for Raspberry just use double face tape stick it on the back or your TV.

The CEC comment was meant for in the Future if ever purchasing a TV and you will already own Raspberry's.

P.S. the New Raspberry Pi 2 use a Micro SD card be sure to get a class (10)

So your only costs will be Raspberry, micro sd card and and USB to micro USB cable unless your TV doesnot have a USB jack then get a good 2amp power supply

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Best option for multi-room & tv Kodi?0