Kodibuntu vs Ubuntu - Netflix, Drivers, and ubuntu multiverse
Hello,
This same topic has been frequently brought up, but there's some nuances I wasn't able to piece together.
I have been running a ubuntu server with xbmc on it for many years, and was generally happy with it. Unfortunately when it boots up, it put xbmc in a windowed mode (& remote not working), until I got a mouse out and clicked on the window, then it entered full screen and everything worked (ie, the app got focus).
The server otherwise runs a small webserver, a samba file server, mySQL server, phpMyAdmin, nzb/marashino/etc. Previously I'd also pop out of xbmc to access chrome and video chat with family with a webcam. I also frequently use the karaoke feature, although I no longer route the microphone audio through the pc, as a separate amp is a much simpler solution.
My hardware is now getting a bit flaky, and I'm getting rather old on my ubuntu distro, so it's time for a change.

I am interested in the xbmcbuntu/kodibuntu vs ubuntu + kodi
- I've heard that netflix now runs on current ubuntu distros. Is this also true for kodibuntu, then?
- Do I have the same access to the ubuntu universe/multiverse, or are aspects broken in the customization? (can I easily build the distro up just as easily?)
- Do all the same drivers work in Kodibuntu as do in ubuntu? (is there the same ongoing support for hardware?)

- Are there any reasons to not go with Kodibuntu and instead opt for the Ubuntu + Kodi approach for a Kodi first & server second application?

Thanks for your input!
kodibuntu = ubuntu 14.04 with pulse audio disabled and kodi preinstalled.
So everything that works in ubuntu 14.04 works in kodibuntu. If you need pulse audio, you have to remove the apt-pinning file that disables it.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodibuntu vs Ubuntu - Netflix, Drivers, and ubuntu multiverse0