KODI on Raspberry Pi 2 low performance?
Hi,
i just installed kodi-15 on my brand new raspberry Pi 2 model B, since i saw many vids on web showing how fast it was... but i cannot even watch a streaming video on youtube!

maybe is a matter of settings? what do i need to do? GUI works perfectly, is playing vids that ain't.
A debug log (wiki) may be useful.
Are you using WIFI?

wifi is really slow on the RP2, only network Lan works. And are you using a class 10 sd card? u need a class 10 or it will be slow.
(2015-05-05, 20:14)OurJermain Wrote: Are you using WIFI?

wifi is really slow on the RP2, only network Lan works. And are you using a class 10 sd card? u need a class 10 or it will be slow.

Well, not really, on either of those. Wifi is however as fast as the wifi adapter being used is (and the conditions of the environment as well). If you use a good wifi adapter then there shouldn't actually be any issue at all.

The same with class 10 cards. There are several class 6 and class 8 cards that are actually faster for Kodi usage on the Pi than some class 10 cards.
(2015-05-05, 19:54)MirkoB82 Wrote: Hi,
i just installed kodi-15 on my brand new raspberry Pi 2 model B, since i saw many vids on web showing how fast it was... but i cannot even watch a streaming video on youtube!

maybe is a matter of settings? what do i need to do? GUI works perfectly, is playing vids that ain't.

Are you running OpenElec or another distro? How are you watching YouTube? Some YT videos are now encoded in a format that the Pi (and many other platforms) can't hardware decode - so it isn't a great test.

I get great results playing 1080i, 1080p and 720p high bitrate H264 stuff from a local hard drive on my Pi 2.
(2015-05-05, 19:54)MirkoB82 Wrote: Hi,

My only observation is that any distro running Kodi 15 isn't intended to be stable as it is not yet a finished product. In my experience the Beta of any software is seldom reliable there will often be issues. I say running the latest stable Openelec would be you best bet;
HTPCs: 2 x Chromecast with Google TV
Audio: Pioneer VSX-819HK & S-HS 100 5.1 Speakers
Server: HP Compaq Pro 6300, 4GB RAM, 8.75TB, Bodhi Linux 5.x, NFS, MySQL
I have the same problem. I installed a Debian 8.0 Jessie image from the internet http://sjoerd.luon.net/posts/2015/02/deb...e-on-rpi2/. I had to install & configure WPA_supplicant package extra on that image, but WLAn adapter was recognized from the beginning. However, it seemed to be very slow, especially when using SAMBA it turned out to be too slow to make any SAMBA drive usable. This problem with internal WLAN speed i could solve by installing the "non-free contrib" package "realtek-firmware" from non-free debian jessie apt sources, but still my self-compiled Kodi 15 Isengard is not able to stream videos from the internet.

MP3 streaming seems to work at least partly. In the same WLAN network i tested Kodi on my Windows machines and it worked perfectly. Streaming videos was going smoothly there. I tried also to install on an Android device, but there was no add-ons available for installing thus, i was not able to test whether Android tablets could access internet streams via Kodi add-ons. However, i suspect that this would NOT work.
What i have observed is that on my router port forwarding is also done automatically in case of UPnP port forwarding. All my windows machines connected to the WLAN have some port forwrding entries concerning UPnP be it Skype, Tor or something else, but there is no entry for the RaspBerrry Pi 2 or for any of my Android devices. Maybe the problem is the way how UPnP is set up on the RaspBerry Pi 2? Maybe the role of the ADSL router is not respected or recognised as it should be, Kodi thinking that it is providing the UPnP services alone. In such case UPnP drivers maybe would need some configuration? Am i right? Solving that problem would maybe require to gain some knowlege in UPnP iinternals...

As for the video playback speed of RPi2. If Kodi is used to playback videos on USB attached hardware it is working nicely (BTW, i still have to check, whether Kodi can playback any multimedia files located on one of my Windows machines Samba (SMB) shares nicely..)
In the couple of days we've had the Pi (Openelec, latest stable) we've watched maybe four or five videos at 720p and 1080p (but not high bit-bitrate). These were stored on the LAN. None of them have re-buffered at all. Not once. Playback is almost instant. That's using an AC adapter but with a cheap 'N' router. So I don't think there is an intrinsic hardware limitation in play. A hundred other factors to consider probably. Meanwhile, my Pi's now locking up for no apparent reason. That's a topic for another thread I guess.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
KODI on Raspberry Pi 2 low performance?0