Raspberry Pi 2 Stuttering on Live TV
Seems that the movies all play well, but the Live TV through MythPVR frontend addon is incredibly choppy.

I'm running a Raspberry Pi 2 with OpenELEC. We are hard wired into a switch.

I've tried to slightly over clock and no improvements. I also adjusted a playback setting to make it so frame rate could be adjusted.

Still not help.

Any thoughts?
maybe missing decoder license?

Which codec are these channels?
Which version of Openelec are you using? Is playback fine on local video files?
HTPCs: 2 x Chromecast with Google TV
Audio: Pioneer VSX-819HK & S-HS 100 5.1 Speakers
Server: HP Compaq Pro 6300, 4GB RAM, 8.75TB, Bodhi Linux 5.x, NFS, MySQL
Are you watching MPEG2 or H264 Live TV?

If you are watching SD TV in most countries, or HD TV in the US, Canada, Australia, Mexico or Japan, then you are probably watching MPEG2, and will need the MPEG 2 licence - which is GBP£2.40 from the Pi Foundation store.

H264 content - which is used for HD TV in Europe, and most other countries I haven't listed, and in some countries also SD TV if they introduced digital TV recently - won't need a licence. (Out of the box the Pi plays H264 HDTV in Europe, but not MPEG2 SD - which confuses many as they think it should be the other way round)

Most movie files you have will be H264 and thus not need a licence.

The Pi needs a £2.40 licence for MPEG2 and a £1.20 licence for VC-1. There is no licence required for H264. This is because the Pi Foundation decided not to charge all Raspberry Pi owners the licence fees for the two codecs, as many users would not need the codecs, and they are more than 10% of the purchase price of the device.
How do you bring up the text while a video is playing to get all of the information like frame rate, cpu usage, codec, etc?

EDIT: Nevermind, I see it's "O" on the keyboard. And the problem channels (all channels so far) are MPEG-2.
(2015-05-06, 09:19)speedwell68 Wrote: Which version of Openelec are you using? Is playback fine on local video files?

I'm on 5.0.8. I was on whatever came with noobs for the Pi 2, but then I downloaded the newest OpenELEC and uploaded to the shared folder called "updates". Is there a simpler way to format the SD card and use an image? I don't have an SD card adapter so I don't have any ideas.

Suggestions?

Also, any other pi tweaks? I overclocked it a tad to help performance. I guess that I'm spoiled and making comparisons of this to the chromebox. Certainly not as smooth, but seems to work, outside of the MPEG 2 Live issues.
You need the MPEG 2 license for the Pi 2 to decode MPEG 2 video streams smoothly.

http://www.raspberrypi.com/mpeg-2-license-key/
(2015-05-06, 16:37)Living Legend Wrote:
(2015-05-06, 09:19)speedwell68 Wrote: Which version of Openelec are you using? Is playback fine on local video files?

I'm on 5.0.8. I was on whatever came with noobs for the Pi 2, but then I downloaded the newest OpenELEC and uploaded to the shared folder called "updates". Is there a simpler way to format the SD card and use an image? I don't have an SD card adapter so I don't have any ideas.

Suggestions?

Also, any other pi tweaks? I overclocked it a tad to help performance. I guess that I'm spoiled and making comparisons of this to the chromebox. Certainly not as smooth, but seems to work, outside of the MPEG 2 Live issues.

There is an issue that some people have experienced, myself included, with stuttering playback with Openelec 5.0.8 for no apparent reason. I downgraded to 5.0.7 and it was fine again.
HTPCs: 2 x Chromecast with Google TV
Audio: Pioneer VSX-819HK & S-HS 100 5.1 Speakers
Server: HP Compaq Pro 6300, 4GB RAM, 8.75TB, Bodhi Linux 5.x, NFS, MySQL
Just check OMX player is selected in Settings > Video > Hardware Acceleration

I know in Kodi Isengard. MMAL acceleration causes some issues with Live TV

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Raspberry Pi 2 Stuttering on Live TV0