Slow SAMBA Response
I have little over 300 movies in my SAMBA share drive. Kodi takes long to load the path and to play movies. I was able to get the path load faster and movies to play instantly by using <statfiles> in advancesettings, but I lose the library function. I can't sort by anything other than alphabetic order. Is there a better way?

Thanks in advance.
Are you playing your movies by File mode or something odd?

I have 300+ movies and 100+ TV shows but I let KODI manage them all by bring in them into the library after doing a scan.

Sounds to me like you have more fundamental problem with your SAMBA network. Are you running over WiFi to a NAS or something?

Both my KODI PC and the PC that the media is stashed on are old Core 2 Quad 6600 PCs with a gigbit network connecting them. KODI PC is running Win 8.1 and the Media is on an Win7 PC. This gives me a nice snappy interface without any real delays.

Give us a break down of the hardware you are using.

What is the KODI device? What type of network connection - wired or wireless?

Where are the films stored - on a Win PC, Linux PC, NAS? How is this device connected to your network?

What is your router? How old is it? Is it ISP supplied or self purchased?

Are you using Gigabit networking or WiFi?

What else is on that network?
(2015-05-09, 20:54)BatterPudding Wrote: Are you playing your movies by File mode or something odd?
File Mode, Library mode loads the movie list quick but takes times for to play the video

I have 300+ movies and 100+ TV shows but I let KODI manage them all by bring in them into the library after doing a scan.

Quote:Sounds to me like you have more fundamental problem with your SAMBA network. Are you running over WiFi to a NAS or something?

Both my KODI PC and the PC that the media is stashed on are old Core 2 Quad 6600 PCs with a gigbit network connecting them. KODI PC is running Win 8.1 and the Media is on an Win7 PC. This gives me a nice snappy interface without any real delays.

Give us a break down of the hardware you are using.

What is the KODI device? What type of network connection - wired or wireless?
I had KODI on atv2, pi, firetv and now on pi2. All devices wired connection.

Quote:Where are the films stored - on a Win PC, Linux PC, NAS? How is this device connected to your network?

What is your router? How old is it? Is it ISP supplied or self purchased?

videos are stored on a Win 7 PC and its wire connected to cisco e4200 router, which is wire connected TPlink giga switch. I have tried connecting it directly to the e4200 without the switch and made no difference.

Quote:Are you using Gigabit networking or WiFi?

What else is on that network?
Gigabit network, one more computer and a printer
Is "Combine split video items" enabled in settings -> video -> file lists?
Always read the online manual (wiki), FAQ (wiki) and search the forum before posting.
Do not PM or e-mail Team-Kodi members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
Please read the pages on troubleshooting (wiki) and bug reporting (wiki) before reporting issues.
Library should be fast. Please enable debug logging and pastebin the entire log so we can check what's going on there.
Always read the online manual (wiki), FAQ (wiki) and search the forum before posting.
Do not PM or e-mail Team-Kodi members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
Please read the pages on troubleshooting (wiki) and bug reporting (wiki) before reporting issues.
Logic says as the hardware has got faster yours speeds should be quicker to. When I click on a library film it starts near enough instantly from my Win7 box.

On your new PI-2 what is normal SAMBA access like? Does it feel snappy or delayed when using SAMBA outside of KODI.

Do you have any of the old devices still around that you could turn on to do a comparison?

Is that Win7 box falling asleep or anything?

Got any spare Ethernet cables? If yes - swap them with your current cables. Maybe you have a damaged cable.

mkortstirge will no doubt have some better ideas though once there is a debug log to look through.
(2015-05-11, 19:16)BatterPudding Wrote: Logic says as the hardware has got faster yours speeds should be quicker to. When I click on a library film it starts near enough instantly from my Win7 box.

On your new PI-2 what is normal SAMBA access like? Does it feel snappy or delayed when using SAMBA outside of KODI.

Do you have any of the old devices still around that you could turn on to do a comparison?

Is that Win7 box falling asleep or anything?

Got any spare Ethernet cables? If yes - swap them with your current cables. Maybe you have a damaged cable.

mkortstirge will no doubt have some better ideas though once there is a debug log to look through.

biggest difference i see is between folders that has few items. The folder list loads faster and movies plays instantly...
(2015-05-11, 16:57)mkortstiege Wrote: Is "Combine split video items" enabled in settings -> video -> file lists?

no its not.

Thanks
(2015-05-11, 19:16)BatterPudding Wrote: mkortstirge will no doubt have some better ideas though once there is a debug log to look through.

how do i insert the log? Keep getting this error

Please correct the following errors before continuing:
The message is too long. Please enter a message shorter than 65500 characters (currently 177454).
For getting a debug log see: Log file/Easy (wiki)
(2015-05-13, 03:28)Ned Scott Wrote: For getting a debug log see: Log file/Easy (wiki)

Thank you...that worked.
(2015-05-11, 19:16)BatterPudding Wrote: mkortstirge will no doubt have some better ideas though once there is a debug log to look through.

Log
http://xbmclogs.com/pvu7scciu

From line 1298 is all the test I did...not sure why all other stuff is there. I never turned on logging before today.

Thanks
No idea why it's that slow, sorry. "Combine split video items" is known to be slow as it will recurse into dirs to check whether or not a stackable video_ts/bdmv is present. You could try to add the same source by IP instead of name and check if it's any faster though.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Slow SAMBA Response0