Subtitle support
Hi!

For rendering media with subtitles (720p/1080p mkv h.264) how do subtitles get rendered and what are the minimum system requirements.

I have tried using a competitors software on my Linux server (1gb ram, athlon 62 x2 2ghz) and since they trans-code the entire video to inlay the subtitles it is very taxing on the server and I can not even play 480p videos that require subtitles without it buffering (no it is not a networking issue.)

So, what is the minimum requirement for streaming media with subtitles using kodi, or how exactly are they streamed to the client?

Thanks!
Anything that can run Kodi can use subtitles. There are no requirements for your file server other than using a supported protocol, like SMB (wiki) or NFS (wiki). Kodi doesn't require any transcoding and is the client software. Kodi has server-like features but is not really server software. Kodi is software you run on a box that is connected directly to the TV with an HDMI cable.
I see, my understanding was that it was a client/server package in which the server side transcodes the data for network streaming.

So essentially kodi is a front end for network shares and local files on the machine. That makes much more sense as to why and how it can run on such low performance platforms.

This question is a bit unrelated, but does kodi have support for automatically setting up SSHFS mounts (combination of SFTP and FUSE userland filesystems on Linux), or do those have to be done by hand for accessing media? Or I guess it wouldn't since I don't think other platforms has this feature natively.
its kodi for god sake *grrr*
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
(2015-05-10, 23:16)Memphiz Wrote: its kodi for god sake *grrr*

I don't know what you're talking about ^-^

Anyways this can be marked as solved as I have had my questions answered.

Thanks!
And i can still see your post history - cheater Wink
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
Just so you know Kodi does have built in support for SFTP (wiki) so there is no need to use a FUSE driver.
Raspberry Pi Model B 2 1024MB @ 1.0Ghz w/OSMC
--Decommissioned-- Raspberry Pi Model B 512MB @ 1.0Ghz w/ 3TB USB Drive Running Open Media Vault

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Subtitle support0