Spin down DVD ROM drive
hi folks.

I'm rather new to the Raspberry world with linux, coding and so on and English is not my mother tongue... so please be patient with me Smile

My new HTPC is a Raspberry Pi 2 model B running Kodi 14.2. My problem is that my DVD drive (Samsung SE-B18) is spinning way too fast - hence too loud - while playing a CD or DVD.

After spending several days google'ing for a solution I come here with a last cry for help.

So far I have tried the following.

- Checked with cat /proc/sys/dev/cdrom/info if my drive supports speed changes - yes.
- The eject tool used in Kodi obviously does not have the -X parameter (for setting the drive speed). The hdparm -E command works, though.
- Created a file in /etc/udev/rules.d/ trying various commands in that rules file and trying various names for that file.
- Checking with udevadm test /sys/class/block/sr0 to see if this rule is applied to my drive. It says it is but the drive keeps spinning at top speed.
- Created an autostart.sh file in /storage/.config containing the hdparm command.

Until now, nothing works after ejecting and inserting a new CD or DVD.

The command /sbin/hdparm -E 8 /dev/sr0 typed in the console works just fine. I can stop the playback of the CD and start it again later and it still spins at 8x speed... but reloading the CD resets the drive to 24x speed.

Did anybody here solve this problem permanently?
I thought maybe I could run a script (containing the hdparm command) every time I press "play" on my remote but that surpasses my knowledge in these matters.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Best regards,
- dryelo

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Spin down DVD ROM drive0