looking for a nice device to run kodi
hey i latlay start to learn the kodi and start to use it more and more.

now i want to put one in the living room i need a divce that run just kodi(xbmc) whit werless wi-fi and a controler or remot conrol(can be just a extra usb for a keyboard).

i need it for a 42 lcd tv to run movies and sires at 1080P.

the use to see and strem movies and sires that is the mean use so i need a good device that run it properly not expensiv but also that wont have alot of problems becus in my cuntry thar is no support or sell tis devices i have to buy it from other cunry.

and i see in many forum that the OpenELEC is the best for kodi so if it rely good a device that can run it Smile
Sorry - the add ons you discuss are not suitable for discussion here...
(2015-05-11, 16:01)noggin Wrote: Sorry - the add ons you discuss are not suitable for discussion here...

its ok now?
To just run Kodi really well with the best 1080p video modes, pick either of the first two devices in this thread... they are very popular and very well supported. Those being the RPi2 or the Chromebox.

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=94268

If its an Android device and you value perfectly synced video playback have a read of this before proceeding....

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid2002191

Definitely beware Android devices if you care about picture quality, sound quality etc. and only need Kodi.

You are usually much better off with devices that run Linux (including OpenElec - which is a cut-down Linux distro) as you get better picture quality (frame rate adjustment, in many cases proper 23.976/59.94 output rather than 24.00 and 60.00 with micro stutter, deinterlacing etc.) and sound quality (in many cases you get HD Audio bitstreamed to your amp)

This is particularly true if you use Kodi to watch your own Blu-ray or DVD content or Live/Recorded TV.
(2015-05-12, 11:40)noggin Wrote: Definitely beware Android devices if you care about picture quality, sound quality etc. and only need Kodi.

You are usually much better off with devices that run Linux (including OpenElec - which is a cut-down Linux distro) as you get better picture quality (frame rate adjustment, in many cases proper 23.976/59.94 output rather than 24.00 and 60.00 with micro stutter, deinterlacing etc.) and sound quality (in many cases you get HD Audio bitstreamed to your amp)

This is particularly true if you use Kodi to watch your own Blu-ray or DVD content or Live/Recorded TV.

tnx all for your help i buy the RPI2-b becus the tax and priece in my cuntry is alot! Sad

so now i just wait for it Smile
(2015-05-15, 08:48)elawav07 Wrote:
(2015-05-12, 11:40)noggin Wrote: Definitely beware Android devices if you care about picture quality, sound quality etc. and only need Kodi.

To be honest, i just feel tired on reading your message cuz i don't get what the data means Sad
Can you explain it to me?:p

He means that Android struggles to play videos at the correct framerate so you get stuttering. The common problem is many Films are filmed at 23.976 frames per second. Most Android devices play this back at 24 frames per second so to compensate for the different framerates you get stuttering.

Also Android boxes seem to struggle with HD audio so if sound quality is a factor be aware an android box maynot give you the best quality.

Noggin will be able to explain much better than me but as I had no idea what this all meant 2 years ago I thought id put my basic explanation in
goujam is right - but there are also issues that even if the Android box can output the right frame rates, it doesn't always support automatic switching to the frame rate. If you watch 25Hz content at 60Hz it looks horrible, but it looks great at 50Hz. If you watch 23.976Hz content at 50Hz it judders badly, but it looks great if you can output at 23.976Hz (and better than 50Hz at 59.94Hz). Having to manual change the refresh rate for each different frame rate video you watch gets boring very quickly. Some Android boxes have hacks to allow this to be avoided - but this isn't standardised AIUI (Though Android TV in Android 5.0 Lollipop finally adds support?)

If all you want is to watch streamed video in stereo, and don't care much about picture or sound quality, Android solutions are cheap and quite easy to set-up. If you want decent picture and sound quality - then something like the Pi 2 is a better bet.
One question I'm still asking myself about this video sync issues, and general uncertainties with good video format support on Android boxes....

Are the problems related with Android, or with the cheap ARM processors used in these boxes?

Is this actually more a limitation of the hardware video processing units in such ARM cpu?

Pierre
(2015-05-16, 19:38)pbureau Wrote: One question I'm still asking myself about this video sync issues, and general uncertainties with good video format support on Android boxes....

Are the problems related with Android, or with the cheap ARM processors used in these boxes?

Is this actually more a limitation of the hardware video processing units in such ARM cpu?

Pierre

It's unlikely to be the VPUs in the ARM SoCs (i.e. the bits of the chips that do the video decoding). Android, until very recently, had lots of missing functionality when it came to stuff that is required for high quality video (like on-the-fly refresh rate switching etc.) There are also, or were, major API issues in accessing hardware acceleration for multiple codecs in Android (H264 + AAC was well supported - but MPEG2, VC-1, HEVC etc. were less well supported by standard Android stuff?)

There are hardware limitations in some SoCs - particularly when it comes to the 1000/1001 modes such as 23.976 and 59.94Hz, an in some cases in accessing de-interlacing I believe.
AMlogic seem to be progressing well in the ARM / Android space with a more open approach to programming interfaces to access the underlying Hardware.
They have some impressive SoC's that have been released recently that have great VPU's that produce really nice deinterlacing and HEVC decoding as well as decoding the more difficult mpeg2 and VC-1 codecs. As an example I am seeing virtually visually perfect 24p sync of HEVC (H265) video when using a AMlogic S805 on Android. This also comes with on the fly refresh rate switching. 24p sync of H264 is still a WIP.

(2015-05-16, 19:38)pbureau Wrote: One question I'm still asking myself about this video sync issues, and general uncertainties with good video format support on Android boxes....

Pierre

Don't forget the original raspberry pi has a fairly weak arm processor (but a good vpu). And this copes very well with frame rate switching
(2015-05-17, 07:29)wrxtasy Wrote: AMlogic seem to be progressing well in the ARM / Android space with a more open approach to programming interfaces to access the underlying Hardware.
They have some impressive SoC's that have been released recently that have great VPU's that produce really nice deinterlacing and HEVC decoding as well as decoding the more difficult mpeg2 and VC-1 codecs. As an example I am seeing virtually visually perfect 24p sync of HEVC (H265) video when using a AMlogic S805 on Android. This also comes with on the fly refresh rate switching. 24p sync of H264 is still a WIP.

Let's hope they help ODroid actually deliver 1080/50p and 1080/60p output without sound drop outs and flashes to black on lots of AV Amps with the C1... Seriously can't believe that such a major fault is taking so long to rectify.
Very much agreed. 24Hz only at the moment unfortunately. I wish they would get their $hit together. Sad

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
looking for a nice device to run kodi0